Eddie Alvarez refutes notion that all the best fighters are competing in UFC: ‘It’s complete crap’

UFC easily has the ~75 of the top 100 fighters in the world. Bellator probably has the 2nd most of the remaining 25, with ONE, Rizin, ACB, PFL and KSW having a few fighters each.

He's wrong in the sense that the UFC is the biggest stage and therefore tends to aggregate a large percentage of the most talented fighters. Then, when they're stuck fighting each other, they can't help but get better. The UFC is full of stars who began their careers elsewhere. But their time in the UFC is when they most often peak.

I was surprised at how the top WEC 155’ers were easily able to hold their own and then some, when the UFC and WEC merged.
The general opinion at the time was that they were 2nd tier.

How many strikeforce guys won the belt in ufc though?

How many pride guys, etc

I would agree with those that say the ufc is the deepest in terms of talent but there are definitely elite fighters outside of it.

Not the best but the top fighters fight in the UFC.

Fact
Pride fighters came in and dominated
WEC champ Ben Hendo became champ
Strikeforce fighters came in and dominated

UFC has the best marketing and overall the best roster, but it doesn’t mean they have all the best fighters

Of course the UFC doesn't have all of the top talent. Seems to me the typical UFC fighter has a more complete game than the typical fighter in other promotions. I especially notice the discrepancy when the fights go to the ground.

Probably true what Eddie says to a degree...but I think he's stretching it a bit. I would bet at least half of the UFC champs are actually the best in the world - that's where the money is, after all (at the champion level anyway, assuming you're a PPV draw).

“I wasn’t a UFC fighter per se but I went there and I won the world title. If I could do it, isn’t it true that anybody from the outside could possibly go there and win the title?”

No, absolutely not. And I can't believe he's devaluing himself like that.

This is known, only the UFC casuals think that narrative.
Lot of UFC schills (not casuals) that day after day repeat this mantra.
And this is not a new thing either.
We used to call them "Zuffa Zombies"

Hmmm we know Eddie... it's just that the majority of the top ones end up in the UFC anyways to really put their skills to the test... like Ben Askren.

70% - 80% or even more of the UFC fighters are very mediocre and often waay to new to the game to be a pro fighter, not to mention being in the UFC and most if not all of them will never be better then mediocre.
Only a handfull are good fighters just like in every other org.

70% - 80% or even more of the UFC fighters are very mediocre and often waay to new to the game to be a pro fighter, not to mention being in the UFC and most if not all of them will never be better then mediocre.
Only a handfull are good fighters just like in every other org.
i agree. funny seeing some people try to scoff off this claim. over 200 fighters on the ufc roster shouldn't be there. plain and simple.

not even half of the roster as is are thought of as "the best in the world".

They may not have all the best fighters in MMA. But the UFC has at least a good 90% of them.

Last edited:
Also, in all fairness... that division is a murderers row in nearly every organizarion (some more than others, all have talented fighters).
Sometimes all that separates the top tier is a bad night or two.

They don't have all of the top fighters but they have most of them. To become champ in the UFC legitimately is the toughest org to do it in.

Alvarez is the best journeyman to win a title

Like fuck dude split decisioned his way to a title shot, won the title in impressive fashion, then got knocked out by a 145er who has not won a fight since.

Back