"Elbows should be banned" = Silly argument

I think the ground fighting would be more exciting if elbows were banned. The person on the bottom could try for more submissions.

footprints to a fighters face can really hinder him, should we ban Footstomps? Yep, they were banned, and they were awesome as hell, but they got banned. Would not be surprised if in the future Elbows are banned

I think the ground fighting would be more exciting if elbows were banned. The person on the bottom could try for more submissions.

That didn't help Strikeforce get a larger amount of submissions from the bottom.

Well seeing as old dead topics seem to be getting brought up I might as well instigate this one: Jones is too large for LHW, he should move up to HW...Bisping was robbed, he beat chael, Rory won the first 2 rounds, bs stoppage blah blah blah

kick to the balls. just a consequence of the attack

should of knew this would be a whitey

kick to the balls. just a consequence of the attack

should of knew this would be a whitey

thats-racist.gif

Oh wait you were talking about the belt.

Elbows are part of a real fight, therefore they should be allowed. In a tournament setting like TUF or Bellator, I don't mind if grounded elbows are banned. They cut more than punches to a grounded fighter.

If cuts as a consequence is ok. Why put vaseline on fighters faces?

Why not make fighters wear elbow pads?

Of course its a silly argument, because nobody is arguing it.

In my opinion, the main argument for banning elbows is that it could be construed as a 'cheap' way to win a fight, especially for a wrestler who has top control over his opponent is not landing anything really substantial except for short-swinging, no-power elbows that have a slicing motion and create a cut over the eye of the opponent in which the doctor ends the fight due to blood getting in the eyes.

I think the argument against them isn't from the damage caused, but rather the low submission risk since you aren't extending your strike as far as a punch.

The removal of elbows leads to a riskier ground game; a higher risk leading to a more exciting fight.

I feel removing the weapon favors the submissions too much, but I agree it is more exciting when the submission attacks are more frequent.

Fighting is dangerous and long term damage is present always, knowing this one should avoid combat at all costs, we train to fight if life presents no other option but to fight.

Fighters know the risks before they fight, if they choose to fight they must be prepared to suffer minor or major.

No knees to the head of downed opponent with 1 hand or knee on the ground is foolish enough in terms of so called ultimate fighting, banning elbows would indicate even more so, this is not fighting in it's real wordly form.

Yea, all attacks that can finish a fight should be banned.

Every fight should be won on TD's and cagehugging.
Because it just sucks so bad when a fighter has carefully won 2-4 rounds using TD's, touch'n'go, and hugging, and they suddenly get finished.

The smartest fans on Sherdog don't care about finishes. An early finish doesn't show any kind of real dominance, and a later finish when down on points is simply a 'hail Mary'.

In my opinion, the main argument for banning elbows is that it could be construed as a 'cheap' way to win a fight, especially for a wrestler who has top control over his opponent is not landing anything really substantial except for short-swinging, no-power elbows that have a slicing motion and create a cut over the eye of the opponent in which the doctor ends the fight due to blood getting in the eyes.

Well then dont hit the floor, once a fighter hits the floor scramble or tap. Maybe this will help fighters work on their TDD, there is no shame in tapping if a fighter fears getting cut by an elbow.

Last edited:
Shut up.

Fighters prefer elbows banned on the ground because they cut easily and sometimes the fighter that is losing gets to squeak out a win because of an elbow graze on the ground. The issue is that most of the strategy behind elbows on the ground is to cut, rather than to cause damage.

Fighters would rather have kicks to grounded opponents because it forces more action and allows better punishment of stuffed takedowns. It also helps wrestlers who can get side control.

When has that ever happened, because I dont remember that happening. If a fighter fears the ground and elbows dont hit the ground or tap. They should allow everything in MMA outside of stomps on the head and be done with it.

If MMA fighters cant find ways around elbows on the ground they arent training hard enough.

Back