Dropping your cellphone.

LOL, I remember when I recommended the Galaxy S3 to one of my closest friends, I rode him hard for a week with, "Where's your protector case? Why haven't you bought a protector case? You need a protector case. Get a protector case." I wanted to change his alarm to "get a protector case." Well, he didn't. It was an amazing phone for a year and a half. Then he dropped it in the toilet, and also in the river. It's outside the 1-year warranty, and additionally, when he still tried to collect on insurance, it turns out there is a water sensor in the phone which had been triggered. The thing is haywire, now. It shuts off randomly. Sometimes it becomes unresponsive for up to nearly 90 seconds.

So the past month he's been all anti-Android bitching about "Apple just works". Recently I went with him when he bought the iPad Air for work, and tricked it out for him. Anyway, the mantra is really beginning to irritate me. He'd not even had the goddamn thing for two days before he starts telling me, "The thing about Apple's stuff is that it just works." I lit into him. I was like, "You were just as enthusiastic and gushing over the Galaxy until you dropped it in a toilet and it went screwloose. I told your dumbass to get a Seidio case to waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof it. Did you listen? No. The Galaxy didn't drop itself in the toilet or the river. You've done both."

I wish it were broken outright, but it isn't, so he doesn't pay to get it fixed, and he doesn't replace it. Instead he uses a shitty, unreliable product, and he blames that on Samsung rather than blaming himself for the poor decisions. He won't admit, but I know he knows it's true. Yet he lets whatever is stressing him out in his daily life form his opinions based on his emotional reaction to the perceived nature of that stress. It's exceptionally frustrating.

He do I know he realized he fucked up? He shelled out $130 on location at the Best Buy for an iPad Lifeproof Case to waterproof it.

My friend gave me an Otterbox he wasn't using. At first i despised it. It's still annoying, but i like knowing my phone is pristine beneath all that cumbersome plastic and rubber. Also i've dropped it while jogging a few times and never had to worry.

Cliff Notes: don't be a dipshit who carries around a $500-$700 piece of hardware without a proper case to protect it from physical damage, and without insurance to protect yourself from theft. Also, extending warranties on electronics is normally a plunder for the electronic salesmen, but for phones, the standard warranty is only 1-year, so it's actually not a terrible idea to pay to extend the warranty to at least 2-years since that's how long most keep their phones.

To all those who care more about the device being sleek, okay, but don't bitch when you drop it and it breaks. You knowingly forewent a sensible precaution. Consider that a phone will appear decidedly less chic with the broken windshield look after you drop it on one of its corners.

Cliff Notes: don't be a dipshit who carries around a $500-$700 piece of hardware without a proper case to protect it from physical damage, and without insurance to protect yourself from theft. Also, extending warranties on electronics is normally a plunder for the electronic salesmen, but for phones, the standard warranty is only 1-year, so it's actually not a terrible idea to pay to extend the warranty to at least 2-years since that's how long most keep their phones.

To all those who care more about the device being sleek, okay, but don't bitch when you drop it and it breaks. You knowingly forewent a sensible precaution. Consider that a phone will appear decidedly less chic with the broken windshield look after you drop it on one of its corners.

I have a really good case... but it still broke. I'm still just sitting here trying to figure out what happened.

I've dropped my phone before at higher elevation but this one happened to be 1 foot off the ground from my ikea couch and it broke.

I swear I'm sitting here wondering still how that came to be

Do you even company phone bro?

Why do we live in a world where cell phones cost over 500$ but is fragile enough to break if it falls any higher than 1 foot off the ground? (even with a case you're still not safe)

I'm not old timer or anything, I'm only 25.

It's a computer that fits in the palm of your hand. It sends and receives signals to and from outerfuckingspace in fractions of seconds to small to be fully comprehended by the human brain.

Cut it some slack, jack.

My first cell phone fell out of the pocket on my sweater into the toilet. Thankfully just clean water but the sound got fucked for like a month and I couldn't hear other people, had to text. It was a shitty flip phone, but it did eventually start working fully again. By then my contract was up and I was getting a new phone though anyway. That thing was Noka tier tough though..

1. even a cheap phone case should solve your problem

2. how/why do people even drop their phones. I don't think I've dropped a phone in like 10 years.

It's a computer that fits in the palm of your hand. It sends and receives signals to and from outerfuckingspace in fractions of seconds to small to be fully comprehended by the human brain.

Cut it some slack, jack.

Does it? It talks to base stations that are located here on earth. Those are presumably connected to a backbone - maybe copper, maybe fibre. Right? Where does the outerfuckingspace come in. I really think Louis got this one wrong. No space, no slack, dammit.

If this was a satellite phone, then I'd probably be inclined to agree. Of course, those things are sturdy as all getout, so where does that leave us?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is the way to go. Left mine on top of my car like a dumbshit and pulled onto a highway. Heard it slide off....it got run over by about 50 cars before I managed to retrieve it and the fucking thing was still in one piece and on when I picked it up...screen was fucked up good, but still functional. Insurance (minus deductible) covered the replacement.

Good to know I dropped mine for the first two times last night. Its in an otterbox but i was still worried. If this phone breaks i would be in shambles. Such a good phone.

Does it? It talks to base stations that are located here on earth. Those are presumably connected to a backbone - maybe copper, maybe fibre. Right? Where does the outerfuckingspace come in. I really think Louis got this one wrong. No space, no slack, dammit.

There's no satellite triangulation? Everything 90s action movies taught me was a lie

I have a really good case... but it still broke. I'm still just sitting here trying to figure out what happened.

