Eddie Bravo Interview

Denny Prokopos won Fila no-gi world championships.

Anyways, here's an opinion. YouTube - George Sotiropoulos Interview: Fight with Joe Stevenson and Training at 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

Sotriopolis was already a blackbelt under a Machado BB, if I remember right. And Denny came up under another instructor to, though got his BB from Eddie. The point still stands. You can link Grappler's Quest wins and random dudes pulling RG in minor mma shows until your fingers bleed. The stuff Eddie and the 10th planet fanboys brag about isn't used on the big stage to win the big shows. I've mostly seen RG used to stall.

Sotriopolis was already a blackbelt under a Machado BB, if I remember right. And Denny came up under another instructor to, though got his BB from Eddie. The point still stands. You can link Grappler's Quest wins and random dudes pulling RG in minor mma shows until your fingers bleed. The stuff Eddie and the 10th planet fanboys brag about isn't used on the big stage to win the big shows. I've mostly seen RG used to stall.

the highest belt that is competing in mma under eddie is a brown (dan hardy) and he was a purple when he fought gsp...

the last adcc was like what 10 months ago?
eddie gave out his first black 8 months ago...

not excuses...just putting it in perspective...yall are ridiculous with the claims to "prove it works"

if you tried it yourself for 5 months you'd see the potential in it. it's just a guard. the outcome of using that guard is based on how much you use it.

rubber guard isn't like deep half guard, there's a lot more to it.

Dana talking trash about Fedor is a load of bullshit and your a prick if you think it's justified.

Of course Eddie Bravo is going to milk his win but he mentions it all the fucking time after all these years and he has yet to compete after that comp.

Eddie Bravo has some good stuff to say but a lot of it is bullshit.

I'm a big Fedor fan, and I think the shit Dana says about him in laughable... but I also realize that Dana is running a business and it is in his best interest to cut down the competition as much as possible. I certainly wouldn't expect him to tout Fedor as the greatest fighter in the world... at least not until he signed him, at which point I have no doubt that Dana would tell everyone just that.

Do I think 10th Planet is the greatest system in the world? No. Absolutely not. Do I blame Eddie for promoting his business? Certainly not. Just as I don't jump on the Gracies for trying to convince everyone that GJJ is greatest system in the world. I don't buy it, but I don't blame them for trying to sell it...

... though the $20 Gracie juice bag might be pushing it a little.

Sotriopolis was already a blackbelt under a Machado BB, if I remember right. And Denny came up under another instructor to, though got his BB from Eddie.

The point is you have all these people saying it won't work at a high level, then, to contradict that view, a very high level guy says it works. You guys just can't accept that. Dude...

First it was that it won't work. Then when you show it works, they say it's just BJJ. Then when it works at a high level, they say, they guy who uses it got his BB under someone else. Give me a break!!

And Denny has been with Bravo for 7 years. He got is blue under someone else. Bt got everything else from Bravo.

Man is there anyone out there that doesn't love or hate Eddie?

I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't despise him/ride his nuts.

I don't use any of the 10th Planet system but I would definitely train with Eddie if I could. He actually has very good advice and technical abilities on positions that aren't 10th Planet specific. He is a cool guy that cares a lot about submission grappling and MMA. Plus, he'd be fun to kick it with.

Man is there anyone out there that doesn't love or hate Eddie?

I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't despise him/ride his nuts.

I don't use any of the 10th Planet system but I would definitely train with Eddie if I could. He actually has very good advice and technical abilities on positions that aren't 10th Planet specific. He is a cool guy that cares a lot about submission grappling and MMA. Plus, he'd be fun to kick it with.

Naw, I pretty much feel the same way.

Well.... Bravo had a qualify just to get to ADCC. He won quite a few matches. He was the North American trials champ, and Most Technical Competitor Award, which is a huge accomplishment!

I have a question for those that bash Eddie Bravo, calling it one win, or, criticizing that he started a school from one win, who here knew that he was American ADCC trials champ?

For starters, at the ADCC he tapped Gustavo Dantas, who was a multiple time world and Brazilian champ. I can guarantee that 95% of the critics don't know that about Eddie's record before the Royler match.

With most of the critics, EB has probably accomplished more than their instructors have ever done, which makes it ironic that many would try to discredit a legit and accomplished grappler.

Alright, looks like we've got a knowledgeable BJJ guy here! Since your asking questions, I've got a question for you. You say that Gustavo Dantas is a multiple time and world Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Champ, at which belt was he a champ, and at which tournament?

And as far as people criticizing Eddie all the time, if half the shit that came out his mouth wasnt so damned retarded people wouldnt be so judgmental. Saying all of the stuff that he said in that interview was retarded. It basically read:

"Screw the *traditional* fundamental stuff, im going to skip all that and just fool people with my trickery".

Welp, he couldnt fool Leo, and from the looks of it, his students arent fooling anyone either. The past couple of years 95% of the students that he's had compete get tooled horribly in competition. Now before you nut-riders go throwing Denny's name around, Denny didnt start with Eddie, and has trained with Cesar's camp far more than Eddie himself. Next you'll bring up Bollinger, and I honestly mean no offense when I say this but he hasnt won anything (albeit he's focused on his MMA career, which pays, so more power to him).

Aside from that, thats as far as it goes, which is what confused me with the interview when the guy said Eddie puts out high level guys. Remind me again who's won (or even placed for that matter) at any IBJJF or ADCC event from that camp?

This is crazy.

I come from a traditional school. My instructor got his BB from Royler. I have met and trainied with Eddie at his school and a seminars.

