Epic Beer Thread 22.0 - The Sculpin Drain Pour Incident

$30? Thats fucking outrageous. The ones I have seen were $8-$15.

Now granted, I live in PA and PA beer prices are generally higher than the mean but Bruery bombers I see range from $24 to $30 a piece. They are one of 4 breweries on my personal blacklist due to price points, the other 3 being Nebraska, Mikkeller, and Evil Twin. All 4 are outrageously expensive.

Now granted, I live in PA and PA beer prices are generally higher than the mean but Bruery bombers I see range from $24 to $30 a piece. They are one of 4 breweries on my personal blacklist due to price points, the other 3 being Nebraska, Mikkeller, and Evil Twin. All 4 are outrageously expensive.

Stuff like Saison Rue and Mischief?

To be honest, I never really give them a second look because of their price point. I know I have seen Mischief but I am not sure of Saison Rue. The lowest I think I've ever seen a Bruery bomber that I can distinctly remember is $24 and that was in Indy a few weeks back.

Around here Bruery bottles are usually between $11 and $25. I've had a few, and they have all been pretty good, but I usually decide not to get their higher end ones. I got a bottle of the Mikkeller breakfast stout for $12 the other day, well worth it imo. Evil Twin is usually pretty cheap here. I think I paid $7.50 for the bombers of Ron and the Beast Ryan.

I'm hitting up NYC soon. What breweries should I visit?

I'm hitting up NYC soon. What breweries should I visit?

Brooklyn and Sixpoint are the only breweries I can think of in the city.

Heartland brewery, which is a brewpub chain with locations all over manhattan is pretty good.

What are the similarities between saisons and sours? I really enjoy sours but a few years ago I had a saison from dogfish head that was off putting, too much raisin sweetness and thickness in mouth feel and I've never been back.

Reading sone these descriptions maybe I've been missing out.

What are the similarities between saisons and sours? I really enjoy sours but a few years ago I had a saison from dogfish head that was off putting, too much raisin sweetness and thickness in mouth feel and I've never been back.

Reading sone these descriptions maybe I've been missing out.

Saisons can be a little tart. When I think Saison I think Belgian/Wild Yeast (like sours) with a peppery back end and a dry finish. Color/Body should be on the pale ale side of things. Raisin and thickness isn't something I associate with them.

Saisons can be a little tart. When I think Saison I think Belgian/Wild Yeast (like sours) with a peppery back end and a dry finish. Color/Body should be on the pale ale side of things. Raisin and thickness isn't something I associate with them.

Thanks that sounds right in my wheel house.

Shouldn't be any dark fruit in a saison. Should be light and crisp not sweet and thick. DFH makes some great beers but I've also had a lot of misses from them.

I really wish Lagunitas would bottle their Saison again. It's what put me onto the style. A bit more hoppy as you'd expect from them.

Drinking Hell Or High Watermelon
Good summer beer imo

I associate saisons with a musty, funky, hay taste/smell more than anything. They are usually light in color, highly carbonated, and very drinkable. On top of that, depending on the yeast used and the temp of fermentation, they will be fruity, peppery, tart, sour, mediciney, mentholy, or any combination of those. They range from incredibly complex to incredibly boring. Due to the possible wide range of flavors and flavor combinations they can be anywhere from amazing to horrendous, but that is a matter of taste.

Had some bootlegger's palomino pale ale. Citrus forward on the aroma but a little too much malt sweetness in the building aftertaste.

I drank these yesterday at barcade nyc. can't remember too much about them as i was wrecked. the reuze was too fucking sour though.

Bruery Rueuze
Chelsea “Maker’s Mark” Strong Ale
Climax Golden Ale
Heavy Seas Holy Sheet
Sixpoint Righteous Ale

of course i fucked up and did not get Dogfish Head Namaste

Funky Buddha is starting distribution to Orlando next Friday. Pretty excited.

Funky Buddha is starting distribution to Orlando next Friday. Pretty excited.

You lucky son of a bitch. If they ever bottle that PB&J brown ale PLEASE let me know. It's the one beer my wife loves and i'd love to surprise her with some!

Consuming a Heady Topper while finalizing PA (mostly philly area) mini beercation coming up this weekend.

So far on the list:

Troegs
Victory
Yards Brewing
Tired Hands
Barcade
Monks Cafe
Iron Hill Brew Pub
Earth Bread + Brewery

I hate you with a fiery passion, but I do like Holy Sheet. Can you recall enough of the evening to remember what you thought of that one?

Namaste is a nice summer beer IMO

I am a hoegaarden lover so i think namaste would have been up my alley.

i had 2 of the holy sheet and i don't think it was that bad as i had two of them. seeing that they are 9% alcohol that is probably why i got as wrecked as i did. definitely was not the worst i had during the night. the six point was the worst followed by reuze.

I will try a lot of different beers and drink it all even if it tastes like shit (at a bar).

they were all better than the shitty dogfish head brown shit i drank last weekend.

You would probably like the holy sheet.

if you live near a barcade get in there.

Back