Drysdale vs Bravo style Rubber Guard

This has gone so far off topic. Who cares who invented it. All one should care about is pragmatics: whether the RG works, when it works best, and how best to submit or neutralize people with it. Screw all this BJJ politics. BJJ is a sport. It may even be a way of life for some, but it isn't a religion.

blasphemy

eddie already said he's doing it wrong. take it from the guy who created it.

:redface: Uh, I'll let someone else point out that Eddie didn't create it and instead focus on the point that Drysdale is a pretty damn good grappler in his own right. Like most of today's top grapplers he transitions back and forth to a range of guard styles depending on the circumstances. Most mortals can't just focus on the half guard & RG and then win the ADCC absolute, which reminds me neither could Eddie.. :D

Roberto's accomplishments:

2007 (Black Belt)
1st place in the Abu-Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships - Open Division (ADCC)
3rd place in the Abu-Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships - -99kg Division (ADCC)
2nd place in the BJJ World Championships (IBJJF/CBJJ)
3rd place in the BJJ World Championships - Open Division (IBJJF/CBJJ)

2006 (Black Belt)
1st place in the BJJ Black Belt World Championship (CBJJO)
2nd place in the BJJ World Championships (IBJJF/CBJJ)
3x times Brazilian National equips Champion (IBJJF/CBJJ)

2005 (Black/Belt)
3x times BJJ World Champion (IBJJF/CBJJ)
1st place Black Belt World Championships (CBJJO)

2004 (Brown/Black Belt)
2x National Brazilian National Champion (IBJJF/CBJJ)
1st place in the Brazilian National Championship open division (IBJJF/CBJJ)
3rd place World Championship (IBJJf/CBJJ)
1st place in the Scandinavian open
1st place in the Scandinavian open absolute division

2003 (Brown Belt)
1st place in the BandSports Challenge
2x times Brazilian National equips Champion (IBJJF/CBJJ)
2x times World Champion (IBJJF/CBJJ)
World Cup Champion (CBJJO)
National Brazilian Champion (IBJJF/CBJJ)
Brazilian Cup Champion (CBJJO)

Eddie's accomplishments:

third place adcc 2003 -66

^ that plus beat Marcelo in the last ADCC, and every time i hear Eddie Bravo talk about Marcelo i thought he wanted to marry the guy

^^ shame eddie never competed more would be interesting to see what could have happened

Guys were using rubber guard in Brazil 20 years ago. Bravo just made it a "system" and named the movements and packaged them with bad music.

lets not go there. If we really wanted to go to the root of modern BJJ as we know it, we can call it modified Judo. Guys were practicing "BJJ" techs 100 years ago.

:redface: Uh, I'll let someone else point out that Eddie didn't create it and instead focus on the point that Drysdale is a pretty damn good grappler in his own right. Like most of today's top grapplers he transitions back and forth to a range of guard styles depending on the circumstances. Most mortals can't just focus on the half guard & RG and then win the ADCC absolute, which reminds me neither could Eddie.. :D

eddie incorporates butterfly guard also and insists, going from rg to butterfly and hg are very important in mastering the system. if eddie says someone is doing his shit wrong , he's doing his shit wrong.

eddie incorporates butterfly guard also and insists, going from rg to butterfly and hg are very important in mastering the system. if eddie says someone is doing his shit wrong , he's doing his shit wrong.

"different" doesn't mean "wrong"

Reminds me of the last Dream fight when Bas stated Jacare's technique for foot locks is wrong. Love Bas too but the grappling resumes just aren't on the same planet nor the 10th. :icon_chee

Bas knows fucking foot locks, man. El Guapo's ground game is way underrated. He's said it himself.

I remember Bas saying that the straight ankle lock was just a pain hold and wouldn't damage your ankle, so I kinda doubt his knowledge of footlocks.

But anyway the whole discussion is kind of pointless, because no matter your grappling credentials, you might apply a technique the wrong way when you are in the middle of a fight, and your high-level oponent is actively trying to defend the move.

I own both instructional DVD's Bravo and Drysdale. I have actually spent months studying them both thouroughly (Yes, actually taking notes, watching the DVDs countless times, drilling the moves and incorporating them into my game) and I must say that both offered me extremely helpful tips for my ground game.

My background as an elite competitive gymnast allowed me to take to rubber guard like a duck to water. If I were to contrast Drysdale's Rubber Guard vs. Bravo's, I must say that Eddie is a lot more parsimonious about his approach and he teaches each one of the movements in the sequence. If anyone takes the time to study it meticulously, it is actually extremely insightful and cool. Drysdale on the other hand takes the so-called "boring" details out of the equation and he teaches you many techniques that work efficiently from the rubber guard. For instance, Bravo will teach to go from Mission Control to Retard Control, then from there you might go to Crackhead Control. From there Bravo suggests you should always first clear the head with the arm opposite from the leg that's controlling the opponent to transition into omoplata, gogoplata, or spiderweb. Drysdale throws all that step by step approach away and he teaches that one can clear the head directly without even going through those steps. Bravo would tell you that when one does that, the success rate for transitioning to another move or submission decreases a lot.

