Dropping your cellphone.

Funny to see this today. I have a Motorola Razr M in a silicone case and last night it fell out of my pocket at a minor league baseball game while seated. It slipped through a space in the stands and probably dropped 20 ft or so and I thought it was going to be toast. However, I spoke to an usher and they brought it back to me without a scratch on it.

Wtf? I have a 10 dollar silicone case and i drop mine all the time, even from like 5 feet off the ground getting out my truck. Never so much as a scratch. Even dropped it right on its face onto concrete.

How does a silicone case protect from impact damage? Was always curious how cell phone case provide any protection while looking like just decorative outer soft shells.

If I had a iPhone 5S + $70 extra, I'd like this Metal Gear iDroid case. Don't know if it's good for protection, but looks cool.

iDroid-iPhone-Case1.jpg

Sounds like some of you need Dockers Mobile Pants w/hidden zipper pocket for your phone.

mobiledockers.jpg

My HTC was thrown over 20feet through the air and bounced off the concrete with only minor scratches on the corner. No case.

Amazing phone, still works brilliantly.

Ironically, I use a dumb phone because I'm so hard on them and drop it often. I have to argue with the kid at the cell phone store every few years that all I want is a god damn flip phone.

It's pretty addictive, once you've had a smartphone. I've found lots of uses for the phone that would be hard to go without.

I wish more manufacturers would allow a wrist strap to be attached, such as on the Lumia 1020. Still, I have a case to protect my investment. When it comes time to sell the phone, the phone's value is retained as phones with cracks, scratches or other damage just aren't worth as much.

Otherwse, as someone suggested, get an indestructible Nokia 3310.

Dropped my iPad while drunk one night. Has some cracks on the screen. Luckily Sherdog has dark colours so I don't notice them while on here.

I thought Apple stuff was supposed to have Corning's Gorilla Glass which was supposed to be super strong and light and scratch resistant?

You've obviously never dropped your phone in liquid.

Oh, I see. Rice to dry it out. Got it. I thought it was a joke of some sort, like the old thing of making cases out of buttered toast facing outwards so they have no choice but to levitate.

It's pretty addictive, once you've had a smartphone. I've found lots of uses for the phone that would be hard to go without.

30 bucks a month cheaper for a dumb phone, so I've done my best not to develops a taste for them, lol.

I thought Apple stuff was supposed to have Corning's Gorilla Glass which was supposed to be super strong and light and scratch resistant?

I don't know, but it was a decent impact that cracked it. I dropped it about 4 feet on to a concrete floor. There was no protection and it landed right on the corner. The crack spread from there.

Oh, I see. Rice to dry it out. Got it. I thought it was a joke of some sort, like the old thing of making cases out of buttered toast facing outwards so they have no choice but to levitate.

Well it was a joke...

But if a case was made from rice you would be crash and waterproof.

1. even a cheap phone case should solve your problem

2. how/why do people even drop their phones. I don't think I've dropped a phone in like 10 years.

Some people do work that requires them to get into positions where phones will fall or get crushed. Some people are active and their phones fall. Some people are just plain careless.

I have sony xperia and I drop it like once a week. I've had it for almost a year and a half and still no serious damage was done. It does have a lot of scratches and the case is fucked up, but I don't think i was ever close to shattering the screen or fucking up the phone completely.

I've dropped my S4 ~8 times in the last fortnight.

Got an Otter case.

I hate that it's chunky.

I don't even have a case for my HTC. I bought it in July of last year and haven't dropped it once.

Of course now that I say this, I'll drop it tomorrow.

I've dropped my S4 and thrown it several times when it was acting up, not a scratch on it... Chinese knock off otter boxes ftw. My wife knocked hers off the sink with the cord of her hair dryer and the screen hit perfect on the corner of the bathroom scale, 100$ mistake.

Why don't you invest $60 on one of those LifeProof cases? It's bulky sure, however that shit is legit as it gets.

I work at best buy and I got the grandfathered in two year protection plan last June (Don't pay a deductible) and I'm glad I have it. I got the Galaxy S4 and ended up getting the Otterbox Defender case. Luckily I haven't dropped the phone yet but I know if I do I am at least pretty safe with the case. The defender is probably the best case out now for protecting your phone if you drop it. It also is pretty decent at stopping water spillage.

Anyone who buys a phone or tablet and doesn't at least get some form of protection are a bunch of morons. Also if you don't buy a protection plan, have fun trying to get a brand new/refurbished device if you end up causing physical damage to the device within the one year manufacturers warranty

Back