I've dropped my phone before at higher elevation but this one happened to be 1 foot off the ground from my ikea couch and it broke.

I swear I'm sitting here wondering still how that came to be
No, you do not have a "nice case" if it broke from that elevation. You have a glorified screen protector designed to keep the shell from collecting unattractive scuffs. The reality of the situation, as you're rudely discovering today, is that you were duped into putting an ugly and bulky Christmas sweater on your phone that was only there to keep your phone pretty...which everyone would be able to see if it weren't, ironically, under that same hideous sweater. Yeah. Hurts to realize that you've been a sucker, so I'm sure you'll remember this.

The keyword to know is "rugged". This is usually the term used to apply to cases like the Otterbox, Seidio, or Lifeproof. The "Defender Series" cases are the most rugged made by Otterbox. Ballistic and Urban Armor are two more top brands carrying rugged case lines. You're looking for something that adds shock resistance to the phone (usually guarantee protection from drops starting at 1m, but usually not much higher than 2m). These cases also sometimes offer dust and water resistance or proofing. That's where IP code tells you what's up. The grail for rugged certifications is the MIL-STD-810 certification, and "G" is the latest and greatest of that.

Here are cases worth owning for your phone:
LG G2 > Otterbox Defender ($48 @ Amazon)
LG G2 > Ballistic Tough Jacket* ($24 @ Amazon)
*Tough Jacket Maxx is $50 and only available directly from Ballstic. This includes the outer shell which covers the screen face and also has a belt holster. I think most would elect not to get this, anyway, which is why just the inner shell, or the "Tough Maxx", is available for purchase at Amazon, but I linked the Maxx version from the retailer.
Note that the Verizon version of the G2 is compatible with a different class of cases than the international and other carrier versions of the G2 due to differing placement of some ports. Be aware. Otterbox is available for either version of the G2. So is the Ballastic case, but the "Maxx" version I mentioned is only available to non-Verizon versions.

And that's really it for the G2. The accessory market gets much and much skinnier the farther you wander away from Samsung and Apple. Seidio makes a case, but not a truly "rugged" case, for the G2. Spigen makes some of the most sturdy "slim" armored cases I've personally handled, IMO, but they also don't qualify as truly "rugged" cases. Don't waste your time at carrier stores. They sell you crappy $5 cases for $50. Typically they don't even stock anything worth encasing your phone in. Same goes for Best Buy. They have Lifeproof stuff for iPhones/iPads, but that's it. The only cases worth owning you have to seek out online.

Last edited:
Cell phone manufacturers have figured out that they can sell a lot more phones if they make them breakable. I put an Otterbox on my Motorola Razr and it looks brand new after 2 years but it did make using it more difficult. I just switched carriers and got simple $30 phones without a data plan but they came with a lanyard that you wear around your neck if you or connect to a belt loop. It keeps the phone from hitting the ground and makes it easier to grab quickly.

There's no satellite triangulation? Everything 90s action movies taught me was a lie

Of course! GPS! They definitely receive signals from outerfuckingspace.

Lucky, or your world might have shattered like a dropped smartphone screen.

No, you do not have a "nice case" if it broke from that elevation. You have a glorified screen protector designed to keep the shell from collecting unattractive scuffs. The reality of the situation, as you're rudely discovering today, is that you were duped into putting an ugly and bulky Christmas sweater on your phone that was only there to keep your phone pretty...which everyone would be able to see if it weren't, ironically, under that same hideous sweater. Yeah. Hurts to realize that you've been a sucker, so I'm sure you'll remember this.

The keyword to know is "rugged". This is usually the term used to apply to cases like the Otterbox, Seidio, or Lifeproof. The "Defender Series" cases are the most rugged made by Otterbox. Ballistic and Urban Armor are two more top brands carrying rugged case lines. You're looking for something that adds shock resistance to the phone (usually guarantee protection from drops starting at 1m, but usually not much higher than 2m). These cases also sometimes offer dust and water resistance or proofing. That's where IP code tells you what's up. The grail for rugged certifications is the MIL-STD-810 certification, and "G" is the latest and greatest of that.

Here are cases worth owning for your phone:
LG G2 > Otterbox Defender ($48@Amazon)[/URL]
LG G2 > Ballistic Tough Jackett* ($24@Amazon)
*Tough Jacket Maxx is $50 and only available directly from Ballstic. This includes the outer shell which covers the screen face and also has a belt holster. I think most would elect not to get this, anyway, which is why just the inner shell, or the "Tough Maxx", is available for purchase at Amazon, but I linked the Maxx version from the retailer.
Note that the Verizon version of the G2 has different cases than the international and other carrier versions due to differing placement of some ports. Be aware. Otterbox is available for either version of the G2. So is the Ballastic case, but the "Maxx" version I mentioned is only available to non-Verizon versions.

And that's really it for the G2. Seidio makes a case, but not a true "rugged" case, for the G2. Spigen makes some of the most sturdy "slim" armored cases I've personally handled, IMO, but they also don't qualify as truly "rugged" cases. Don't waste your time at carrier stores. They sell you crappy $5 cases for $50. Typically they don't even stock anything worth encasing your phone in. Same goes for Best Buy. They have Lifeproof stuff for iPhones/iPads, but that's it. The only cases worth owning you have to seek out online.

Thank you for this literature. Will take into consideration everything here

Of course! GPS! They definitely receive signals from outerfuckingspace.

Lucky, or your world might have shattered like a dropped smartphone screen.

Ironically, I use a dumb phone because I'm so hard on them and drop it often. I have to argue with the kid at the cell phone store every few years that all I want is a god damn flip phone.

Back