Television ECHO (Official Trailer, post #52; Premieres Jan. 10)

Apparently the actor they had playing Iron Fist refused to train in martial arts for the role, which is why the fight scenes were trash. There's only so much you can do with a stuntman.

A non-deaf Native American actress who could play the character as something other than a blubbery, selfish piece of shit would have been a major improvement on what we got. Although the writing for the entire show was so bad, it still would have been a failure.

When Vincent Goddamn D'Onofrio himself can't rescue your show, you know you done fucked up.
I remember watching a scene from the start of Iron Fist where security were dragging him out of a building while he goes "I'm Danny Rand!"... and being legitimately confused. His acting was so bad that I thought he was acting like someone doing bad acting, if that makes sense. I genuinely didn't know how to take the scene.
I'm hoping with time, experience, and a functional plot Alaqua Cox will go on to be a better actress. I definitely think they should focus more on getting experienced actors going forward but... you're spot on: if D'Onofrio couldnt save it then who the fuck could?

I remember watching a scene from the start of Iron Fist where security were dragging him out of a building while he goes "I'm Danny Rand!"... and being legitimately confused. His acting was so bad that I thought he was acting like someone doing bad acting, if that makes sense. I genuinely didn't know how to take the scene.
I'm hoping with time, experience, and a functional plot Alaqua Cox will go on to be a better actress. I definitely think they should focus more on getting experienced actors going forward but... you're spot on: if D'Onofrio couldnt save it then who the fuck could?

I've heard they are going to replace Iron Fist with a female version of the character. As long as the actress has a Full Training Camp, I think that can only be an improvement.

No official conformation from Disney, of course, but the rumour is Echo was supposed to be eight episodes. But the quality was so poor, Disney made huge cuts and dumped the remaining five episodes on D+ just to get it over with.

Disney have never released an entire MCU series at one go. It's always one episode per week. With Echo, it looks like they just wanted to rip the Band-Aid off.

I've heard they are going to replace Iron Fist with a female version of the character. As long as the actress has a Full Training Camp, I think that can only be an improvement.

No official conformation from Disney, of course, but the rumour is Echo was supposed to be eight episodes. But the quality was so poor, Disney made huge cuts and dumped the remaining five episodes on D+ just to get it over with.

Disney have never released an entire MCU series at one go. It's always one episode per week. With Echo, it looks like they just wanted to rip the Band-Aid off.
Yeeeah, that makes sense. It's pretty clear that they just wanted to move on. Whoever wrote it needs to be run out of the industry.

Apparently the actor they had playing Iron Fist refused to train in martial arts for the role, which is why the fight scenes were trash. There's only so much you can do with a stuntman.

A non-deaf Native American actress who could play the character as something other than a blubbery, selfish piece of shit would have been a major improvement on what we got. Although the writing for the entire show was so bad, it still would have been a failure.

When Vincent Goddamn D'Onofrio himself can't rescue your show, you know you done fucked up.
I think it was debunked by some crew member. Like, they hired Iron First actor or informed him about date of the shooting less than a month before it started.

I think it was debunked by some crew member. Like, they hired Iron First actor or informed him about date of the shooting less than a month before it started.

Right. I hadn't heard that.

Finished it. Overall massively under delivered.
The change to her powers just didn’t work for me.

Vincent D’Onofrio delivered as usual. Glad to see they made all the DD Netflix stuff canon though. Keeping the continuity is a big plus, means they won’t be rebooting the characters gives me some hope for the DD show, but then again the absolute crap they have offered so far is a bad sign.

This show is hard to watch while I work, so many subtitles for her. Then if they're gonna rely so heavily on subtitles I wish they would just do subtitles for all signing instead of having other people speak slowly as they sign when there's no one else there that they're talking too. If they're talking to someone else and signing as they talk so she can keep up fine, but there's been multiple scenes in just the first episode where it's just her and one other person and they're still "talking... out.. loud.... for. the... benefit.. of.... no one."
this is actually common practice for ASL.

