Eddie Alvarez refutes notion that all the best fighters are competing in UFC: ‘It’s complete crap’

Just a hater. About as clear-cut a 29-28 as it can get.

Mousasi fans: "You're a hater if you think he lost this one close fight that many thought he lost!"

Actually, no. You're just a nuthugger:
4vLRn35m2Xw6.jpg

RDA has a horrible weight cut before the Alvarez fight. I believe he even passed out. Under normal condition, RDA beats Eddie. And don't forget Eddie, that overrated Conor guy made you look like an amateur.

UFC fighters are better overall. But One has zero drug testing and Coker's drug testing at Bellator isn't much better. So that does make up for some of the talent gap. There's a reason Michael Chandler never came to the UFC

Let's look at the data. His own record completely contradicts what he's saying:
Eddie in Bellator: 9-1
Eddie in the UFC: 4-3 (one NC)

I realize he lost a fight in One and is now 35 and could lose more. But he was in his prime in both Bellator and the UFC...he wouldn't have beaten and outlasted Gaethje if he were washed up.

Last edited:
UFC usually has probably 12 of the top 15 in most divisions

“The Underground King” would say something like that.

Not “all” the best fighters are in the UFC, but most of them are.

Bellator WW > UFC WW (as a whole)
Probably also the case with MW
Lol no. Aside from Rory, that failed time and time again to get the belt, and Douglas Lima, there isnt anyone really special in Bellator WW.

Eddie got ectremely lucky agains Rafael and did not manage to defend even once.

I seen a lot of crappy striking in Mauy Thai.. Even when they have 400 matches under their belt..

Seen plenty of holes in their game if they ever do mma, and some do and they get records like 14-8

which is miles below the average contender you'd want in the ufc

“That whole theory is crap that everybody who’s the best is a UFC guy,” Alvarez said when speaking to MMA Fighting. “It’s complete crap because I was the guy who didn’t fight in the UFC. I went there and won the belt. I beat arguably the best lightweight in that history. [Rafael dos Anjos] at the time was killing everyone. Like literally murdering the who’s who. So to go to the UFC, win the belt and be a guy from the outside that never fought there, I’m the guy you’re talking about.

“I wasn’t a UFC fighter per se but I went there and I won the world title. If I could do it, isn’t it true that anybody from the outside could possibly go there and win the title? It’s not arguable. It’s fact. The best fighters in the world, they’re all over and they’re virtually unknown.”

“As a fight fan myself, it’s clear that the level of striking is easily in the favor of ONE Championship. That can’t even be argued,” Alvarez said. “When you watch ONE Championship, and when you watch what goes on in the Muay Thai bouts and even the MMA bouts, the striking is vastly better in ONE Championship.”

ONE Championship has a strict set of rules when it comes to weight cutting for its athletes, which essentially means athletes are competing up a division while still technically fighting at a weight class below. In other words, Alvarez is fighting at 170 pounds, which would mean he’s a welterweight in most promotions but in ONE Championship that makes him a lightweight.

Alvarez has faced that type of adversity in his first two fights where both Nastyukhin and Folayang were visibly bigger than him but he knew that would be a problem on the day he signed with ONE Championship and opted to compete in the lightweight division.

“It’s an adjustment that I agreed to. The guys are bigger. My opponents are bigger but they’ve also been fighting in ONE Championship and made that adjustment for years,” Alvarez explained. “I am just now making that adjustment to fighting at a high grade at 170. I’m not going to come in as the biggest 170-pounder. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. I can sit here and say ‘oh they’re bigger’ or I can focus on the good things like I’ll be more conditioned because they have to move around more weight or I’m faster because they’re more muscular. There are pros and cons.

“Being bigger doesn’t always correspond to being better. I’m a true believer that fights aren’t won in a size discrepancy. Fights are won and lost in the spirit of the two guys inside the cage.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
Sounds like a coping mechanism after being destroyed by Asian cans.

Same can be said for DJ as example, Like him or not he cleaned out his the vast majority of his division then traded to ONE and started having some rough fights. Now in that .... 4 months do you think he suddenly got so much worse that lower fighters were getting the better on him? Or do you think there might actually be some really great skilled fighters overseas. I like to think the latter.

Yeah, he's right.

giphy.gif

Hespect to Mousasi, also holy fuck @ eating that ridiculous punch but he didn't win that fight for example.
moose won the round that happened in. alex only won the 3rd round bud, but i do not disagree with you or eddie about the level of talent.

This is true, but most of the best fighters are in the UFC

That’s true. However people have said ufc has all of the good fighters since the inception of pride.

This is known, only the UFC casuals think that narrative.
The UFC has the strongest league. Of course, there are a few gems in other organizations, the same way that you have rugby players going to the NFL and playing certain positions.

However, the vast majority of the high quality talent is in the bigger and better paid organizations. This can be demonstrated with fight results as evidence.

Conclusions, the UFC doesn't have "all" the best fighters, but they have the most competitive stable of fighters.

I mean how many fighters outside the UFC would you feel comfortable immediately ranking in the UFC?

HW - Bader, maybe Minakov, Sergei and Kongo? I feel Goltsov could be but he'd need to prove it.

LHW - Bader again, possibly Prochaza, Nemkov and Davis?

MW - Lovato Jr, Moose

WW - Rory and Lima, maybe Koreshkov.

LW - Maybe Chandler and Patricky Pitbull?

FW - Patricio Pitbull. Maybe Archuleta and Lance Palmer?

BW - Kai Asakura, Horiguchi, possibly Darrion Caldwell?

FLW - Mouse, Ortiz, Nicolau, Moraga, mostly guys let go during the last flyweight cull.

WBW - Probably noone

WFLW - MacFarlane

WSW - Maybe Xiong Jingnan?

There really aren't that many, there are others with the potential, but they'd need to prove it against that level of comp.

Let's look at the data. His own record completely contradicts what he's saying:
Eddie in Bellator: 9-1
Eddie in the UFC: 4-3 (one NC)

I realize he lost a fight in One and is now 35 and could lose more. But he was in his prime in both Bellator and the UFC...he wouldn't have beaten and outlasted Gaethje if he were washed up.
Lol Augusto Sakai washed out of Bellator and he’s a top ten HW now lol. UFC is Bellator rejects everywhere

He is right. But why is he talking like he was the best fighter in the division? He was Michael Bisping of LW division. He got beat by conor and dustin. Khabib and tony would beat him too. Khabib beat RDA before him and Tony right after him. Eddie was just in the right place at the right time. Just like Bisping in MW.

you're an idiot if you think Alvarez is like Bisping. Dude has wins over Gaethje, RDA, Gilbert Melendez, Anthony Pettis, Michael Chandler, Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Joachim Hansen and was Bellator Champ and UFC Champ and has 38 fights.

Back