Eddie Bravo: JJ Unleashed book

He has developed some moves people have never seen, he has beaten royler, and has a new approach to bjj. However if it is so all encompassing all powerful how come royler is the only big name guy he could beat?

How come he is not the guy winning adcc if his style is so superior to the gi? Him saying its so much better is no better than the guy who thinks he can death touch people. If it is so much better then prove it. Beat the best in the world, again and again.
I give him props for beating royler but come oN! That was 1 guy, 1 time. He needs to be doing this on a regular basis, or have a student who is..

He is better than most, but traditional still proves to be the best.

To my knowledge the traditional moves are still the ones winning the biggest and most prestigious tournaments in the world.

Gsoares2 said:
He has developed some moves people have never seen, he has beaten royler, and has a new approach to bjj. However if it is so all encompassing all powerful how come royler is the only big name guy he could beat?

How come he is not the guy winning adcc if his style is so superior to the gi? Him saying its so much better is no better than the guy who thinks he can death touch people. If it is so much better then prove it. Beat the best in the world, again and again.
I give him props for beating royler but come oN! That was 1 guy, 1 time. He needs to be doing this on a regular basis, or have a student who is..

He is better than most, but traditional still proves to be the best.

To my knowledge the traditional moves are still the ones winning the biggest and most prestigious tournaments in the world.

He won the NA ADCC qualifiers to get to ADCC, and beat Royler AS A BROWN BELT. He had less than 10 years of experience, and a lot of these guys have been doing it all of their lives. Besides, I haven't heard of him doing any competiting lately, but he does have a match coming up.

b0b said:
He won the NA ADCC qualifiers to get to ADCC, and beat Royler AS A BROWN BELT. He had less than 10 years of experience, and a lot of these guys have been doing it all of their lives. Besides, I haven't heard of him doing any competiting lately, but he does have a match coming up.
So what your telling me is he beat a guy who is much older then him as well.. wow even less impressive.

I told you, He is good.. very good. But he is not the best. How can he claim the old way is so shitty when he cant even beat the guys that are still training mostly gi?

We will see how he does in the super fight comming up.. He will be fighting a traditional gi player which should be good to add fuel to the fire.

Gsoares2 said:
So what your telling me is he beat a guy who is much older then him as well.. wow even less impressive.

No, if you had basic reading comprehension skills, you would notice that I said that people like Royler have been training BJJ all of their lives and that Eddie had been doing it for less than 10 years. No where did I reference either one's age. Royler probably is roughly (within 5 years) the same age as Eddie, but really I have no idea.

Gsoares2 said:
I told you, He is good.. very good. But he is not the best. How can he claim the old way is so shitty when he cant even beat the guys that are still training mostly gi?

He never says the "old way is shitty." His opinion is that if you want to do no-gi and MMA, training strictly no-gi makes sense. He never claims to be the best jiu-jitsu guy in the world, EVER. He is simply trying a new approach, and we will see how sucessful he is in the long run.

Gsoares2 said:
We will see how he does in the super fight comming up.. He will be fighting a traditional gi player which should be good to add fuel to the fire.

Should be a good fight. I am curious how he will do as well.

PEEEEEOOOOOPLE! I'm losing my mind with all this "Eddie Bravo's JJ: the new revolution" etc. Where the FUCK is the revolution??? Twister and the lockdown is a revolution? The hg sweeps were always there (just ask Gordo), the rubber guard was always there (just ask Nino). Some of you guys bought Eddie's book, never saw Gordo competing or his instructionals (or other hg instr.) and now claim: "wow, I'm amazed... it completely changed my game... I swept a blue belt...".
All his stuff points out cause he doesn't have a complete game! Even his half-guard is not "complete". He has a weak left side hg (just ask Leo).
And now you want me not to listen to Roger, Marcelo, Leo, Jacare, Saulo (ADCC and Mundial champions) when they say "train with the gi, too" and listen to a guy that his only accomplishment is beating one time Royler? And please don't start mentioning "most technical fighter in trials" cause it's lame. It's like I'm claiming "I'm the best football player on my block".
BTW, nobody scored an "actual" point against Royler in ADCC. But they "scored" in the 5 minutes mark where they don't award them. But he has been swept more than once, even mounted (although no referee would have scored it).

Superbeast said:
Bas knows his shit but I wouldn't go that far. I don't see any grappling championships amongst his titles.
I was just about to write considered by who

tudor_bjj said:
PEEEEEOOOOOPLE! I'm losing my mind with all this "Eddie Bravo's JJ: the new revolution" etc. Where the FUCK is the revolution??? Twister and the lockdown is a revolution? The hg sweeps were always there (just ask Gordo), the rubber guard was always there (just ask Nino). Some of you guys bought Eddie's book, never saw Gordo competing or his instructionals (or other hg instr.) and now claim: "wow, I'm amazed... it completely changed my game... I swept a blue belt...".
All his stuff points out cause he doesn't have a complete game! Even his half-guard is not "complete". He has a weak left side hg (just ask Leo).
And now you want me not to listen to Roger, Marcelo, Leo, Jacare, Saulo (ADCC and Mundial champions) when they say "train with the gi, too" and listen to a guy that his only accomplishment is beating one time Royler? And please don't start mentioning "most technical fighter in trials" cause it's lame. It's like I'm claiming "I'm the best football player on my block".
BTW, nobody scored an "actual" point against Royler in ADCC. But they "scored" in the 5 minutes mark where they don't award them. But he has been swept more than once, even mounted (although no referee would have scored it).
whats old is new again

