Drysdale vs Bravo style Rubber Guard

Kyuktooki

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How many people have noticed that Drysdale teaches a slightly different version of the Rubber Guard in his Nth Dimensional Jiu Jitsu instructional. I find the way he explains clearer and more concise than the way Bravo explains it but the real difference seems to be in how he approaches it, especially in setting it up. The little details he adds actually make it a lot easier for me to get into rubber guard. He also seems to approach several of the submissions differently than Bravo, although mostly just in the details. Somehow I am just finding that the stuff that perhaps didn't click when watching Bravo's instructional makes more sense the way Drysdale approaches it. I think Drysdale's version is somehow simpler and its not just the fact that he doesn't use all sorts of weird terminology. Anyhow, the fact that a top BJJ competitor like Drysdale not only uses but teaches how to use the rubber guard ought to shut up at least some of the Bravo haters. I am not the biggest fan but I think people should recognize that Bravo developed a nice little niche game plan that is worth adding to ones repertoire, especially if you plan to do MMA.

Rubberguard is cool and all that but is boring as FUCK in MMA! Did anyone see Einsteins fight on the Tapout show? It was a fucking snnoze-fest! Breaking someone down and stalling until they move is boring as hell!

Eddie is the man though....I like his style for BJJ but not MMA

I have never seen tapout but from what I have heard the guys they search out on that show are unknown to something like 95% of all MMA Fans, hence why they need the kind of support and exposure TAPOUT gives them.
I hate it when people stall in any kind of guard. Rubber Guard was designed to be a place to attack from, even strike from. Dustin Hazlett and Shinya Aoki are pretty exciting from this position. Sure it is also a great way to break down your opponent's posture so they can't hit you very hard but how is stalling from there any different from stalling in any other position.
This also has nothing to do with the difference between the way Drysdale and Bravo teach the rubber guard. I haven't seen a lot of footage of Drysdale fighting outside of the ADCC but it doesn't seem like Rubber Guard is a go-to move for him. I think he only does it if he finds himself in the right place. Bravo, on the other hand, is all about getting his opponent into his half guard or rubber guard.

yeah all this mission control to crack head is confusing

i also thought that drysdale was much clearer in explaing the rubber guard

Einstein used his rubber guard to go for a triangle and nothing else. Maybe he was nervous because he was on the show. But definitely not a great example of what the rubber guard can do.

The most obvious difference to me is that while Bravo uses the rubber guard as an entire guard system that you can stay in for a period of time, switching between the difference variations, Drysdale's seems to be more focused on moving quickly into, and then out of the guard into a sweep or submission. Drysdale's almost seems like more of a transition.

Does anyone have a link or something to Drysdale explaining RG in his way? I'm curious to see how it differs.

Does anyone have a link or something to Drysdale explaining RG in his way? I'm curious to see how it differs.

He's got a dvd series out nth dimension something or other. Eddie's RG is way more in depth and has a package of techniques surrounding it.

A short bit of it is posted on youtube. I just googled "Nth Dimension Jiu Jitsu" and found that its posted on almost every open torrent tracker. If you can afford to buy it then download it because a short clip isn't going to be enough to get a sense of the differences. The interesting thing about his instructional series was that the majority of the moves were unorthodox to some degree or another.

He's got a dvd series out nth dimension something or other. Eddie's RG is way more in depth and has a package of techniques surrounding it.

Drysdale only has one disk dealing with the rubber guard. I get the impression that these are the moves in the rubber guard that work best for him. I would agree that its not as detailed as Bravo's instructional but I found his different approach to it helped me understand the rubber guard a lot better. I feel there is more to Drysdale's style of rubber guard than just using less exotic terminology.
If one was looking purely to learn rubber guard I would probably still go with Bravo although there is a lot of great stuff in Drysdale's instructional.

rubberguard is cool but not worth the hype its getting. If you know how to counter it properly its a free guard pass.

Rubberguard is cool and all that but is boring as FUCK in MMA! Did anyone see Einsteins fight on the Tapout show? It was a fucking snnoze-fest! Breaking someone down and stalling until they move is boring as hell!

Eddie is the man though....I like his style for BJJ but not MMA

Hah! I also saw that and i pretty much agree. Rubberguard can be really effective and exciting if used always. Fluidity is pretty much the name of anyones rubber guard game.

Drysdale>Bravo

Rubber guard has its place and has some good aspects but its not an end all position.
Essentially the "zombie" is what makes the position as well as keeping your opponents posture broken down. For me the Rguard takes to much energy and stress to make work and stay tight. I like to play a very loose wide open game which causes the opponent to make a lot of mistakes.. But thats just me. I know guys who play rubber guard and make it work for them.. For me though its to isolated and to many small movements.

I give it to Eddie Bravo for having a very broken down step by step set of insturctions to go through on the Rubber Guard. His crazy names kind of make it fun, but also confusing for anyone who doesnt train with him. Rubber guard is for some people, and not for others..

I like big motions with archs, w/ big sweeps that are fun to play. I like the type of game that is played by Roleta, Pe De Pano, Galvao... Nino Shembri as well.. though he was using some thing very similar to the rubber guard.. he also has a crazy game with a lot of motion.

overall i prefer drysdale type of game for myself, ie using rubber guard if the position is right, but not basing my whole game around it.

having said that i think rubberguard gets a bad wrap especially in mma as a lot of guys just dont really know it properly, they just grab the legs the wrong way and doing nothing with it.

compare that to hazlett and aoki who know it in depth and have the rigth kind of body for it and its easy to see how it has a bad name sometimes.

i like the Drysdale way.. it was easy to listen too

eclipse said:
i could beat robert drysdale

DISCLAIMER: The above statement is merely my opinion and may not represent the truth or proper scientific fact.

taken in its entirety that is a funny post.

Back