Drysdale vs Bravo style Rubber Guard

apparently you've missed the last few shinya aoki fights.

yea Aoki is certainly the exception to a lot of rules!
I was talking in general...I know when I play RG its a boring roll! I almost feel bad for my team mates that have to deal with me practicing it.

Edit: Oops

According to Eddie Bravo, there are a lot of holes in rubber guard instructional disc that Drysdale put out. I don't have the article but he made a very long post about it. Like most Brazilians, Drysdale has a problem with Eddie, mainly because they misunderstand him when he makes the claim to his own system of jiu jitsu.

In any case, IMO Drysdale's Rubber guard stuff is mainly to fill a disc in a set. The guy never uses this stuff in competition, or not that I've seen effectively.

Eddie Bravo's set are a vastly more complete look on the rubber guard system.

Einstein was getting the shit kicked out of him before he sunk that triangle in. So much for the rubber guard helping you to avoid getting hit.

Like most Brazilians, Drysdale has a problem with Eddie, mainly because they misunderstand him when he makes the claim to his own system of jiu jitsu.

Drysdale isn't Brazilian.

I see what you think he said there, but I think the wording was just akward.

For instance, I know a vietnamese guy. He likes rice. His whole family does, you might call it a stereotype.

However I also know this african guy. Like most vietnamese guys, he loves rice.

I'm not implying that he's vietnamese, but that he loves rice. To be fair I thought the same thing when I read it, not knowing drysdale's nationality. I didn't click with what he was saying until you clarified.

edit: after a quick wiki hunt, I guess his nationality depends on your perspective. Technically he's american.

does Drysdale have music videos and other clips showing how cool he is or is it just a bunch of jiu-jitsu?

Watching the instructionals in comparison, Drysdale doesn't hug the knee, squeeze his knees or try post on the hip/keep his leg hooked over the guy in guard's back. He seems to have a loose rubber guard, if that's possible. He focuses on head control but getting the hugging the knee, squeezing them to keep them from posturing up or working for the zombie overhook. Even with the looser approach he does seem to go back to repeating about them pulling out their arms which suggests his looser approach might be to try bait them into a mistake or making distance so butterfly guard and sweep opportunities become available.

i really enjoyed the way drysdale explained the rubber guard, and i highly recommend buying his dvds

eddie already said he's doing it wrong. take it from the guy who created it.

This raises another question I'm unsure about. Did Bravo actually invent RG or did he just take it and bring it to a new expanded level as an entire guard system?

eddie already said he's doing it wrong. take it from the guy who created it.

This raises another question I'm unsure about. Did Bravo actually invent RG or did he just take it and bring it to a new expanded level as an entire guard system?

Guys were using rubber guard in Brazil 20 years ago. Bravo just made it a "system" and named the movements and packaged them with bad music.

This has gone so far off topic. Who cares who invented it. All one should care about is pragmatics: whether the RG works, when it works best, and how best to submit or neutralize people with it. Screw all this BJJ politics. BJJ is a sport. It may even be a way of life for some, but it isn't a religion.

Rubberguard is cool and all that but is boring as FUCK in MMA! Did anyone see Einsteins fight on the Tapout show? It was a fucking snnoze-fest! Breaking someone down and stalling until they move is boring as hell!

Eddie is the man though....I like his style for BJJ but not MMA

Einstein is a sorry mma fighter, he's got no stand up and he doesn't apply his jits to mma well. But if you want to see someone who applies rubber guard jits well to mma look at shinya aoki.

Back