Eddie Bravo Interview

lol..

I am sure you don't say that when other people are interviewed, and BJJ and sports people are interviewed all the time. You just part of immature cult viewpoint -- the anti Eddie Bravo cult and the mindless internet readers that believe the opinions of either the internet or their personal bias gym.

that is funny you mention that.

The anti Eddie Bravo cult. I saw a vid of Eddie telling his disciples on how much he was hated in the BJJ community.

I think he just another BJJ BB making a living by establishing and marketing his school to guys like you.

I wonder if Ari Bolden had to pay any money for his purple shirt.

why does eddie have to sounds like a jack ass in all of interviews about your school?

EB's interviews might sound like they are challenging the BJJ establishment for no other reason than to stir up shit, but that is not what is going on.

EB has been on the receiving end of major shit/flack from some BJJ insiders for years, especially Gracie Barra. Therefore, his interview focus is a built up response to many years of negativity -- it is not a guy who is trying to be a provoking prick, as some here who know better, and know the history would have you believe.

Last edited:
Lmao Fourfif was happenin home slice?!? Yo i'll be in your area in the beginning of October, I still wanna go out and get those brews!

most definitely! zeitzeist is right down the street, and there are so many types of food around us it's not even funny. I think I shot you my number once before but hit me up before you come and I'll make sure you have it. If you want I can take you to Judo with me on a saturday morning (only $10 drop in!), which would be priceless since my coach at cahills is a 4x ntl champ and a certified badass.

most definitely! zeitzeist is right down the street, and there are so many types of food around us it's not even funny. I think I shot you my number once before but hit me up before you come and I'll make sure you have it. If you want I can take you to Judo with me on a saturday morning (only $10 drop in!), which would be priceless since my coach at cahills is a 4x ntl champ and a certified badass.

Hell yea bro, i'm excited. Remember that one "dilemma", I was going through? That shish is STILL going down (nope, not over yet, lol).

EB's interviews might sound like they are challenging the BJJ establishment for no other reason than to stir up shit, but that is not what is going on.

EB has been on the receiving end of major shit/flack from some BJJ insiders for years, especially Gracie Barra. Therefore, his interview focus is a built up response to many years of negativity -- it is not a guy who is coming off as a provoking prick, as some who know better would have you believe.
lol what are these attacks by Gracie Barra? sounds like eddie is just pissed that everyone outside his cult is completely ignoring his cruddy system

^ You were almost completely right, a good interview but his attitude towards traditional Jiu Jitsu is not gaining him any fans.

isn't his attitude the same as BJJ had against TMA?

so many people have started playing Jiu-Jitsu

wtf? do you play it?

I do like his sentiment about training with everybody thou

The thing is:

Until Bravo wins something noteworthy or trains a student that does, using his system, then he has to shut up. The reason why nobody likes him is that he mooches off his victory over Royler oh-so-many years ago. He beat Royler once in no-gi. Congrats.

Get over it. This is BJJ, with the exception of Roger, everybody loses.

Now go back to competing or train someone who wins something and THEN open your mouth.

That's all there is to it.

The thing is:

Until Bravo wins something noteworthy or trains a student that does, using his system, then he has to shut up. The reason why nobody likes him is that he mooches off his victory over Royler oh-so-many years ago. He beat Royler once in no-gi. Congrats.

Now go back to competing or train someone who wins something and THEN open your mouth.

that's why draculino is a pimp.

The thing is:

have you ever used a tenth planet technique?

have you ever used them correctly?

if both are yes, then you should know that all techniques have their time and place.

lol what are these attacks by Gracie Barra? sounds like eddie is just pissed that everyone outside his cult is completely ignoring his cruddy system

First sign of a cult:

when the leader is telling stories to alienate his followers into thinking the rest of the world hate them.

na just kidding...the GB guy was actually someone which nickname start with Drac

if both are yes, then you should know that all techniques have their time and place.

You see posts like this is what gives the 10thPJJ assc. a bad name. Guys who actually train at 10thPJJ schools (I wont say his name, but we have a guy who trains at one in this thread) dont even sound as cult'ish as you do. Since your going to nut-ride so damn hard, I have a question, how many times have you actually trained with Eddie himself? Please dont bring up some Purple Shirts name that you've trained with who got his Purple Shirt by agreeing to bring Eddie out for X amount of seminars per year, who pays association fee's, im talking the REAL thing. How often have *YOU* *PERSONALLY* had that?