Neither of them are that old. I think Royler's probably late 30s or so. I think Eddie's like 33 or 34 now

Gsoares2 said:

I dunno when i just watched the vide on his site he was dogging the gi and sports jiu jitsu alot. The thing is, the guys from sport jiu jitsu are the ones beating him... funny how that works out.

sakufan said:
This the same philosophy preached by Jacare, Roger, Marcelinho, and Leozinho. Notice that each guy owns his respective weight division and some more in ADCC, the proving ground for no-gi grappling. Then you have Werdum, Pe de Pano, Marcinho (Feitosa), Rani Yahya, Wagney Fabiano, Demian Maia, and of course Saulo and Xande, who are all phenomenal no-gi grapplers.

Even Eddie himself trained extensively with the gi when he starts, and so does all the best grapplers in world. Notice that Babalu mentioned his grappling in MMA has become much better since he joined Gracie Barra and he's been training a lot more with the gi. Embrace the gi.

I don't see how what happens in the ADCC is relevant since so many there wear a gi- including Jacare & Roger- when practically none in MMA (especially those in the Top 10's) wear a gi.

Madmick said:
I don't see how what happens in the ADCC is relevant since so many there wear a gi- including Jacare & Roger- when practically none in MMA (especially those in the Top 10's) wear a gi.
because this is the grappling technique forum..Not the mma forum: ADCC is the premier grappling tournament.

None of the top 10?
Shogun, Wanderlei Silva, Shembri..Arona...... the list continues.

yea after all... Eddie was the first person to ever submit a Gracie.. if u didn

Gracies have submitted other Gracies before.

Eddie isn't the first to submit a Gracie. Off the top of my head I recall that Walid Ismael clock choked Royce and Mario Sperry did the same to Royler in Gi.
tudor_bjj said:
PEEEEEOOOOOPLE! I'm losing my mind with all this "Eddie Bravo's JJ: the new revolution" etc. Where the FUCK is the revolution??? Twister and the lockdown is a revolution? The hg sweeps were always there (just ask Gordo), the rubber guard was always there (just ask Nino).
It is more of an evolution than a revolution, but then again, so is BJJ in general. Every position, including Half Guard, De La Riva Guard, and even to a point Rubber Guard, has been documented prior to its 'invention' in BJJ. BJJ mainly popularized and documented what previously existed. According to Carlson Gracie Jr., camcorders and videotape are largely responsible for making what were indivuals personal, undocumented styles into common knowledge within the BJJ community. The availability of instructional videos has accellerated and spread this popularization effect.
..And now you want me not to listen to Roger, Marcelo, Leo, Jacare, Saulo (ADCC and Mundial champions) when they say "train with the gi, too"
  Eddie has been training Jiu Jitsu for a far shorter time than any of those people. That he is competitive with, let alone beat Royler in no gi, is a testament to the obvious, which is that focusing on something is better than not focusing on it. The fact that life-long grapplers tend to win grappling tournaments (whether they've spent their life in a gi or not) is a testament to the transferability of a majority of grappling skills (especially the top game) to no gi.
   It seems to me that Eddie's observation of the overdependance on the gi in traditional BJJ's bottom game is still valid. If you look at the just relesed book The Guard (sequel to the popular Passing The Guard), you see a bottom game from 7th degree BB Joe Moreira that is still largely gi dependant, and combinations that often hinge on the gi choke and transitioning to other moves based on the opponent defending the gi choke. That whole game doesn't work without a collar, and may very well be the major reason that BJJ based fighters lose a lot of their fights when they are put on their back in modern MMA. Nog seems to get by on his toughness (chin) rather than even trying to have a style that limits how much he gets hit on the bottom. That is something that most people cannot afford to do. If Nog played more of a rubber guard style, he might have won against Fedor in their first fight, and at least would have been hit less.

i started with no gi (because of my wrestling bg) i felt it would make an easier transition.... well the first tourney i did was a gi tourney. I had 0 practices in a gi and did 2 weight classes i came out 4-1 with 2 medals a gold and a bronze. i thought the transition from no gi to the gi was fairly easy seen as how i didnt have to worry about a slip off the head or arm (due to sweat) So i totally agree with eddie i think its easier if u learn no gi better cause,believe it or not, u learn better control with no gi having to control wrists and legs with ur grip not just holding on to a gi

Gsoares2 said:
But Mario sperry was trained at gracie barra, under carlos jr and other big name gracies/machados...Didnt wallid train under them as well?? i know mario did but not sure about wallid.

Mario Sperry and Wallid Ismail are both under Carlson Gracie and not Carlos Gracie Jr. I do not believe that they have ever trained under the Gracie Barra banner as they are strictly Carlson's guys.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Mario Sperry and Wallid Ismail are both under Carlson Gracie and not Carlos Gracie Jr. I do not believe that they have ever trained under the Gracie Barra banner as they are strictly Carlson's guys.
Your right, i was getting the names confused. So many gracies out there its hard to keep track.

Back