Erick Silva: "This fight made me realize I still don't belong in the top"

So he wants to fight cans and "improve," I can live with that, he is exciting to watch for the first few minutes.

Well, he just gained me as a fan. Cheers for taking your loss like a man.

314178_10200320800720524_1999142845_n.jpg

Honorable mentions
Edson Barboza would not have been ko'ed by Cerrone if he didn't blink when he got hit.
JDS after the 2nd Cain fight had a divorce, had kidney problems,
Anderson only took 5 rounds to finish Sonnen because of his rib

Some of us are trolls and like to look for negative traits in those who are more successful than us and use that to make gross generalizations based on nationality and race.

Others of us like to look for and celebrate the positives from those who put their health on the line to entertain us.

Care to make a guess on which group is generally more successful in life?

Really glad to hear that Silva has an honest assessment of the situation, here's to hoping he starts training at Jackson's

That's what I was thinking. Greg Jackson might just be what Silva needs; better/more training partners plus a new strategy and gameplan going into his next fight.

Funny you reference Mir but ignore Nog, the king of excuses, who happens to be.... Brazilian!

Not every Brazilian is an excuse waiting to happen, but to ignore that many of them have made some interesting comments following losses, is also foolish.

Mir has given more excuses than Nog. That is the funny thing about it. Nog somehow gained the reputation as a major excuse maker when plenty of others make more excuses.

Mir has used jet lag, bronchitis, forgetting that he could punch etc as excuses for performances.

Nog got his rep from an interview when someone asked him point blank if he was hospitalized for staph before the Mir fight. He confirmed that it was true (just like most people do when asked)

Mir whined about it even though Mir has been one of the biggest excuse makers for years.

The following explanation has somehow been twisted by trolls in to an excuse by Nog:

Two days after UFC president Dana White was shaking his head during the UFC 141 conference call wondering aloud what ever possessed Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira to opt to try to choke out a rocked Frank Mir rather than finish him up on the ground with punches during their UFC 140 bout a week and a half ago, and “Big Nog” has offered an explanation.

Last Saturday I fought and lost via submission for the first time in my career; it was a bad feeling, but it’s part of the sport. Everything that happens in a fight is quick and the fighter acts most based on his instincts and reflexes than [what's] on his mind. I knew I made a mistake as I tried to submit [my opponent] on a fight where I could have won by KO,” Nogueira wrote. “When Frank Mir was practically knocked out I heard the referee tell me to stop punching him at the neck and that is when I tried to choke him. Mir put himself together and must be congratulated for submitting me. I checked the videos and I wasn’t hitting him on the neck, but on Mir’s side of the head, which is allowed.”

“But I’m not here to apologize. I lost. I’ll recover from my arm injury and then move on, probably on the second UFC Rio of 2012. The good thing about the loss was that I got many supporting messages, and I really thank the great treatment that the boss (Dana White) gave mein Canada. Dana used to tell me ‘Nog we’re not sparing any expense, you’ll have the best experts so you come back soon and well. I’m sure I’ll still fight for many years. I fight because I like it and I feel I’m in one of the best moments of my career.”

Last edited:
Very humble and realistic. I hope he comes back better.

So let me get this straight, he almost finishes the guy in the first round, but then gasses, and then the guy STILL can't put him away for two rounds even tho he's gassed beyond belief, and his conclusion is that he can't hang with Matt Brown?

Some of us are trolls and like to look for negative traits in those who are more successful than us and use that to make gross generalizations based on nationality and race.

Others of us like to look for and celebrate the positives from those who put their health on the line to entertain us.

Care to make a guess on which group is generally more successful in life?

Considering the world's history, the 1st category has ruled the world with an iron fist for centuries.

Some us can't take a joke and need to take everything to heart.

Others of us know how to take a joke and don't get upset over the slightest thing.

Care to make a guess on which group generally lives happier lives?

Guess excuses are an individual thing, not a "Brazilian" thing. Damnit. Stereotyping is so fun why does it always end up disproven!?

Right up there with nog is another famous brazilian.

Joani Hendrixao.

Handwraps
70%
Hurt hand
Saving energy
Bad jujus from GSPs drug test.

War silva cany wait for him to gey in a good camp and become a killer

Considering the world's history, the 1st category has ruled the world with an iron fist for centuries.

Some us can't take a joke and need to take everything to heart.

Others of us know how to take a joke and don't get upset over the slightest thing.

Care to make a guess on which group generally lives happier lives?

Lol good one. I wanted to give the other guy a box of Kleenex, obviously you were making a joke

He's young and full of potential and will make his way to the upper tier in time

So let me get this straight, he almost finishes the guy in the first round, but then gasses, and then the guy STILL can't put him away for two rounds even tho he's gassed beyond belief, and his conclusion is that he can't hang with Matt Brown?

He gasses every fight he has lost so yes that is a huge weakness. DHK took his head off his shoulders, Fitch looked drowned him by the end of the fight, and Brown slaughtered him while surviving the best he had to offer. Silva gassed as soon as they stood back up before round one was even finished getting beat on for several minutes while your out of breath isn't fun. Erik is tough, but tough means little except more receiving more damage when you aren't a threat anymore in a fight.

The top Welterweights aren't the guys he overwhelms they can survive his round one onslaught and once they do Silva has little left. A one round fighter offers little threat to the top dogs he needs to train even harder, and approach thing differently. Erik knows this now.

About the Brazilian excuse thing:

People labeled Nog as an excuse maker and then everytime a Brazilian would make excuses they would add fuel to the fire.

Guys like Mir make more excuses and get a pass somehow (Bronchitis, jet lag, forgetting that he could punch, coming back too early 2 years after his accident etc)

Below is an example of a quote that trolls attack Nog for. Read it. Is it really that bad?

"Two days after UFC president Dana White was shaking his head during the UFC 141 conference call wondering aloud what ever possessed Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira to opt to try to choke out a rocked Frank Mir rather than finish him up on the ground with punches during their UFC 140 bout a week and a half ago, and “Big Nog” has offered an explanation.

Last Saturday I fought and lost via submission for the first time in my career; it was a bad feeling, but it’s part of the sport. Everything that happens in a fight is quick and the fighter acts most based on his instincts and reflexes than [what's] on his mind. I knew I made a mistake as I tried to submit [my opponent] on a fight where I could have won by KO,” Nogueira wrote. “When Frank Mir was practically knocked out I heard the referee tell me to stop punching him at the neck and that is when I tried to choke him. Mir put himself together and must be congratulated for submitting me. I checked the videos and I wasn’t hitting him on the neck, but on Mir’s side of the head, which is allowed.”

“But I’m not here to apologize. I lost. I’ll recover from my arm injury and then move on, probably on the second UFC Rio of 2012. The good thing about the loss was that I got many supporting messages, and I really thank the great treatment that the boss (Dana White) gave mein Canada. Dana used to tell me ‘Nog we’re not sparing any expense, you’ll have the best experts so you come back soon and well. I’m sure I’ll still fight for many years. I fight because I like it and I feel I’m in one of the best moments of my career.”

This is considered one of his big excuses. If anyone else said it no one would care.

Eric Silver couldn't handle Matt Brown's riddum. He'll be back. He can fight Magney.

Dude took an ass whipping from hell, I hope he comes back and goes on a tear. Also he identified his weaknesses, now let's hope he can find the fix for them.

Ah. This is making me a bigger Silva fan. The guy wasn't that cocky to begin with.

The kid does figtht hard and I hope he can make a good comeback.

Back