Crime Empire star attacked . Claims racial and homophobic slurs were yelled at him

Do you think Empire star Jussie Smollett is a victim of a hate crime, or is it a false flag?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
your position is that the media actually knew these details and just ignored them to push a narrative.

That's not my position.

My position is that it is wrong for powerful media outlets to publish very flimsy accounts like this one without thorough investigation of the details, particularly when the reporting is likely to inflame racial tensions.

I do not believe that this story would have been reported in the most influential outlets if the races had been reversed.

That's not my position.

My position is that it is wrong for powerful media outlets to publish very flimsy accounts like this one without thorough investigation of the details, particularly when the reporting is likely to inflame racial tensions.

I do not believe that this story would have been reported in the most influential outlets if the races had been reversed.
I don't know about that. The Mollie Tibbetts story was massive last year.

I just find it very hard to believe that anyone who posts in here isn't aware of the situation. @Jack V Savage acted like he didn't pay attention to this when he literally has an opinion on everything.

I think Jack's position is that this is uninteresting because it's just a single case and a single case can never prove media bias. I think Jack would prefer that one of the pundits he trusts (e.g., Paul Krugman, Matt Yglesias) cite an academic study to address the media bias issue.

I think Jack's position is that this is uninteresting because it's just a single case and a single case can never prove media bias. I think Jack would prefer that one of the pundits he trusts (e.g., Paul Krugman, Matt Yglesias) cite an academic study to address the media bias issue.

I think Jack is a liar unless it fits his bias

Well it’s a damn good thing they are taking it seriously. If 2 maga guys did do that then I hope they’re caught. This shit has been happening across North America for far too long unchecked.

rampage_stare.gif

I don't know about that. The Mollie Tibbetts story was massive last year.

I don't think that's a good comparison. Isn't it the case that young girls disappearing and/or turning up dead often get big media coverage in the US, especially if many people consider the abductee to be beautiful?

(Examples: JonBenét Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart)

These cases just aren't that common, and missing young girls really tug at the heart strings. Great for clicks/views/ad revenue.

On the other hand, this actor guy didn't die and if I'm understanding correctly there isn't even any evidence that he was injured. Quite reckless on the part of MSM, don't you think?

For like the 20th time I haven't followed this case lol. I voted that it happened because the initial report sounding reasonable to me.

Well, that's a problem. It only sounded "reasonable" because of the world view you hold. Is it really "reasonable" that some folks advertised their hate by wearing "MAGA" hats, while beating the shit out of a gay black dude, shouting "this is MAGA country!", and stringing him up with a rope to lynch him?

Ask yourself if that is "reasonable", or a ridiculous, cliche story told by a guy wanting to confirm certain peoples' biases? What if he said they were in full Klan garb? Would you have believed that too?

Well, that's a problem. It only sounded "reasonable" because of the world view you hold. Is it really "reasonable" that some folks advertised their hate by wearing "MAGA" hats, while beating the shit out of a gay black dude, shouting "this is MAGA country!", and stringing him up with a rope to lynch him?

Ask yourself if that is "reasonable", or a ridiculous, cliche story told by a guy wanting to confirm certain peoples' biases? What if he said they were in full Klan garb? Would you have believed that too?
And it only sounds unreasonable because of the world view you hold, that's how these things work. It's the same thing that happened after the Vegas shooting. Trump supporters were immediately declaring the suspect to be a Muslim or ANTIFA and saying we needed to shut the borders and be on attack and when it was revealed he was white they couldn't accept it. We are all informed by our political biases. Given that I find the ideology of Donald Trump to be dangerous and have seen it lead to violence I find it believable that it would in this case too. Since you support the ideology of Donald Trump and don't think it relates to violence you don't. If you happen to be right this time all it means is you happen to be right this time.

For the record I think the this is maga country stuff came out after the article I read.

I don't think that's a good comparison. Isn't it the case that young girls disappearing and/or turning up dead often get big media coverage in the US, especially if many people consider the abductee to be beautiful?

