"Elbows should be banned" = Silly argument

Well then dont hit the floor, once a fighter hits the floor scramble or tap. Maybe this will help fighters work on their TDD, there is no shame in tapping if a fighter fears of getting cut by an elbow.

lol what?

When has that ever happened, because I dont remember that happening. If a fighter fears the ground and elbows dont hit the ground or tap. They should allow everything in MMA outside of stomps on the head and be done with it.

If MMA fighters cant find ways around elbows on the ground they arent training hard enough.

Do you bother listening to what the fighters themselves say? They don't mind stomps or kicks to the head, but they highly dislike elbows on the ground.. Not because of damage but because of cuts, especially by the corner of the eyes, which can lead to serious eye issues. Leaving that aside, it's just unnecessary cuts that create scars. All of this is done by short elbows that have little power and are aimed to graze, not hit directly.

I know SOME fighters, can generate good power with elbows on the ground and actively seek to KO the other but most ground elbows are meant to cut and nothing more.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say elbows should be banned. Where are you getting this from TS
They pop up from time to time. The most recent one I can remember is after Cain beat Bigfoot. Something about it being unfair that Bigfoot was bleeding...

Yes sir, but even more specifically....that it'd been a dead topic for a long long while now. I haven't seen anybody make that argument(that elbows should be banned) in ages.

Only because Jon Jones hasn't fought a LHW legend in a while.

A few rabid Jones haters were calling for it after he wrecked Rua and Machida. Especially after the Machida fight.

Do you bother listening to what the fighters themselves say? They don't mind stomps or kicks to the head, but they highly dislike elbows on the ground.. Not because of damage but because of cuts, especially by the corner of the eyes, which can lead to serious eye issues. Leaving that aside, it's just unnecessary cuts that create scars. All of this is done by short elbows that have little power and are aimed to graze, not hit directly.

I know SOME fighters, can generate good power with elbows on the ground and actively seek to KO the other but most ground elbows are meant to cut and nothing more.

Only fighters that don't have good elbows say that.

I don't think they should be banned but if I had to choose between knees and soccer kicks to the head of a grounded opponent and elbows to the head of grounded opponent I would choose knees and soccer kicks.

One thing I hate is when fighters just try to open cuts by rubbing their elbow to opponent's brows.

I always say that is easier to "regulate" the free market.

The more rules, the more imbalances towards some kinds of techniques.

They should allow stomps, soccer kicks, elbows, knees to a downed fighter, etc, etc.

thats-racist.gif

Oh wait you were talking about the belt.

Lol

Only fighters that don't have good elbows say that.

It's probably more the ones who can't defend them.

Honestly, there's this overwhelming percentage who have been vocal about disliking elbows on the ground as StickyIcky claimed.

I also have to wonder, why are stomps and kicks always lumped in with elbows as if they have anything to do with each other ?

What's next? Endless threads about banning knee strikes after a Jon Jones fight?

If anything we need MORE elbows. 12-6 and to the back of the head. We need knees/kicks/stomps to the head of a grounded opponent!

Fuck yeah.

If anything we need MORE elbows. 12-6 and to the back of the head. We need knees/kicks/stomps to the head of a grounded opponent!

Fuck yeah.

Spine and groin strikes too? Piledrivers as well?

ESPECIALLY spine and groin strikes. Eye gouging as well. Get rid of the gloves too. Nowww we're talking.

You'll want to resurrect that show from Brazil that put a man up against a girl. Can't remember the fucking name though. Rio Heros or something I think.

the thing about those elbow cuts is that they can end a fight quickly, without causing big damages.. its not like the fighter got knocked out or tapped because his arm was broken, he simply couldnt continue because he started bleeding so much

and this is not good for tv either, a guy pissing blood all over the place

Just imagine how many fights Jon Fitch and Jake Shields could finish if they could throw elbows on the ground since those who hate elbows on the ground say "it's so easy to cut someone with an elbow on the ground." With their top control they'd be able to end fights left and right with no problem with cuts caused by elbow strikes. Oh wait . . .

By the way, look at what Melendez was able to do with elbows on the ground added to his arsenal . . .

ik70MU.gif

. . . that fight wasn't ended by a cut.

Back