Epic Beer Thread 22.0 - The Sculpin Drain Pour Incident

Anything. o_O

I'm opening a bottle of 2013 Tart of Darkness [Bruery], a year old Stone w00tstout [first year of five aging bottles], and a handful of BCBS Coffees on Wednesday. My buddy might bring by some aged Stone brews from last year as well. Not to mention a 12 pack of Dale's.

That w00tstout is really good. It's gonna be great aged.

At least we can all agree I am a grown ass man.

Cheers

That w00tstout is really good. It's gonna be great aged.

Absolutely. I don't think it got enough credit. One of the best stouts I've had. Stone is doing a new one soon, as well.

People's feelings really get hurt when two posters have a disagreement in these threads, LOL. It would be funny if it wasn't so queer. It's a great thing that a few of these 'beer fans' live so far apart, otherwise they might have a few too many during a night on the town and start blowing each other.

For fucks sake, Hohner is a grown ass man (MASShole), some of you people take this way too seriously when someone disagrees with your E-friend.

Great thread title, BTW.

Cheers Hohner.

Why am I being thrown in here?

You could, ya know, tone it down a bit. As Sasquatch pointed out, you're being kind of know-it-all up in here. There's disagreeing, and then there's "STFU I know more than you do" and you're falling into the latter so far. Perhaps if you actually contributed knowledge instead of "I'm right, you're wrong." people would want to listen.

Why am I being thrown in here?

You could, ya know, tone it down a bit. As Sasquatch pointed out, you're being kind of know-it-all up in here. There's disagreeing, and then there's "STFU I know more than you do" and you're falling into the latter so far. Perhaps if you actually contributed knowledge instead of "I'm right, you're wrong." people would want to listen.

At the end of the last thead, you made a comment that another poster and i should start our own thread, that was a smart ass and unnecessary comment. At some point during these last few years, the circle jerk has convinced themselves that these threads are their invention, when in fact they were around before you all even joined.

When two people are disputing facts, there is a right and a wrong. As it would have it, I happened to be right in both instances, oops. If having a person post here that is more knowledgable than some hurts your feelings, there's not much I can do for you. When people make statements that argue their point, they should be able to defend their stance. Being right doesn't make me a pretentious asshole, getting blasted by an ignorant and argumentative flock does.

I've had Sculpin. I thought it was decent but not really worth the price point (something like $15 for a sixer around here).

I'm also under the impression from my beer studies that a two month old IPA may be a bit faded but really shouldn't be terrible compared to its fresher siblings. Ballast point themselves even says to enjoy their hop-forward beers within 120 days of bottling. I would chalk it up to some very strange handling (wide temperature variance), direct sun exposure, or maybe bottling contamination. Sitting on a store shelf for two months shouldn't cause that problem but may exacerbate an already existing problem.

At the end of the last thead, you made a comment that another poster and i should start our own thread, that was a smart ass and unnecessary comment. At some point during these last few years, the circle jerk has convinced themselves that these threads are their invention, when in fact they were around before you all even joined.

When two people are disputing facts, there is a right and a wrong. As it would have it, I happened to be right in both instances, oops. If having a person post here that is more knowledgable than some hurts your feelings, there's not much I can do for you. When people make statements that argue their point, they should be able to defend their stance. Being right doesn't make me a pretentious asshole, getting blasted by an ignorant and argumentative flock does.

Quiet down kiddo.

I was able to disagree with that poster without being a dick. It is possible, you should try it sometime...

Ever heard the saying "It's not about what you say, but how you say it?"

No one wants to listen to an asshole, even if the asshole is right. By no means am I saying you were right, but rather I am saying your tone is horrendous, and as others have pointed out disagreements are fine and accepted.

It's funny knowing you had to rejoin too.

I was able to disagree with that poster without being a dick. It is possible, you should try it sometime...

Yeah, this is what i'm getting at. I mean...it's not like Hohner was trying to say that an IPA should be JUST as good after a trip across the country and a warm store shelf. IF he was making that claim, i'd say you would be fairly justified in being a dick because that's a stupid claim. He was just saying that it shouldn't turn into undrinkable swill after 60 days in the bottle just because it wasnt refrigerated the whole time, which I suppose is in the eye...or...the mouth of the beholderor or something.

Pedro is right that clearly the beer wouldn't be as hoppy and as good. But as far as whether it would go from being a great beer when fresh and kept cold to being a shitty beer after 2 months and an unrefrigerated shelf...that depends on both the storage conditions during the life of the beer and on the drinker's taste.

Ya, sell a kidney to be able to afford any of them. All of their bombers are ~$30 a pop. Fuck that.

And to whomever told you Black Tuesday, that's a brewery-only one day release that requires tickets to buy. So I'm gonna guess you aren't getting your hands on that one...

$30? Thats fucking outrageous. The ones I have seen were $8-$15.

At least we can all agree I am a grown ass man.

Cheers

You are an infant imho.

Half of my Opals are gone already.....I may have a problem.

I've had Sculpin. I thought it was decent but not really worth the price point (something like $15 for a sixer around here).

I'm also under the impression from my beer studies that a two month old IPA may be a bit faded but really shouldn't be terrible compared to its fresher siblings. Ballast point themselves even says to enjoy their hop-forward beers within 120 days of bottling. I would chalk it up to some very strange handling (wide temperature variance), direct sun exposure, or maybe bottling contamination. Sitting on a store shelf for two months shouldn't cause that problem but may exacerbate an already existing problem.

This, 100%.

I'm on the East Coast, and most of the West Coast IPAs on the shelf around a month old, and I've had some two month old, and they do fade. They don't get terrible, though.

As for my opinion on Sculpin: I've had it fresh [within a week of bottling] and I've bought it off the shelf. Of course it's better fresh, but it's one of those beers that gets it's reputation for being so well-balanced. I'm not a big fan of well-balanced IPAs. Pliny The Elder is a damn good beer, but didn't have enough of an extreme to it to tickle my fancy.

I'm thinking about signing up for the bruerys preservation society just so I can get my hands on some of that rare shit. Maybe eventually make my way into the hoarders society.

Also to the op, yulesmith is one of the best summer IPAs I've had so far this year. Big fan of alesmith.

A lot of limited stuff is in the 30-35 dollar range.

Im guessing these would be some really rare ones. Most Ive ever paid was around $20 for Abyss/Parabolas/etc.

Im guessing these would be some really rare ones. Most Ive ever paid was around $20 for Abyss/Parabolas/etc.

Yeah, it's stuff like Bois and Fruet. And they sit on the shelf for a while too compared to well regarded limited stuff in the minus 20 range. That stuff will sell out in a day.

You are an infant imho.

Half of my Opals are gone already.....I may have a problem.

Did you get a full case? I would pound those back like they were a warm bottle...er...something manly.

This, 100%.

I'm on the East Coast, and most of the West Coast IPAs on the shelf around a month old, and I've had some two month old, and they do fade. They don't get terrible, though.

As for my opinion on Sculpin: I've had it fresh [within a week of bottling] and I've bought it off the shelf. Of course it's better fresh, but it's one of those beers that gets it's reputation for being so well-balanced. I'm not a big fan of well-balanced IPAs. Pliny The Elder is a damn good beer, but didn't have enough of an extreme to it to tickle my fancy.

That was my point in a nutshell. I know the difference between a faded ipa and a fresh one, and this was much more that that.

A lot of this stuff is obviously a matter of opinion, and I said Snub had a point that some crazy stuff might have happened to it during those two months to cause the problem, but my statement was that two months at room temp doesn't make a world class beer taste like complete shit.

Back