If you can count it all on one hand, you need to stop being so judgmental, and go train more.

I am 2/3rds of the way thru a Bravo DVD instructional... and a few thoughts.

Eddie Bravo does a pretty good job explaining/showing some of "his" moves that have some weird names. Alot of the lockdown/half guard stuff I play is very similar to what's on this DVD and it's showing me a few opportunities I can use to shore up that along with the butterfly game I have started to play the last 2 months.

As far as the BJJ side of it I like the DVD...him talking, Joey Karate, and the weed stuff...yeah I think he's a bit of a moron...but I have "friends" who are just like him with those kind of views. He's a bit much on that, not my cup of tea...but he's out there with some of his views.

To sum it up, some of what he shows is useful for some people the rubber guard is not for me, he didn't really invent anything new but he does have some skills. None of this is revolutionary and I gave it my best shot with an open mind. I don't agree with all his theories on traditional BJJ vs him, and the I wear Gi pants but not a GI etc, or his weed stances but everyone can have their own opinion.

I think we have to be absolutely clear about this:

Everybody knows that Eddie Bravo is a good grappler. A very talented grappler. We all know that he is a good teacher and his book on the half-guard is very good. Up to this, he deserves a lot of respect.

Things start getting bad for him when Eddie starts to talk his anti-gi crusade. Now, everybody is entitled to their opinion, and so is he, so his opinion is not the issue.

The issues with Eddie Bravo are:

1- How he mentions his win against Royler to this very day.

Look at the worlds. Look at the black belts BJJ championships out there, and you will see a striking pattern for everyone not named Roger or Rickson Gracie: they lose. Everybody loses. The best of the best of the best in the world, lose. Braulio loses. Tarsis loses. Xande loses. Saulo loses. Kyra loses. Fabio Gurgel loses. Marcelinho (!) loses too.

What you do not see is athletes going on about how they beat other athletes, and living off of this. Once a tournament is over, it's over. That's it. You got it, you won, or lost. Athletes who are actually good do not go around mentioning who they beat, and when, especially because they all defeat and lose to each other on a constant basis.

Eddie beat Royler once, a long, long time ago. Since then, he has chosen to step out of competition and focus on his music. Good for him. He has, since then, failed to prove his system and his beliefs in competition. He actually hasn't even competed.

Fact is: Eddie is not a top 10% black belt in the world. I don't even think is in the top 50% of black belts in the world, skill wise. There are literally thousands of black belts who are more skilled than he is, teaching, and still competing, while Eddie doesn't and instead goes on and on and on about a victory he had one day.

That is reason number 1 why nobody likes him.

2- His no-gi crusade and conspiracy theories

Eddie Bravo has been talking down the gi for years, which like I said, is cool, we all have our opinions. The problem here is that he ignores the fact that luta livre fighters ( no gi) , catch wrestlers, and no gi BJJ schools, have minimal success in top no gi grappling competitions ( worlds, ADCC) where they should dominate, as opposed to regular gi training guys. His argument is proven moot pretty much right there.

But Eddie goes further by making a martyr out of himself, insinuating that the BJJ establishment is against his revolutionary ideas and has been sabotaging him.
This is so pretentious and unrealistic that it hurts: nobody outside of America knows or gives a crap about who Eddie Bravo is. If he wasn't Joe Rogan's teacher, he would have been absolutely forgotten by now. In Brazil, go to any gym ( and I've been to many of them all across the country) and ask about Eddie Bravo. You will get blank stares. They will ask you "was he in the mundials last year?"

No. He wasn't.

3- He has failed to produce any evidence to support his claims

This is simple: 10thPlanet guys should, according to Bravo's beliefs, be doing exceptionally well in competition. He has had enough time to graduate black belts. Unfortunately, 10thPJJ guys have so far been unable to succeed in the highest levels of no gi grappling, despite Eddie's beliefs.

And so has he. Not that he competes anyway.

4- He picks the douchiest names for moves, and appropriates them as if they were his own

Idiotic, retarded names for moves. Make him sound like an idiot.