He's a nice guy and he is damn good. I have been lucky enough to roll with a lot of great BB (Royler, Werdum, Marcelo, Saulo, Xande, just to name a few) and Eddie is legit, hes not on the top of the list, but you cant deny his skill.

Rubberguard works, i know this because Eddie and sean bollinger tied a few of our brown belts in knots with it.

Beating Royler when he did was doing what most people thought was impossible, that 1 accomplishment should be enough to garner respect for a lifetime.

Hell i can think of a few guys that have schools in So Cal that people love that dont have half the grappling record Eddie does.

I know the whole weed thing rubs people the wrong way but hes not the only BB around that feels that way, he just happens to let everyone know about it.

Also i cant believe how mad guys get about the naming of moves. Jesus Christ... If i train with some guys from Bara or judo or Catch I hear common moves having different names than the ones i hear in my school. Kimura/figure four/reverse figure four/shoulder lock/crazy judo name ect... Nobody cares unless its 10th planet.

I feels like a mob mentality on sherdog and its really stupid. If half the haters on here actually met Eddie and talked to him I think they'd change there minds. Or at least show a little respect for one of the best American grapplers we have had up to this point.

Wow. I'll take responsibility for this. I started the thread. I run InsideBJJ and the interview was done on my behalf.

Having said that - there's a few things I want to clear up.

I'm enjoying the feedback but I need to make a couple of points.

1) Inside BJJ is not a guerrilla marketer for Eddie Bravo.Inside BJJ provides interviews from anyone involved in BJJ/Submission Grappling. Eddie Bravo just happens to fall in one of those categories.

2) The guy who did the interview did not know he would be interviewing Bravo that day. My guy was covering an event and Bravo happened to be there and he managed to get Bravo to talk for a few minutes. That's why the interview doesn't read exactly like a traditional interview.

3) I definitely don't agree with everything Bravo says. However, the guy is a lightning rod for controversy. As much as people seem to dislike his style, he sure does evoke a lot of discussion from the community.

Thanks again for the feedback.

The point is you have all these people saying it won't work at a high level, then, to contradict that view, a very high level guy says it works. You guys just can't accept that. Dude...

First it was that it won't work. Then when you show it works, they say it's just BJJ. Then when it works at a high level, they say, they guy who uses it got his BB under someone else. Give me a break!!

And Denny has been with Bravo for 7 years. He got is blue under someone else. Bt got everything else from Bravo.

ok, here is reality.

Bravo doesn't have any guys competing in highest level of competition according to you.

fine, then why is no one else using it? why is cobrinha not using rubber guard to beat mendes?

you think eddie is the only person qualified to teach rubber guard?

telling you right now, guys from the top teams will use what works.
alliance guys are using 50/50.

face it, rubber guard does not work at the highest level period.

until someone proves this statement wrong it is the truth.

also, how many people defending eddie actually read the article???

here is some gems:
"Ultimately, the chances are slim, ultimately. Right now, so many people have started playing Jiu-Jitsu, and Jiu-Jitsu is so huge there

no worries OP. keep the interviews coming deff a good read. it's not your interviewers fault that eddie's views are so controversial.

but holy hell... yeah eddie is a business man and has done very well for himself but the way he's went about it has made him look like a total douche bag.

i would love to train with the guy. he deff is a phenom but you can't respect the way he markets his product. feels like he is a door to door sales man who comes into your home, talks nothing about his product and gives you a warm and fuzzy, then goes into length about how great his product is and throws out outrageous claims that sucker you into spending your money... then two weeks later you find the same thing made by a different company that does the job twice as well and is half the price.

So... basically he does the same thing as every other advertising company then?

I don't know eddie, I'm just a grappling vagabond that happens to train here and there at denny's.....

but damn you guys are some haters!

you all know it too... get off the man's nuts. or not. i don't care really, :icon_chee.

sorry not everyone in the gym is a adcc champ or whatever, but there are some solid dudes rolling in here, and I'm having fun, so kick rocks with all that anti-10thP shit. It's just another gym filled with people that love grappling.

It seems you mistakenly typed "everyone" when you clearly meant to say "no one". It's an honest mistake.

So... basically he does the same thing as every other advertising company then?

well i work in marketing so advertising is a HUGE part of what i do. i can smell a salesman a mile away. if i'm feeling bored i'll talk for over an hour to a telemarketer or go check out a used car lot. it's weird i know but nothing makes my day more than talking to a good salesmen. i guess if you've ever been passionate about sales you would know.

but anyway as a good rule of thumb, if you provide a good service people will gravitate to your product and continue to come back for more. a lot of red flags should go up when you see a lot of flashy outlandish claims or someone who down talks all the other competition... it's exactly what eddie does everytime you hear him speak about 10th planet.

i love watching his videos and think he is a legit instructor just makes me shake my head when i hear him talk about his school. it reminds me of one of those internet ads that promises rock hard abs without having to get off your couch.

but anyway as a good rule of thumb, if you provide a good service people will gravitate to your product and continue to come back for more..

In case you don't have a clue, EBs schools are doing very good, with top level grapplers sticking around, including Bollinger and Prokopos.. :)

And at the colored belt level, 10th planet JJ wins plenty of medals. Keep in mind that it is young, and that there are only four BBs in the systems.

In case you don't have a clue, EBs schools are doing very good, with top level grapplers sticking around, including Bollinger and Prokopos.. :)

And at the colored belt level, 10th planet JJ wins plenty of medals. Keep in mind that it is young, and that there are only four BBs in the systems.

i didn't say they weren't... and i wasn't attacking your school just how eddie comes off in public...

but if they are doing so well and you guys are winning tons of medals shouldn't that speak for itself? and why does eddie have to sounds like a jack ass in all of interviews about your school?

Back