Elite Fighters that got broken in the cage

What are the best examples of elite fighters "getting broken" that you can recall. I would guess the definition of broken is being able to continue but just not wanting to do so. Is that a good way to put it?

I will start

Jones made Shogun tap to strikes when most of sherdog thought he was going to be to experienced for the young Jones. This one is kind of iffy because the ref was waving it off but he did tap.

Recently Tony broke Pettis. The look on his face when he was starting to gas covered in his own blood after droping tony earlier was primal. He did nearly everything he could to get out of that fight..

BJ "to the death " Penn quit on the stool vs GSP in the rematch.

also, shit happens in fights. Fighters fighting bad asses can get broken. i dont think it makes them any less bad ass.

Who ya got?
TJ dillashaw Broke P4p #1 fighter Renan Barao at the peak of his prime

Nunes broke Rachel Pennington to the point where she wanted out of the fight so bad.

Holloway broke Ortega,

Both Brian and Holloway broke Cub Swanson. I saw terror on Swanson’s face as both guys went in for the strangle hold.

But there's zero difference between that scenario and Shogun-Jones. Are you saying Shogun wasn't injured when the fight was stopped against Jones? What makes one an injury and not the other? Also both of their records are officially TKO's yet both clearly wanted it stopped. You can't pick and choose.
im not picking and choosing..im sure you watched both fights closely and and can recall....after the first clinch rampage looked over and said "im hurt " "or my rib is broke" to his corner (from a nice knee) and then tried to keep fighting. He literally couldn't fight or breath and never tapped. Are you saying page wanted the corner to throw in the towel and they didnt so he just withed? i can see that argument.

if you are saying shogun was tapping because he was injured then I would feel different. I thought he was just beat down and had enough. If i recall, shogun has said he was done from the flying knee then basically got battered until he was broken.

It was just the tapping man. He literally tapped. that is the sign of "having enough" . You dont think that sets these 2 apart?

What are the best examples of elite fighters "getting broken" that you can recall. I would guess the definition of broken is being able to continue but just not wanting to do so. Is that a good way to put it?

I will start

Jones made Shogun tap to strikes when most of sherdog thought he was going to be to experienced for the young Jones. This one is kind of iffy because the ref was waving it off but he did tap.

Recently Tony broke Pettis. The look on his face when he was starting to gas covered in his own blood after droping tony earlier was primal. He did nearly everything he could to get out of that fight..

also, shit happens in fights. Fighters fighting bad asses can get broken. i dont think it makes them any less bad ass.

Who ya got?

GSP crushed BJ Penn
Dillashaw crushed Barao
RDA crushed Anthony Pettis (Pettis was truly broken by this fight and hasn't been the same since)
Holloway crushed Ortega
GSP crushed Koschek
Khabib crushed Johnson and Barboza
Cain crushed JDS twice

I think Rampage broke Chuck at UFC 71. Chuck was so sure he was gonna avenge his loss in Pride & when he got knocked out again he never looked the same in the cage.

GSP crushed BJ Penn
Dillashaw crushed Barao
RDA crushed Anthony Pettis (Pettis was truly broken by this fight and hasn't been the same since)
Holloway crushed Ortega
GSP crushed Koschek
Khabib crushed Johnson and Barboza
Cain crushed JDS twice
Barao JDS and pettis are the only guys i would say are elite. good examples though.

I'm a Gus fan, but Rumble and Jones (second fight) both broke him with strikes. He just turtled up and waited for the ref to call it off.

TJ dillashaw Broke P4p #1 fighter Renan Barao at the peak of his prime

Nunes broke Rachel Pennington to the point where she wanted out of the fight so bad.

Holloway broke Ortega,

Both Brian and Holloway broke Cub Swanson. I saw terror on Swanson’s face as both guys went in for the strangle hold.
you arent calling pennington ortega and cub elite though right?

Paula Thiago vs Dong Hyun Kim

Watch that and look how destroyed Paulo looks

ah man i dunno about that. Aldo went out on his shield. thats not getting broken thats getting beat.
Aldo after taking tremendous punishment was giving the thumbs up to the ref before both stoppages vs max, wanting to keep fighting. He's a savage.

im not picking and choosing..im sure you watched both fights closely and and can recall....after the first clinch rampage looked over and said "im hurt " "or my rib is broke" to his corner (from a nice knee) and then tried to keep fighting. He literally couldn't fight or breath and never tapped. Are you saying page wanted the corner to throw in the towel and they didnt so he just withed? i can see that argument.

if you are saying shogun was tapping because he was injured then I would feel different. I thought he was just beat down and had enough. If i recall, shogun has said he was done from the flying knee then basically got battered until he was broken.

It was just the tapping man. He literally tapped. that is the sign of "having enough" . You dont think that sets these 2 apart?

Putting your body outside of the ropes is equivalent to tapping. There's no difference. Saying Shogun tapped yet ignoring Rampage sticking his head outside of the ropes to have the fight stopped makes no sense.

The question comes down to what injury makes it "allowable" for a fighter to not want to continue. I don't think there's a fine line. Personally all I can say is both guys took serious beatings, would have had serious difficulty continuing, and wanted the fight stopped. Both fit the premise of the thread imho. We can agree to disagree though, I'm sure people might see it differently.

Putting your body outside of the ropes is equivalent to tapping. There's no difference. Saying Shogun tapped yet ignoring Rampage sticking his head outside of the ropes to have the fight stopped makes no sense.

The question comes down to what injury makes it "allowable" for a fighter to not want to continue. I don't think there's a fine line. Personally all I can say is both guys took serious beatings, would have had serious difficulty continuing, and wanted the fight stopped. Both fit the premise of the thread imho. We can agree to disagree though, I'm sure people might see it differently.
yeah i guess you are right. Page did do all the signs of giving up. He turned his focus away to talk to his corner and put his body outside the ring. I didnt think of it as a tap without tapping. He pulled a pettis in a way.

cain vs jds 2 and 3.
I disagree. He was whooped for sure, but he fought till the end or until he was finished because he had nothing left. I seen the rubber match live. Man that was brutal. imo broken means they came to the point were they just wait for a opportunity to get out of the fight. JDS never did that

I will start

Who ya got?
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

Dos Santos took fearsome thrashings but I didn't see him break.
A broken fighter doesn’t have to quit. I think some beatings can render a fighter unable to do anything (thus breaking imo). He was a standing punching bag in the first second fight and third the way that it ended he seemed a broken man when he fell forward on his head trying to find some choke (if you wanna say Cain made him do that, I dunno).

Dos Santos took fearsome thrashings but I didn't see him break.
exactly. The total opposite really. To take all those shots in the 2nd fight shows heart of a warrior. 3rd fight he was literally Almost dead by the 5th round lol tru warrior

Back