5- His music sucks

Nothing personal, but it does.

6- His advocacy of marijuana

Is done in an obnoxious, pedantic manner. Like his advocacy of most things.

-------------

That's how it is. All Eddie has to do to show his point is WIN or train someone who DOES. He hasn't.

See catch wrestling?
We don't know them very well, they aren't as popular as BJJ in the US and Brazil. However, when they want to prove a point they WIN. Two guys , Kazushi Sakuraba and Josh Barnett, to prove their style and belief they did it in the ring and on the mat.

And Josh? No gi world champion AND put on a gi and submitted Otavio Sousa, a former training partner of mine who I KNOW is a beast on the mat. Whose foot was it that he almost broke too? Romulo?

Result? I have mad respect for catch wrestling. From 2 guys.

!0thPJJ? 1 win against Royler x failure in everything else.

SHUT.
THE.
FUCK.

UP.

Nobody is re inventing the wheel my man. I've been doing the twister since the 80's, and someone was able to trace back alot of these leg grabbing guards to other practitioners and then even back to judo, and who knows where they got their stuff....

As far as a 10th planet style... I never use the rubber guard, and I train there. Maybe I should more, but I'm not all that flexible, and really enjoy the 1/2 guard more. They never harp on me to use it, they encourage my 1/2 guard game growth, and try to work with other students the same way, i.e. to train based on what they like to use or is effective for them. Some people use it, but from coming in here and asking questions and doing research, I'm fairly comfortable dealing with it.

Also, one coach spent a good portion of the class talking fundamentals and so forth. Some of that shit can work great if you know how to use it and whatnot, but don't let his "outsider" image fool you. It's just a bjj gym and some marketing hype.

Either your instructor is legit or he's not. It's all grappling, it's always awesome, so at the end of the day, it's the same shit everywhere you go.

Last edited:
the highest belt that is competing in mma under eddie is a brown (dan hardy) and he was a purple when he fought gsp...

the last adcc was like what 10 months ago?
eddie gave out his first black 8 months ago...

not excuses...just putting it in perspective...yall are ridiculous with the claims to "prove it works"

if you tried it yourself for 5 months you'd see the potential in it. it's just a guard. the outcome of using that guard is based on how much you use it.

rubber guard isn't like deep half guard, there's a lot more to it.

2 things:

1. You don't have to be a black belt to be in ADCC. Ben Askren was there and he's a purple belt. Chris Weidman too, and Chris even came close to subbing Andrew Galvao with a Darce/Brabo and a Peruvian Necktie.

2. You obviously know jack shit about the deep half guard..... It's extremely detailed, with lots of minute details that I would be lucky to learn if I studied it everyday for years. Jeff Glover is still refining the deep half guard, and he's a master at it.

I think we have to be absolutely clear about this:

Everybody knows that Eddie Bravo is a good grappler. A very talented grappler. We all know that he is a good teacher and his book on the half-guard is very good. Up to this, he deserves a lot of respect.

Things start getting bad for him when Eddie starts to talk his anti-gi crusade. Now, everybody is entitled to their opinion, and so is he, so his opinion is not the issue.

The issues with Eddie Bravo are:

1- How he mentions his win against Royler to this very day.

Look at the worlds. Look at the black belts BJJ championships out there, and you will see a striking pattern for everyone not named Roger or Rickson Gracie: they lose. Everybody loses. The best of the best of the best in the world, lose. Braulio loses. Tarsis loses. Xande loses. Saulo loses. Kyra loses. Fabio Gurgel loses. Marcelinho (!) loses too.

What you do not see is athletes going on about how they beat other athletes, and living off of this. Once a tournament is over, it's over. That's it. You got it, you won, or lost. Athletes who are actually good do not go around mentioning who they beat, and when, especially because they all defeat and lose to each other on a constant basis.

Eddie beat Royler once, a long, long time ago. Since then, he has chosen to step out of competition and focus on his music. Good for him. He has, since then, failed to prove his system and his beliefs in competition. He actually hasn't even competed.

Fact is: Eddie is not a top 10% black belt in the world. I don't even think is in the top 50% of black belts in the world, skill wise. There are literally thousands of black belts who are more skilled than he is, teaching, and still competing, while Eddie doesn't and instead goes on and on and on about a victory he had one day.

