Eddie Bravo: JJ Unleashed book

Luta Livre guys was the most successful guys against BJJ in Brazil up until
the Chute Boxe guys came out, then it was like,
BJJ vs LL vs Chute Boxe.
Pele beat a few BJJ & LL guys, then it took Johil de Oliveira (LL) & Wallid (BJJ)
to mix in & lay some smack down.

My point is, the Luta Livre guys were amongst the first to incorporate a lot more
striking than BJJ in Vale Tudo.
Take guys like Ebenezner Fontes Braga, Johil, & Marco Ruas, many of their fighters
won by striking like Hugo Duarte, The Pedro.
So that was their strength compared to BJJ. But as far as ground grappling technique
went, BJJ had the technical edge.
And don't tell me if the LL guys didn't strike so much or do Vale Tudo so much
they would have been just as skilled on the ground as the BJJ guys.
they did NOT purposely decrease grappling skill for striking.
They were known as grappling without the gi, why would they limit their best weapon?
Just watch Renzo vs Eugenio and tell me who is more technical on the ground?

VampireMonk said:
Luta Livre guys was the most successful guys against BJJ in Brazil up until
the Chute Boxe guys came out, then it was like,
BJJ vs LL vs Chute Boxe.
Pele beat a few BJJ & LL guys, then it took Johil de Oliveira (LL) & Wallid (BJJ)
to mix in & lay some smack down.

My point is, the Luta Livre guys were amongst the first to incorporate a lot more
striking than BJJ in Vale Tudo.
Take guys like Ebenezner Fontes Braga, Johil, & Marco Ruas, many of their fighters
won by striking like Hugo Duarte, The Pedro.
So that was their strength compared to BJJ. But as far as ground grappling technique
went, BJJ had the technical edge.
And don't tell me if the LL guys didn't strike so much or do Vale Tudo so much
they would have been just as skilled on the ground as the BJJ guys.
they did NOT purposely decrease grappling skill for striking.
They were known as grappling without the gi, why would they limit their best weapon?
Just watch Renzo vs Eugenio and tell me who is more technical on the ground?
LL was more submission grappling without the Gi. Ruas came from a kickboxing background before going to Luta Livre. Duarte was the LL champ that's why he fought Rickson twice instead of Ruas fighting Rickson. The last part I don't get as Renzo is more technical than Tadeau. Just watch Tadeau's fight with Burnett he has nowhere the defense of a good BJJ guy.

For stictly MMA use I would think that you don't need any gi training. I'm interested in both sport BJJ and sub grappling so I want to train both. Big difference though, I get really annoyed with all the sleave grabbing wearing a gi. It's a totally different game.

bird1965 said:
LL was more submission grappling without the Gi. Ruas came from a kickboxing background before going to Luta Livre. Duarte was the LL champ that's why he fought Rickson twice instead of Ruas fighting Rickson. The last part I don't get as Renzo is more technical than Tadeau. Just watch Tadeau's fight with Burnett he has nowhere the defense of a good BJJ guy.

Mikey Burnett put some serious hurt on that dude. Good fight though.

I agree that if you are planning to fight MMA, then you might as well start training no gi and keep training no gi. You can also lift a lot of weights and concentrate on being "explosive" rather than technically sound. As Rickson says, "you don't need technique (in today's mma), you need muscles."

That said, Eddie's anti-gi jihad is a little tired. Who are all these guys who are failing in MMA because they are still hung up on wearing a gi? Anybody think that maybe some of these guys--and I wish he'd name names--are just better jiu jitsu fighters than MMA fighters?

I think this is increasingly a straw man argument. This might have been a problem back when Jean Jacques Machado and Ralph Gracie were busy getting kneed in the face in MMA fights. But this is hardly the reality for jiu jitsu fighters trying to go MMA in 2006.

I don't want to bash Bravo. But as memories of his victory over Royler start to fade, being the most anti-gi ji jitsu guy on the planet seems to be his current claim to fame. Even Laimon isn't that extreme.

For stictly MMA use I would think that you don't need any gi training. I'm interested in both sport BJJ and sub grappling so I want to train both. Big difference though, I get really annoyed with all the sleave grabbing wearing a gi. It's a totally different game.
To beginner I think they should start out with a Gi if for no other reason to keep down infections. Look how many times staf infections have showed up on the Ultimate fighter.

Back