(Examples: JonBenét Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart)

These cases just aren't that common, and missing young girls really tug at the heart strings. Great for clicks/views/ad revenue.

On the other hand, this actor guy didn't die and if I'm understanding correctly there isn't even any evidence that he was injured. Quite reckless on the part of MSM, don't you think?
It's actually called missing white woman syndrome lol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome . I'm curious if you were the head of CNN how you would handle a story like this. A famous actor claims he was violently attacked. Your reaction is what? Wait a week to report it? I am asking seriously.

Its funny people are more mad about this than the African American woman who almost beat a man to death with a brick because of his Mexican race. This is America.

We are mad at the bullshit fake news who push lies and narratives over actual news.

The Covington High School thing was huge on all major social media platforms and was discussed in all MSM outlets including PBS, NY Times, Washington Post, CNN. Were you living under a rock during that period?
The demonstrative ''this" in my post was referring to the matter at hand, juxtaposing it against Covington.

And it only sounds unreasonable because of the world view you hold, that's how these things work. It's the same thing that happened after the Vegas shooting. Trump supporters were immediately declaring the suspect to be a Muslim or ANTIFA and saying we needed to shut the borders and be on attack and when it was revealed he was white they couldn't accept it. We are all informed by our political biases. Given that I find the ideology of Donald Trump to be dangerous and have seen it lead to violence I find it believable that it would in this case too. Since you support the ideology of Donald Trump and don't think it relates to violence you don't. If you happen to be right this time all it means is you happen to be right this time.

For the record I think the this is maga country stuff came out after the article I read.

And like I said, take politics out of it. I'm not responsible for what others think. I didn't automatically think the Vegas shooter was a Muslim terrorist. The fact that you group everyone together like that, and use it as some kind of excuse for your own beliefs, is a problem.

Are you an individual, or not?

And like I said, take politics out of it. I'm not responsible for what others think. I didn't automatically think the Vegas shooter was a Muslim terrorist. The fact that you group everyone together like that, and use it as some kind of excuse for your own beliefs, is a problem.

Are you an individual, or not?
I don't need to make any excuse for my beliefs.

I don't need to make any excuse for my beliefs.

But you just did, by pointing to a separate incident that others might have irrationally passed judgement on, to excuse your own about this incident.

A famous actor claims he was violently attacked. Your reaction is what? Wait a week to report it? I am asking seriously.

"Famous" is a relative term. I don't think this guy is "famous" by any reasonable definition. I believe this story made MSM headlines because editors knew it would generate clicks/views/ad revenue. That is evil.

If a famous black male made similar claims, then the story would be newsworthy. The neutral frame is the default choice. Something like:

"Samuel L. Jackson claims MAGA-hat wearing Trump supporters poured bleach on him, put noose around neck, police investigating"

The demonstrative ''this" in my post was referring to the matter at hand, juxtaposing it against Covington.
Ah, got it. I heard about it first on the Jesse Lee Peterson Show. Otherwise, just Breitbart and Sherdog War Room.

But you just did, by pointing to a separate incident that others might have irrationally passed judgement on, to excuse your own about this incident.
No, I didn't. I pointed out that regardless of politically ideology people are informed by their biases. I am not making any excuse.

"Famous" is a relative term. I don't think this guy is "famous" by any reasonable definition. I believe this story made MSM headlines because editors knew it would generate clicks/views/ad revenue. That is evil.

If a famous black male made similar claims, then the story would be newsworthy. The neutral frame is the default choice. Something like:

"Samuel L. Jackson claims MAGA-hat wearing Trump supporters poured bleach on him, put noose around neck, police investigating"

'Empire' actor allegedly attacked in possible hate crime
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett was allegedly attacked in Chicago by two people after they yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him, according to police.
Source: CNN

Isn't this kind of close?

No, I didn't. I pointed out that regardless of politically ideology people are informed by their biases. I am not making any excuse.

The point I'm making, is that you would have to be one to embrace your biases to be "informed" by them.

I am not informed by my biases. I can judge things objectively. Can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back