Elio - 84 MPG - Only $7,450 - Coming 2019....hopefully

Looks like you can get manual or auto.

But ... actually watching / listening to that test drive video in the OP, and dude mentioned there is no rear window ... lol I'm out. Not going to rely fully on rearview mirrors to see behind me.

As a motorcycle rider, I'm used to it. Shouldn't be an issue on a vehicle so narrow. Would have to test drive it to see if that or blindspots would be a problem, though.

Everyone will hate the way it looks because it looks different from other cars. Any change in appearance is always regarded as negative. I think it actually looks pretty neat, kinda like a sailboat.

As a motorcycle rider, I'm used to it. Shouldn't be an issue on a vehicle so narrow. Would have to test drive it to see if that or blindspots would be a problem, though.

Yeah, I've never driven a motorcycle. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad ... but at least on a motorcycle you can turn your head/body to look behind you. In this thing it's just the side mirrors or poking your head out the window to look back.

There aren't really any every-day driving situations I can think of where it's necessary to be able to see fully behind you without using the side mirrors, but I can imagine feeling very paranoid in that situation

Yeah, I've never driven a motorcycle. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad ... but at least on a motorcycle you can turn your head/body to look behind you. In this thing it's just the side mirrors or poking your head out the window to look back.

There aren't really any every-day driving situations I can think of where it's necessary to be able to see fully behind you without using the side mirrors, but I can imagine feeling very paranoid in that situation

Yeah, that's the big thing keeping me from preordering one, specially with a vehicle so low to the ground. My guess is by production time they will have a rear camera with either a built in touchscreen/GPS or one that plugs into a tablet.

But I really want this company to succeed. They're tapping into a section of the market that has been ignored.

Yeah, that's the big thing keeping me from preordering one, specially with a vehicle so low to the ground. My guess is by production time they will have a rear camera with either a built in touchscreen/GPS or one that plugs into a tablet.

But I really want this company to succeed. They're tapping into a section of the market that has been ignored.

On their website they do list a rear camera as one of the options you can get. I'm still realllly not sure about that, tho - if that'd be enough.

Hrm, looks like even at the retail centers they're planning you order your vehicle instead of buying one that's already right there. I guess that's better than just ordering directly online - at least you can test drive the vehicles. Man for me it really depends on the area if I'd even want to test drive one tho - would definitely want it to be in a very low-traffic area to drive one of these for the first time. Preferably a large empty parking lot lol

Conceptually I like it. However the A pillars are very obstructing.

Or people who don't have a lot of money, don't give a shit what their vehicle looks like, and need something dependable and fuel efficient...? Possibly? :icon_lol:

We'll see about dependable.

Putting the car on 3 wheels eliminates the cost and weight of that wheel/brake assembly.

The car looks the way it does for smart reasons.

I think down the line it could be a really good car but you might want to wait 2-3 years for all of the kinks to be worked out.

If the geo engine isn't the engine that's going into production that doesn't change anything. It's probably still going to be an unreliable pos. And because its and upstart company, I wouldn't want to chance it breaking down.

The people who built and engineered the engine are the same people who built and engineered the Bugatti Veyron engine. I've heard no complaints from that monster. Everyone talks about how great the engine is.

But yeah, the current engine seen in all the vids is just some cheap shit filler engine and transmission, basically just to show how the body of the vehicle works. By all accounts, the vehicle itself runs great.

Can't wait until they finaly get the production engine and transmission in.

Query: Is the manual transmission stick shift or paddles?

Traditional manual stick shift. Paddels would increase the price quite a lot.

This would be great as a second car to commute to work/school in.

Nothing more, though.

That's exactly it's purpose. ;)

How easy/difficult will it be to get this thing serviced, tho

Super easy. The Elio company has already signed a contract with Pep Boys as the official service station across the country.

The vehicle also comes with a traditional 3 year/36,000 Mile warranty.

Last edited:
lol i'm sorry if that the future, ill just keep my classic car until the day i die. Thing is looks like a piece

Isn't that the car Homer invented in the Simpsons? The car of the future looks like arse.

Everyone will hate the way it looks because it looks different from other cars. Any change in appearance is always regarded as negative. I think it actually looks pretty neat, kinda like a sailboat.

True. I didn't like it at first, but now I've completely warmed up to it.

Conceptually I like it. However the A pillars are very obstructing.

They said the production model will slim the A-pillars to make it less obstructing.

On their website they do list a rear camera as one of the options you can get. I'm still realllly not sure about that, tho - if that'd be enough.

Everyone who has gotten to test drive the prototype has said that even without a camera, because of the huge windows and its size, backing up is no problem. A rear camera will probably be unnecessary, but a nice extra for those who have it.

lol i'm sorry if that the future, ill just keep my classic car until the day i die. Thing is looks like a piece

Lol, yeah, it's gonna be a little awkward driving around town and seeing people staring, pointing, and probably some laughing. But I don't care. I'll laugh right back, knowing I'm getting 2, 3, 4x (maybe more) gas mileage than them. Also, I plan on adding tint to make it harder to see into the cabin.

Honestly, I don't think it will be an issue. I don't need a rear window to look over my shoulder and check my blind spots. All the people who have driven the prototype have said backing up is not a problem whatsoever (because of how narrow it is). A backup camera will make things that much better.

Note: Another option will be a "Blind Spot Warning System". I'll probably get that.

That looks cool
Wonder how it would do in a Canadian winter :)
Not enough space for me as I do a lot of camping

Car looks retarded. My opinion. You don't like it, too bad.

Won't buy.

Back