Elon Musk Agrees to $44b Deal for Twitter

You are an illiterate old man who adds nothing here or societally. Go cash your social security check and play some bingo before I accidentally slip up and tell you what I'd do to myself if I was ever in your position in life.

You don’t even know me, it usually takes someone at least 2 weeks of being with me in person in order to have that opinion..
<JagsKiddingMe>

He is partnered with the saudis, no? They’ll easily be looking into buying any debt at a discount and converting it to equity. They’re richer than Elon. Money to them isn’t real. They just produce more oil. Or slash production to drive the price up, to earn more.

The Saudis rolled over their existing investment in Twitter. They did not put in fresh capital, as far as I know. But yes, they hold equity in Twitter.

Once we are into, "large players with big bankrolls will do things that are not in their economic interests" the potential scenarios increase, I guess. But let's play along. The Saudi's buy the debt for $7B. Then they hold the debt and Musk is no better off. So, as you write, the Saudi's decide to convert that debt into equity. At what valuation? If I was the Saudis I would say that the current valuation for Twitter is about $7B. After all, that is what the senior secured debt is worth and it has first claim on all future cash flows (more or less).

All this is to say that the Saudis could/should own most of Twitter at the end of all this. Musk is heavily diluted. Musk is worse off. Seems like a bad result for him.

Or, I guess, the Saudis could just say that they will convert the debt at a valuation of $100B and the other equity people madly scramble to take that deal. Problem solved!

But what do the Saudi's get out of it? Money is not actually free to them and presumably they they are already following a strategy to maximize the NPV of their existing hydrocarbon reserves. & when they invest abroad, they mostly seem to try to get economic returns for those investments like any other investor.

I guess that they could just really want to be in business with Musk. Musk could offer them 3 things off the top of my head. A special deal with Tesla. Tesla is public and so that would be have to be something like "I will build a gigafactory in Saudi Arabia and make your country the a hub for the manufacture of EVs in the region". Ok - I think that shareholders would oust Musk over something like that but he has done dodgy things in the past and gotten away with it and so YOLO. Or Musk could offer them part a future SpaceX IPO. SpaceX has raised money privately several times and Musk could run into issues with other shareholders if he gives the Saudis a sweetheart deal. The US government might not like it either. If SpaceX IPO's then Musk could get the Saudi's a bunch of the initial shares via the underwriters with the understanding that the shares will pop on the open and the Saudi's recoup their investment. I guess this is possible and Musk would like it because it would not actually cost him anything. All he is doing is giving a supporter the chance to make money on the open market at no cost to himself. There are probably some pesky legal issues around all this but underwriters allocate shares in "hot IPO's" to friends of the firm all the time and so I am sure that there are legal ways to make it happen.

Or I guess that the Saudis could just think "Elon, you may have royally fucked up the Twitter deal (after all, this entire discussion is based on staving off Twitter bankruptcy) but we still think you are a business genius and we just want to be friends with you because when you embark on your next great company, you will put us in on the ground floor". That could actually be a thing!

Last edited:
The Saudis rolled over their existing investment in Twitter. They did not put in fresh capital, as far as I know. But yes, they hold equity in Twitter.

Once we are into, "large players with big bankrolls will do things that are not in their economic interests" the potential scenarios increase, I guess. But let's play along. The Saudi's buy the debt for $7B. Then they hold the debt and Musk is no better off. So, as you write, the Saudi's decide to convert that debt into equity. At what valuation? If I was the Saudis I would say that the current valuation for Twitter is about $7B. After all, that is what the senior secured debt is worth and it has first claim on all future cash flows (more or less).

All this is to say that the Saudis could/should own most of Twitter at the end of all this. Musk is heavily diluted. Musk us worse off. Seems like a bad result for him.

Or, I guess, the Saudis could just say that they will convert the debt at a valuation of $100B and the other equity people madly scramble to take that deal. Problem solved!

But what do the Saudi's get out of it? Money is not actually free to them and presumably they they are already following a strategy to maximize the NPV of their existing hydrocarbon reserves. & when they invest abroad, they mostly seem to try to get economic returns for those investments like any other investor.

I guess that they could just really want to be in business with Musk. Musk could offer them 3 things off the top of my head. A special deal with Tesla. Tesla is public and so that would be have to be something like "I will build a gigafactory in Saudi Arabia and make your country the a hub for the manufacture of EVs in the region". Ok - I think that shareholders would oust Musk over something like that but he has done dodgy things in the past and gotten away with it and so YOLO. Or Musk could offer them part a future SpaceX IPO. SpaceX has raised money privately several times and Musk could run into issues with other shareholders if he gives the Saudis a sweetheart deal. The US government might not like it either. If SpaceX IPO's then Musk could get the Saudi's a bunch of the initial shares via the underwriters with the understanding that the shares will pop on the open and the Saudi's recoup their investment. I guess this is possible and Musk would like it because it would not actually cost him anything. All he is doing is giving a supporter the chance to make money on the open market at no cost to himself. There are probably some pesky legal issues around all this but underwriters allocate shares in "hot IPO's" to friends of the firm all the time and so I am sure that there are legal ways to make it happen.