That being said, I have learned so much from both instructionals that I now see Drysdale's approach to the rubber guard as an important evolution of bjj. In fact I had a very interesting anecdote that involved the rubber guard. When I started taking private lessons with Soca Freitas, he was evaluating my guard, etc. He was passing every one of my guards (closed, butterfly, half) like nothing. Then I figured I would throw in the rubber guard for good measure. He absolutely was not expecting me to do it and he was laughing because I used Eddie Bravo's set up to Mission Control and then from there I used a Drysdale technique and sunk in a reverse triangle from rubber guard. He thought I was setting up a regular triangle but in fact the reverse triangle worked beautifully and Soca gave me his usual "Nice!!!!". :)

I own both instructional DVD's Bravo and Drysdale. I have actually spent months studying them both thouroughly (Yes, actually taking notes, watching the DVDs countless times, drilling the moves and incorporating them into my game) and I must say that both offered me extremely helpful tips for my ground game.

My background as an elite competitive gymnast allowed me to take to rubber guard like a duck to water. If I were to contrast Drysdale's Rubber Guard vs. Bravo's, I must say that Eddie is a lot more parsimonious about his approach and he teaches each one of the movements in the sequence. If anyone takes the time to study it meticulously, it is actually extremely insightful and cool. Drysdale on the other hand takes the so-called "boring" details out of the equation and he teaches you many techniques that work efficiently from the rubber guard. For instance, Bravo will teach to go from Mission Control to Retard Control, then from there you might go to Crackhead Control. From there Bravo suggests you should always first clear the head with the arm opposite from the leg that's controlling the opponent to transition into omoplata, gogoplata, or spiderweb. Drysdale throws all that step by step approach away and he teaches that one can clear the head directly without even going through those steps. Bravo would tell you that when one does that, the success rate for transitioning to another move or submission decreases a lot.

That being said, I have learned so much from both instructionals that I now see Drysdale's approach to the rubber guard as an important evolution of bjj. In fact I had a very interesting anecdote that involved the rubber guard. When I started taking private lessons with Soca Freitas, he was evaluating my guard, etc. He was passing every one of my guards (closed, butterfly, half) like nothing. Then I figured I would throw in the rubber guard for good measure. He absolutely was not expecting me to do it and he was laughing because I used Eddie Bravo's set up to Mission Control and then from there I used a Drysdale technique and sunk in a reverse triangle from rubber guard. He thought I was setting up a regular triangle but in fact the reverse triangle worked beautifully and Soca gave me his usual "Nice!!!!". :)

Good stuff. Nice post.

In fact I had a very interesting anecdote that involved the rubber guard. When I started taking private lessons with Soca Freitas, he was evaluating my guard, etc. He was passing every one of my guards (closed, butterfly, half) like nothing. Then I figured I would throw in the rubber guard for good measure. He absolutely was not expecting me to do it and he was laughing because I used Eddie Bravo's set up to Mission Control and then from there I used a Drysdale technique and sunk in a reverse triangle from rubber guard. He thought I was setting up a regular triangle but in fact the reverse triangle worked beautifully and Soca gave me his usual "Nice!!!!". :)

It's very interesting to hear people's take on all different sorts of guards. I'm starting to see from all the threads that guard fighting is starting to undergo its own "MMA evolution", where one can train the "best pieces" of each guard system and incorporate it into a streamlined "mixed guard" system that works for them.

Personally, I feel that with such a wealth of information out there to absorb, one would be a fool to totally shun out merit from one specific system due to the politics. I've found that every guard system has its merits and functionality - each tool can perform well in certain situations. Look at it this way - if you study a "hated system"'s offensive game and become semi-proficient at it, you will become THAT much better at the defense against it since you will have a much better idea of what is coming at you.

To the poster above whom I quoted, great anecdote! Keep on training!

I like Drysdale's take on the rubber guard because it takes a more realistic approach to getting into rubber guard imo.

Bravo's whole breakdown to rubber guard to rubber guard subs and variations is great in theory but it's going to be tough to actually catch someone in it you know?

Drysdale teaches the rubber guard the way most things in BJJ are taught, as something to use if/when the position shows itself. Bravo tries to force opponents into rubber guard, Drysdale's philosophy is to let his opponents fall into rubber guard, rather than try to force them into it.

Back