Edmen Shabazyan's weakness is...

Damn that's unlucky. Still not sure if Maia actually looked great or it was more that JoJo was massively overestimated as people were desperate for someone to provide Valentina even a modicum of a challenge. Don't think Maia has much for Valentina either tbf, if you lose to Carmouche and Chookagian whilst having regular issues making weight it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence imo.
Yeah, it was awful. I did my research on JoJo as well, I had it well analysed. I did my research on Maia as well, and look what happened.

Jojo's striking was looking horrible this fight, she looked drugged or something. Maia looked really good tbh, she has improved a ton in the last year.
Jojo honestly surprised me, she looked way, way worse than her fight against Calderwood last year. If that jojo fought Maia, I would have easily won my money. Credit to Maia though, she looked really good.

Still gonna get baptised by Val tho.

Not having solid cardio at UFC level is embarrassing.

Not everybody can be Tony Ferguson. But at least have good enough cardio to fight all rounds

Yeah, it was awful. I did my research on JoJo as well, I had it well analysed. I did my research on Maia as well, and look what happened.

Jojo's striking was looking horrible this fight, she looked drugged or something. Maia looked really good tbh, she has improved a ton in the last year.
Jojo honestly surprised me, she looked way, way worse than her fight against Calderwood last year. If that jojo fought Maia, I would have easily won my money. Credit to Maia though, she looked really good.

Still gonna get baptised by Val tho.
Hopefully baptized, I have the feeling if Maia shows some promise in that fight early Valentina will go into a win via boring safe mode like she did against Carmouche. Damn that was a tough 25 minutes to get through.

Edmen's weakness is

• NOT Stand-up striking - technically, Edmen was decent. He was getting the better of the exchanges in round 1 against Brunson.
  • NOT In the clinch, he did ok.
  • Takedown defense was a bit below average (Brunson's takedown attempts weren't very strong, but Edmen couldn't defend them). But this wasn't a glaring weakness that cost him the fight.

What is wrong with this picture?​
Untitled-1-copy.jpg

Edmen has the same fundamental (nontechnical) weakness that Rousey and many martial artists in the Judo discipline have. Do you know what it is? :cool:

Edit: everyone who said cardio is correct!

Some examples of top Judo fighters with average to below average cardio:

1. Dong Hyun Kim (aka "DHK")
2. Hector Lombard
3. Karo Parisyan

4. Ronda Rousey
5. Satoshi Ishii (Judo gold medalist; fights in Bellator, PFL, Rizin)
6. Sokoudjou
7. Yoshihiro Akiyama (aka "Sexyama")​

Question: Do you agree that one of the fundamental weaknesses of Judo fighters is cardio?

If so, why do Judo fighters often have problems with cardio, while many wrestlers do not?

Looked like a lack of heart to me....

Cardio too maybe..but i saw some heart issues too

Hopefully baptized, I have the feeling if Maia shows some promise in that fight early Valentina will go into a win via boring safe mode like she did against Carmouche. Damn that was a tough 25 minutes to get through.
Lmao, with Val its a 50/50. Either we get a KO worthy of Ares himself, or we get dominant Ish Ish for 25.

Looked like a lack of heart to me....

Cardio too maybe..but i saw some heart issues too

Lack of heart could also be the case, too, considering another prominent fighter from his training camp is Rousey, and she also wilted when the going gets tough. Perhaps their sparring sessions aren't intense enough so that he gets used to being under pressure.

I honestly cannot tell for sure.

I guess we'll see in his next fight if his weakness is more than just bad cardio.

Lack of heart could also be the case, too, considering another prominent fighter from his training camp is Rousey, and she also wilted when the going gets tough. Perhaps their sparring sessions aren't intense enough so that he gets used to being under pressure.

I honestly cannot tell for sure.

I guess we'll see in his next fight if his weakness is more than just bad cardio.

I didnt like his reactions at all to getting hit in the second its like he thought this will be over in the first and when it wasnt he fell apart when brunson started opening up more...thats a heart issue..

A fight sways back and forth...and the longer you can keep the momentum on your side or keep things in your wheelhouse the better the chances u have of winning...but it takes heart to turn things around when things go bad...tired or not...heart changes momentums in fights...not cardio..he couldn't do that

When brunson got mount...he all but quit trying for a guy with judo training he had no response for being mounted?...naw...he quit he just got lucky the bell saved him..then he came back out and quit under his own terms lol

Everyone who said cardio is correct!

Some examples of top Judo fighters with average to below average cardio:

1. Hector Lombard
2. Karo Parisyan
3. Ronda Rousey
4. Yoshihiro Akiyama (aka "Sexyama")​

Question: Do you agree that one of the fundamental weaknesses of Judo fighters is cardio?

If so, why do Judo fighters often have problems with cardio, while many wrestlers do not?

Because Judo is a pure power sport with limited ground work

I didnt like his reactions at all to getting hit in the second its like he thought this will be over in the first and when it wasnt he fell apart when brunson started opening up more...thats a heart issue..

A fight sways back and forth...and the longer you can keep the momentum on your side or keep things in your wheelhouse the better the chances u have of winning...but it takes heart to turn things around when things go bad...tired or not...heart changes momentums in fights...not cardio..he couldn't do that

When brunson got mount...he all but quit trying for a guy with judo training he had no response for being mounted?...naw...he quit he just got lucky the bell saved him..then he came back out and quit under his own terms lol

Great points about heart, and I totally agree.

As for the Judo part, as far as I'm aware of, modern Judo lack the extensive ground fighting from the back, because modern Judo competition is all about standing throws instead of focusing on ground fighting like in BJJ. Therefore, I actually wasn't surprised that Edmen was like a fish out of water when he was taken down, and then later mounted.

Back