Eddie Bravo: JJ Unleashed book

VampireMonk said:
awww bird, every time I see your avatar, he's just soooo cuddley!!!!
A cold, hungry wolf is "cuddley"? That's the 1st time someone has said that about the av.

bird1965 said:
Yes Eddie did have Gi training with one of the best in fact JJ Machado but he said learning under Jean Jack is when he started thinking about no gi because Jean Jack has only part of a hand so he couldn't really use the gi grip for that hand and had to modify more traditional jui jitsu. Very good point about training the mind. Also no answers on why this book has a 2006 copyright date yet?

Jean Jacques Machado's grip with his bad hand is better than with his good hand from all accounts.

Maybe he's copyrighted the term from 2006 onwards as another company already has Jiujitsu Unleashed registered and copyrighted currently.

Sometimes Jean Jacques jokingly says in class "and i dont want to hear anyone complain about their fingers hurting from grabbing the GI"

I always think thats funny.

Superbeast said:
Jean Jacques Machado's grip with his bad hand is better than with his good hand from all accounts.

Maybe he's copyrighted the term from 2006 onwards as another company already has Jiujitsu Unleashed registered and copyrighted currently.
Eddie talks a little about Jean Jacques ( don't know why I called him Jack earlier) and his grip and how that Jean Jaques doesn't grip like the more traditional Jui Jitsu guys. Good point about the copyright being owned by someone else that could be it. I was just hoping that this was some kind of advanced copy.

Resendiz said:
Sometimes Jean Jacques jokingly says in class "and i dont want to hear anyone complain about their fingers hurting from grabbing the GI"

I always think thats funny.
How does Jean Jaques feel about Eddie doing what is basically heresy in the Jui Jitsu world? No Gi training from the beginning. Since Jean Jaques was Eddie's 1st Jui Jitsu teacher.

Immortal-BJJ said:
I'm ignorant huh? How fuckin long has jiu-jitsu been around, and the gi has always been used... oh so what, we're the magical fuckin generation that's gonna change the way jiu-jitsu has been done for hundreds of years. Because you feel training without the gi is better, jiu-jitsu will now finally take on an evolution that's been waiting to happen? There is no jiu-jitsu without the gi! Oh and that tap on Royler that you think is not so lucky, ask any other fuckin black belt that night who wanted to face Royler and see what they say...

Hold old is Helio?

A hundred and twenty years ago, Jigoro Kano changed JJJ forever. About thirty-forty years later, Mitsuyo Maeda introduced it to the sons of Gastao Gracie, and changed it even further over the next forty years. Their children further evolved it in the next generation, and it's changing again now. There is no "magical generation", it's all been in flux for about two centuries, all told (it's just sketchy pre-Kano).

This is JJ without the gi. It's called no-gi Jiu-Jitsu.

A Japanese judoka, prizefighter, and former member of the Kodokan named Mitsuyo Maeda emigrated to Brazil in the 1910s where a local influential businessman named Gast

Immortal-BJJ said:
I'm ignorant huh? How fuckin long has jiu-jitsu been around, and the gi has always been used... oh so what, we're the magical fuckin generation that's gonna change the way jiu-jitsu has been done for hundreds of years. Because you feel training without the gi is better, jiu-jitsu will now finally take on an evolution that's been waiting to happen? There is no jiu-jitsu without the gi! Oh and that tap on Royler that you think is not so lucky, ask any other fuckin black belt that night who wanted to face Royler and see what they say...

Do you understand what the whole point of MMA is? It's about taking what has worked in the past, refining it and applying it succesfully in a fight.

If we all followed your logic then we'd still all be doing karate kata under Fred Ettish like instructors. Just as BJJ's exposure in the UFC changed the way people viewed martial arts before Eddie's approach is changing the way people view no gi grappling in terms of positioning and control. Whether you like it or not, the guy is adapting BJJ to be better suited for MMA and he's very innovative.

Eddie set up the submission when he had his opportunity and Royler, despite his best efforts, couldn't avoid or escape it using any triangle defenses. That isn't luck. That's applying a technique effectively.

Superbeast said:
Do you understand what the whole point of MMA is? It's about taking what has worked in the past, refining it and applying it succesfully in a fight.

If we all followed your logic then we'd still all be doing karate kata under Fred Ettish like instructors. Just as BJJ's exposure in the UFC changed the way people viewed martial arts before Eddie's approach is changing the way people view no gi grappling in terms of positioning and control. Whether you like it or not, the guy is adapting BJJ to be better suited for MMA and he's very innovative.