That is reason number 1 why nobody likes him.

2- His no-gi crusade and conspiracy theories

Eddie Bravo has been talking down the gi for years, which like I said, is cool, we all have our opinions. The problem here is that he ignores the fact that luta livre fighters ( no gi) , catch wrestlers, and no gi BJJ schools, have minimal success in top no gi grappling competitions ( worlds, ADCC) where they should dominate, as opposed to regular gi training guys. His argument is proven moot pretty much right there.

But Eddie goes further by making a martyr out of himself, insinuating that the BJJ establishment is against his revolutionary ideas and has been sabotaging him.
This is so pretentious and unrealistic that it hurts: nobody outside of America knows or gives a crap about who Eddie Bravo is. If he wasn't Joe Rogan's teacher, he would have been absolutely forgotten by now. In Brazil, go to any gym ( and I've been to many of them all across the country) and ask about Eddie Bravo. You will get blank stares. They will ask you "was he in the mundials last year?"

No. He wasn't.

3- He has failed to produce any evidence to support his claims

This is simple: 10thPlanet guys should, according to Bravo's beliefs, be doing exceptionally well in competition. He has had enough time to graduate black belts. Unfortunately, 10thPJJ guys have so far been unable to succeed in the highest levels of no gi grappling, despite Eddie's beliefs.

And so has he. Not that he competes anyway.

4- He picks the douchiest names for moves, and appropriates them as if they were his own

Idiotic, retarded names for moves. Make him sound like an idiot.

5- His music sucks

Nothing personal, but it does.

6- His advocacy of marijuana

Is done in an obnoxious, pedantic manner. Like his advocacy of most things.

-------------

That's how it is. All Eddie has to do to show his point is WIN or train someone who DOES. He hasn't.

See catch wrestling?
We don't know them very well, they aren't as popular as BJJ in the US and Brazil. However, when they want to prove a point they WIN. Two guys , Kazushi Sakuraba and Josh Barnett, to prove their style and belief they did it in the ring and on the mat.

And Josh? No gi world champion AND put on a gi and submitted Otavio Sousa, a former training partner of mine who I KNOW is a beast on the mat. Whose foot was it that he almost broke too? Romulo?

Result? I have mad respect for catch wrestling. From 2 guys.

!0thPJJ? 1 win against Royler x failure in everything else.

SHUT.
THE.
FUCK.

UP.

This should be stickied and there should be a permanent thread for 10th Planet hate/love/debate etc.

I would like to add that I do disagree with Eddienot giving credit to moves. If Eddie does something someone else has done first, he usually names it after them. He's really good about giving credit. I've seen him credit Baret Yoshida, Eric Schafer, Joe D'Arce, Mayhem Miller, Marc Laimon, Marcelo Garcia, Gordo, etc. Maybe I'm wrong though. I don't keep up with that much 10thP stuff. The last thing I got was the Fade to Black DVD set.

My problem with a lot of the names is I can't say some of them around younger students, and my old gym wouldn't carry his books because of the marijuana stuff, as there were youth classes too. It's kinda weird to yell, "go to crackhead control!" to a kid. I doubt he gives a shit though. His books obviously are meant for those 18 and up.

You see posts like this is what gives the 10thPJJ assc. a bad name. Guys who actually train at 10thPJJ schools (I wont say his name, but we have a guy who trains at one in this thread) dont even sound as cult'ish as you do. Since your going to nut-ride so damn hard, I have a question, how many times have you actually trained with Eddie himself? Please dont bring up some Purple Shirts name that you've trained with who got his Purple Shirt by agreeing to bring Eddie out for X amount of seminars per year, who pays association fee's, im talking the REAL thing. How often have *YOU* *PERSONALLY* had that?

If you can count it all on one hand, you need to stop being so judgmental, and go train more.

LOL how the FUCK am I a nut hugger?

All I fucking am saying is that all techniques have their time and place, and that all techniques can be used correctly/incorrectly.

I'm talking to the dumbasses that say the tenth planet system never works and that it is all bullshit, needs to be proven, etc etc. they are just as blind as the tenth planet nuthuggers saying that closed guard is dead and rubber guard is the future.

you're just too dense to see that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back