Edmen Shabazyan's weakness is...

He is not a grinder. Iaquinta is a grinder. Cerrone is not for example.vjust a striker. When going gets tough Edmond and Cerrone fold while fighters like iaquinta, Felder and others still grind to death.

Maybe not what you're asking here, but I think him, like a lot of young fighters, don't pick their shots that well and rather throw once in range....you don't have to throw every time, look at Anderson and Izzy. Then when you throw that hard you will gas.

Offensively he's good, but defensively he got backed against the cage in a straight line without that head mooment. Just took shots, similar to Browne and Ronda. His guard was also quite easy to pass.

he sort of rolled and hung in late in the fight which worked against Stewart but not against Brunson

Honestly he gave up late in the 2nd tonight
Pushing through in the Stewart fight was very impressive imo, showed he has heart.
He looked like he was completely done and pulled through.
I was incredibly surprised that Stewart wasn't able to finish that fight.
I agree though, tonight Shabazyan again looked like he had nothing left after rd. 2.

He is not a grinder. Iaquinta is a grinder. Cerrone is not for example.vjust a striker. When going gets tough Edmond and Cerrone fold while fighters like iaquinta, Felder and others still grind to death.
Dont compare this guy with Cerrone. Since you've probably never seen any of cerrones old fights, you should go back and watch all of his wec fights up thru 2016. Cerrones problem is that he has prefight anxiety in the big fights that tend to paralyze him. The bigger the fight, the faster he is finished.
Ignorant comparison.

The guy folded. It's that simple. He got eye poked, then realized he'd have to fight with some vision impediment, and you could see it in his face: that was the beginning of the end for him, that broke him mentally.

His cardio looked terrible last night. I haven't seen someone gas out this bad, he is incapacitated since Carwin lost to Lesnar.

He did not even attempt to defend the takedowns, Brunson took him down effortlessly, with Edmen giving up his back almost like he wanted Brunson to land a couple strikes so the fight would be stopped. The poor guy didn't want to go back in there for a third round, and understandably so.

He's only 22, and he just fought a guy who fought the best in the division and even has a solid ko win over the former 205 champ. Edmen will be back, but he needs to leave that camp where the coach and fighters suck each other off verbally and believe they're invincible the moment they rack up a win streak. The way Edmen was broke mentally when facing adversity reminisced a lot of Ronda Rousey.

The UFC hype machine is a double edged sword. This guy was supposed to win yesterday, he was hyped up, undefeated, and headlined the damn card. Curious to see how the UFC handles its marketing of this guy going forward.

Last edited:
Dont compare this guy with Cerrone. Since you've probably never seen any of cerrones old fights, you should go back and watch all of his wec fights up thru 2016. Cerrones problem is that he has prefight anxiety in the big fights that tend to paralyze him. The bigger the fight, the faster he is finished.
Ignorant comparison.
Cerrone uses that as an excuse.

He didn’t look very confident walking out to be honest. One thing I didn’t like was after Brunson got the first take down, Edmen started just throwing really heavy shots when he got back up, like he was trying to ‘get one back’. Obviously he doesn’t have a very good gas tank

Mental warfare and cardio

See, that was a lot easier than writing teasing paragraphs like the TS did. lol
He hit Brunson with some good shots and one wicked knee that I was surprised Bruson took so easily. I think Edmen saw that and got disheartened and quit. But he ran out of gas fast.

A lacking ability to fight off his back is what I would pick (and that was indeed very noticeable in this fight). That is something that Judo players are usually quite bad at, because fights get stood up quickly.

His corner. Yelling a million different things at once. Confuses the poor lad

Back