Elite Fighters that got broken in the cage

Tito vs Randy Couture

spanked and cried in his prime, by an old man, doesnt get much worse then that

giphy.gif
Would have been crazy if somehow the ref interpreted that as Randy tapping.

Ronda v Holm
Cormier v Jones
Rumble v Cormier

Rose vs Joanna 1
Anthony Pettis vs Dustin Poirier and Tony Ferg
David Branch vs Luke Cuckhold

Not an elite fighter but Rickels straight up quit against Page

The funniest part is Dana White was ranting on about tapping to strikes, then the next few events during Joanna horrible weight cut vs Rose, Dana literally stfu about it.

nah. this is an injury. Dont do page like that hes never quit. He even told the corner he got his rib broken. thats a clean loss.

You guys gotta get this right lol. getting Tkod is not quitting.

Well then you have to be clear what you're asking for instead of "being able to continue but just not wanting to do so". He could have kept going but I agree it would have been brutal. He essentially asked for it to be stopped by heading out of the ropes.

Rich and David "The Crow" Loiseau come to mind. David was a feared striker coming up. Rich took his soul in a fight and never was the same. Career went straight down the tubes after. Shame too because David was fun to watch.

Screen_Shot_2018_08_17_at_3.03.12_PM.png

latest
Loiseau was one my favorite fighters. I loved the elbows he threw when that technique was not being used that much at the time and yeah he fell off after Franklin.

Shogun with healthy knees and steroids beats roided Jon Jones every day of the week

I feel like delusional Shogun love like this should never get hate. I mean, it's utterly ridiculous and no version of Shogun ever beats Jones, but it doesn't even matter. For some reason I just feel like no matter how delusional it may be, Shogun nuthugging should just sort of get a pass.

I can't even explain why. I'm not the biggest Shogun fan or anything. Maybe it's because I know most of his diehard fans are old school like me so I feel a kinship with them.

When TJ fights Loma and realizes he is not at Lomas level, then he will quit MMA and go to WWE.

What are the best examples of elite fighters "getting broken" that you can recall. I would guess the definition of broken is being able to continue but just not wanting to do so. Is that a good way to put it?

I will start

Jones made Shogun tap to strikes when most of sherdog thought he was going to be to experienced for the young Jones. This one is kind of iffy because the ref was waving it off but he did tap.

Recently Tony broke Pettis. The look on his face when he was starting to gas covered in his own blood after droping tony earlier was primal. He did nearly everything he could to get out of that fight..

BJ "to the death " Penn quit on the stool vs GSP in the rematch.

also, shit happens in fights. Fighters fighting bad asses can get broken. i dont think it makes them any less bad ass.

Who ya got?
Jones Shogun is a bad example, the fight had already been stopped before he tapped and should have been stopped when he turtled up seconds before that. If Jones didn't land that nasty knee to the ribs that made him get back up it would have ended there and in reality the ref should have stopped it there anyway, a guy like Shogun doesn't just turtle up like that if he has anything left.

EDIT: Not to say he didn't get broken cause he did, just the tapping thing was irrelevant.

I think Robbie really broke Rory in that second fight. Such a war, but when he exploded his face at the end, Rory is as broken as I've seen almost anyone in a fight. It carried over too, he was so tentative vs Wonderboy, he wanted nothing to do with any exchanges. I think he knew he couldn't handle another war, or anything close.

Jones Shogun is a bad example, the fight had already been stopped before he tapped and should have been stopped when he turtled up seconds before that. If Jones didn't land that nasty knee to the ribs that made him get back up it would have ended there and in reality the ref should have stopped it there anyway, a guy like Shogun doesn't just turtle up like that if he has anything left.
you are correct sort of... it was more of a bad stoppage but he DID tap. Which means he had something left right? over all i agree its a bad example compared to the others on this list. Shogun is a warrior.

you are correct sort of... it was more of a bad stoppage but he DID tap. Which means he had something left right? over all i agree its a bad example compared to the others on this list. Shogun is a warrior.
Definitely wasn't a bad stoppage. Shogun clearly wanted out in the sequence before that but that knee made him get out of there to avoid another one. I just find it ridiculous people try to make him look bad with the "Der, he tapped to strikes" shit when he tapped after the fight was stopped and if not for the camera being at the perfect angle nobody would have ever even known about it.

The guy took a beating over 3 rounds few others would have had the heart to endure and there was no shame in that tap despite it being irrelevant.

Shogun Rampage is a good one though, Page got broken and destroyed in that fight. Chuck Rampage 1 is also a good example.

Back