Eddie Alvarez refutes notion that all the best fighters are competing in UFC: ‘It’s complete crap’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“That whole theory is crap that everybody who’s the best is a UFC guy,” Alvarez said when speaking to MMA Fighting. “It’s complete crap because I was the guy who didn’t fight in the UFC. I went there and won the belt. I beat arguably the best lightweight in that history. [Rafael dos Anjos] at the time was killing everyone. Like literally murdering the who’s who. So to go to the UFC, win the belt and be a guy from the outside that never fought there, I’m the guy you’re talking about.

“I wasn’t a UFC fighter per se but I went there and I won the world title. If I could do it, isn’t it true that anybody from the outside could possibly go there and win the title? It’s not arguable. It’s fact. The best fighters in the world, they’re all over and they’re virtually unknown.”

“As a fight fan myself, it’s clear that the level of striking is easily in the favor of ONE Championship. That can’t even be argued,” Alvarez said. “When you watch ONE Championship, and when you watch what goes on in the Muay Thai bouts and even the MMA bouts, the striking is vastly better in ONE Championship.”

ONE Championship has a strict set of rules when it comes to weight cutting for its athletes, which essentially means athletes are competing up a division while still technically fighting at a weight class below. In other words, Alvarez is fighting at 170 pounds, which would mean he’s a welterweight in most promotions but in ONE Championship that makes him a lightweight.

Alvarez has faced that type of adversity in his first two fights where both Nastyukhin and Folayang were visibly bigger than him but he knew that would be a problem on the day he signed with ONE Championship and opted to compete in the lightweight division.

“It’s an adjustment that I agreed to. The guys are bigger. My opponents are bigger but they’ve also been fighting in ONE Championship and made that adjustment for years,” Alvarez explained. “I am just now making that adjustment to fighting at a high grade at 170. I’m not going to come in as the biggest 170-pounder. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. I can sit here and say ‘oh they’re bigger’ or I can focus on the good things like I’ll be more conditioned because they have to move around more weight or I’m faster because they’re more muscular. There are pros and cons.

“Being bigger doesn’t always correspond to being better. I’m a true believer that fights aren’t won in a size discrepancy. Fights are won and lost in the spirit of the two guys inside the cage.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

This is known, only the UFC casuals think that narrative.

Yeah, he's right.

giphy.gif

Hespect to Mousasi, also holy fuck @ eating that ridiculous punch but he didn't win that fight for example.

This is known, only the UFC casuals think that narrative.

Agreed, death and misfortune to all casuals

ONE championship has no drug testing so they look better. Eddie is just bitter Conor and Dustin embarrassed him.

UFC has the most talent but that does not mean other orgs have no talented fighters at all.

At the time Alvarez left he was not a top 10 LW anymore but thats because the UFC protects the top 15 from alot of fighters outside top 15. For example Islam.

But it's true that they try to go after the best guys. Not all of them end up there, but the roster is more stacked.

Then why did he get murked by many people in the UFC?

Bellator WW > UFC WW (as a whole)
Probably also the case with MW

It's not a question. But it's also true that the biggest/most profitable MMA promotion is very likely to have the largest concentration of great MMA fighters. It just doesn't have all of them and without a monopoly it would be extremely hard to.

You have to believe this when you get ko'ed by a no name in your 1st fight outside the UFC.

Yeah, he's right.

giphy.gif

Hespect to Mousasi, also holy fuck @ eating that ridiculous punch but he didn't win that fight for example.

Fantastic chin. He did win that fight, besides landing like 3 bombs that drugcheat did fuck all.

Its common sense. There are obviously guys out there who are unknowns right now but in a few years will be top 5-10 in the UFC, theres also plenty who will never make the UFC but had the potential to do the same.

Fantastic chin. He did win that fight besides landing like 3 bombs that drugcheat did fuck all.
Just a hater. About as clear-cut a 29-28 as it can get.

He is right. But why is he talking like he was the best fighter in the division? He was Michael Bisping of LW division. He got beat by conor and dustin. Khabib and tony would beat him too. Khabib beat RDA before him and Tony right after him. Eddie was just in the right place at the right time. Just like Bisping in MW.

The UFC has the deepest talent pool, but the top 5 in Bellator and One could definitely hang with their counterparts in the UFC.

It makes no sense with the weight cutting. If you are 170 vs another person who is 170. How are you shorter and less muscular than someone who weighs the same? There obviously is some sort of weight cutting going on.

Back