Eddie set up the submission when he had his opportunity and Royler, despite his best efforts, couldn't avoid or escape it using any triangle defenses. That isn't luck. That's applying a technique effectively.
I agree with your point. And it seems a very good one but I run into the same type of people all the time that say the same start with the Gi. Eddie ways will either be proven or disproven in a few years. If G. Strebrendt keeps improving and makes it back to the UFC we will have to see if Eddie can keep improving upon jui jitsu.

is what Eddie Bravo does THAT innovative?

or is it his approach?
I think it's his thinking and approach. It's more of a HOW to adapt BJJ to non-gi training.
rather than a NEW invention.

VampireMonk said:
is what Eddie Bravo does THAT innovative?

or is it his approach?
I think it's his thinking and approach. It's more of a HOW to adapt BJJ to non-gi training.
rather than a NEW invention.
No it looks like Eddie is making the next generation of Jui Jitsu moves. It is his approach of strating without the GI but he is also adding different moves like the twister. Eddie told me one time the twister is just his name for what wrestlers call the "wrestling guillitine".

I just read the book and I have changed a lot of ways of my thinking on grappling. Bravo was the man, anybody that trains at 10th Planet is a lucky bastard

just got back from bjj class, pulled the old school sweep against 3 blue belts (btw I'm only a white with 33 classes)

Eddie Bravo = God

bird1965 said:
How does Jean Jaques feel about Eddie doing what is basically heresy in the Jui Jitsu world? No Gi training from the beginning. Since Jean Jaques was Eddie's 1st Jui Jitsu teacher.

From what I've heard JJ is very proud of Eddie. Gave him his black belt right off his own waist. Maybe Eddie can clarify it himself if he's cruising the boards again.

Eddie even says that JJ is one of the pioneers that helped no gi grappling/jiu jitsu in the form of technique adapting, refining and creation.

As a grappling noob, wouldn't it make more sense to start with no-gi and then go onto gi? As far as I know there's no techniques in no-gi that don't work in gi competitions, but obviously not the other way round. I just seems illogical to start by teaching people a system with more moves and then "evolve" them onto a "simpler" system. I can imagine someone used to grabbing the gi to do throws being screwed when he can't grab flesh.

A lot of people feel that gi is more beneficial because due to what I call "clutch and grab" (soz, I'm a hockey player), more technique is required as opposed to no gi where natural ability, agility and speed can get you by. So it forces you to sit and think, plan ahead and work on your technique.

Most people feel that the technique you gain in what is considered the slower paced portion of grappling is more beneficial in the long run.

Immortal-BJJ said:

so BJJ should NEVER change and should always stay the same just because they have been like that since the beginning??

Do you know why traditional martial arts suck? cuz they never evolve, they never improve. They just do the same shit that has been taught for hundreds of years and do not expand or bring innovation to their technique.

If everybody had an attitude like you - jiu jitsu would never improve or evolve, infact there would be no BJJ, only Judo and JJJ. Because incase you forgot - BJJ came from innovation and the idea of improving/evolving an art into something new and better.

and yea , I do think it's possible that we will be the generation to change jiu jitsu or maybe we wont. Maybe it will be the next generation of bjj practitioners or the generation after that. All I know is - it has to start somewhere and with somebody. It started with the gracies and it can continue as long as there are people out there who are trying to evolve the art such as eddie.

you can go ahead and think with a closed mind. But me? I will keep an open mind to new ideas and techniques so that I can improve my game as far as it can go.

Superbeast said:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Foppa21 said:
A lot of people feel that gi is more beneficial because due to what I call "clutch and grab" (soz, I'm a hockey player), more technique is required as opposed to no gi where natural ability, agility and speed can get you by. So it forces you to sit and think, plan ahead and work on your technique.

Most people feel that the technique you gain in what is considered the slower paced portion of grappling is more beneficial in the long run.

yep, takes a lot of technique to "clutch and grab" the collar and hold you're opponent in you're guard. Or instead of controlling him with overhooks/underhooks or wrist control, you just use that super technical 'sleeve grabbing' technique.

man, that shit is toooo advanced for me. :eek:

Foppa21 said:

This the same philosophy preached by Jacare, Roger, Marcelinho, and Leozinho. Notice that each guy owns his respective weight division and some more in ADCC, the proving ground for no-gi grappling. Then you have Werdum, Pe de Pano, Marcinho (Feitosa), Rani Yahya, Wagney Fabiano, Demian Maia, and of course Saulo and Xande, who are all phenomenal no-gi grapplers.

Even Eddie himself trained extensively with the gi when he starts, and so does all the best grapplers in world. Notice that Babalu mentioned his grappling in MMA has become much better since he joined Gracie Barra and he's been training a lot more with the gi. Embrace the gi.

Back