I've heard the same, and that's just such a tremendous leadership failure it's sad.

They should have canned him 6 months before filming started and recast when he wouldn't train with the stunt unit.

Finished it. Overall massively under delivered.
The change to her powers just didn’t work for me.

Vincent D’Onofrio delivered as usual. Glad to see they made all the DD Netflix stuff canon though. Keeping the continuity is a big plus, means they won’t be rebooting the characters gives me some hope for the DD show, but then again the absolute crap they have offered so far is a bad sign.

The Don always comes to play. :cool: As the late, great Sir Christopher Lee put it,

"An actor should never give a bad performance, even in a bad film".

D'Onofrio elevates everything he appears in, but even he couldn't save this. I wouldn't be surprised if someone uploads a fan edit to YouTube that is just Fisk's scenes. It would be more fun to watch than the actual series.

Exactly. And some of it seems so obvious. The production tried really hard in certain areas, and i'm immensely grateful for it, but i'm not going to pretend it's a great show. Valuable for me, but... I mean, come on.

EXACTLY. Buddy, it's like we are connected at the mind. I actually paused the show and was like uhhhhhh.... ok, so she's just a fucking total sack of shit? I was so confused! This lady isn't coming across as a warrior, she's coming across as a fucking douche nozzle. Why the fuck write it like that? What were they even doing? Were they trying to somehow imply that she didn't know it happened because it was around the corner or some shit? That would be so stupid.
It was pretty obvious she was a self-centered character when the scene where she hit the woodpecker with the sling shot just to see if she could hurt it . . .

It was pretty obvious she was a self-centered character when the scene where she hit the woodpecker with the sling shot just to see if she could hurt it . . .

They should change her superhero name from, "Echo" to, "Captain Dances With Woodpeckers".

this is actually common practice for ASL.
If you say so, my next door neighbor is deaf and his wife has never spoken words when she signs for him, like if he missed what someone else said.

The positive impressions early on in this thread got me thinking wow I might actually give this one a shot even though it looks like shit. The fandom menace youtubers were calling it shit, but those guys are really cynical anyways.

But looks like they were right again. As much as people like to say that they just want to hate everything, they gladly took the L after House of the Dragon came out and gave it glowing reviews. This was after all of them spent months trashing it.

If you say so, my next door neighbor is deaf and his wife has never spoken words when she signs for him, like if he missed what someone else said.
has he been deaf his whole life and/or has she been signing since a young age? reasons why signers who are not deaf will typically speak or mouth what they are signing are twofold: 1. some deaf people can either lip read or are hard of hearing, so can make out some sounds, and 2. some signers have an easier time signing when they can mentally correlate speech to sign

even deaf people will sometimes speak simultaneous to signing, if able.

It is called SimCom and happens all the time. My son is deaf and both my ex and I speak a lot when signing.
thank you. i knew it had a name but couldn’t remember what it was called. i suppose “simultaneous communication” should’ve been pretty obvious, in hindsight lol

Ugh don't remind me

Reminded me of the Family Guy version of A New Hope,

Luke(Chris)"Well, guess I'll go bullseye some Womp Rats in my Landspeeder".

C-3PO(Quagmire)"You kill animals for fun? That's the first sign of a Serial Killer, you freak!"

Luke, "There are two suns and no women! What the hell else am I supposed to do!"

Isn't it better to just shelve it and write it off than do that? Like DC did with Batgirl and whatever else

has he been deaf his whole life and/or has she been signing since a young age? reasons why signers who are not deaf will typically speak or mouth what they are signing are twofold: 1. some deaf people can either lip read or are hard of hearing, so can make out some sounds, and 2. some signers have an easier time signing when they can mentally correlate speech to sign

even deaf people will sometimes speak simultaneous to signing, if able.
I think he's been deaf his whole life. Anyway I guess I will retract that complaint, I still found it annoying but I can't blame them if it's accurate

Back