Or I guess that the Saudis could just think "Elon, you may have royally fucked up the Twitter deal (after all, this entire discussion is based on staving off Twitter bankruptcy) but we still think you are a business genius and we just want to be friends with you because when you embark on your next great company, you will put us in on the ground floor". That could actually be a thing!
I think they could just force a conversion and dilution of musk. Not necessary at a point of default but to assist in the recovery and to clear up the balance sheet. In a sense de-lever the business either in conjunction with Elon at some sort of a split or simply in their own interest. They’ll take it public again at somepoint. They do look to make more money on their investments obviously but look at how much they blow on LIV. They’re overpaying just to get market share and get involved in the business. They’re going to lose money for a long time on that venture.

Cool fan fiction

It is especially funny because Twitter has (or had) about 1% of the digital ad market. They are a rounding error for their advertisers. Everybody is afraid of Tik Tok. Twitter is an afterthought.

The good news for Musk is that if he could capture even 2 or 3% market share then he is really off to the races with Twitter. For reals. It is not like he has to get Twitter to 10% market share to make this a great deal for himself.

I think they could just force a conversion and dilution of musk. Not necessary at a point of default but to assist in the recovery and to clear up the balance sheet. In a sense de-lever the business either in conjunction with Elon at some sort of a split or simply in their own interest. They’ll take it public again at somepoint. They do look to make more money on their investments obviously but look at how much they blow on LIV. They’re overpaying just to get market share and get involved in the business. They’re going to lose money for a long time on that venture.

I mean, I guess if they want to own Twitter that would be the way to do it. I think that the US government would put the boots to that pretty quickly but maybe I am wrong! They have not even forced Tik Tok to divest their international assets yet. Stranger things have happened but I would put the Saudi's controlling Twitter in the "strange things" category

I mean, I guess if they want to own Twitter that would be the way to do it. I think that the US government would put the boots to that pretty quickly but maybe I am wrong! They have not even forced Tik Tok to divest their international assets yet. Stranger things have happened but I would put the Saudi's controlling Twitter in the "strange things" category
{<redford}We shall see. No one thought Elon would actually buy Twitter so strange times indeed.

All this is to say that the Saudis could/should own most of Twitter at the end of all this. Musk is heavily diluted. Musk us worse off. Seems like a bad result for him.

https://www.space.com/axiom-space-nasa-international-space-station-saudi-astronauts
SpaceX will fly 2 Saudi astronauts to space station on private Axiom Space mission

Not to mention stuff like:
-Being a Twitter stakeholder could allow them backdoor access to stalk or manage dissidents in their country now that it's privately run by a strongman; not a translucent co with public board.
-Promote stories that benefit their interests

It is especially funny because Twitter has (or had) about 1% of the digital ad market. They are a rounding error for their advertisers. Everybody is afraid of Tik Tok. Twitter is an afterthought.

The good news for Musk is that if he could capture even 2 or 3% market share then he is really off to the races with Twitter. For reals. It is not like he has to get Twitter to 10% market share to make this a great deal for himself.
Well at 1% of the ad market it was worth maybe half of what he paid, before interest costs, so....

Elon just banned Ye.
I have a bunch of score cards ready for the mental gymnastics of Elon bought Twitter to bring back Free Speech.
There are a couple posters I have scorecards with 10 written on them ready to go.

Elon just banned Ye.
I have a bunch of score cards ready for the mental gymnastics of Elon bought Twitter to bring back Free Speech.
There are a couple posters I have scorecards with 10 written on them ready to go.
It’s hard to feel sorry for Ye at this point.

turns out it was only a 12 hour suspension lol that oughtta teach him!

nonetheless with any luck the two of them will start feuding it out. they can start things off in a No Words Barred match at the royal rumble, and build their rivalry all the way into wrestlemania.

Last edited:
It’s been pretty funny to see what’s left of Twitter’s advertisements after the mass exodus of companies not wanting to be associated with the growing cesspool.. It’s basically crypto bros, religious zealots, and right wing nut jobs.

Perfectly sums things up.

Is it though? I don't get n twitter often, but I haven't noticed any hate speech popping up.

I also heard on the news that they banned Ye for posting a swastika.

What is going on with that clown?

Is it a cry for help or something?

Why doesn't he focus on being a good father, I know anybody can have a mental health crisis, but he has a purpose that he can devote himself to - being a solid parent.

Back