Driving for powerlifters

I have no idea how to drive stick, I've never even tried. My friend used to drive a Dodge Dart that was stick and fucked up the engine or tranny or whatever so many times he spent as much fixing the thing as he did buying it.

*Loses respect for Fenn*

Men are required to be able to drive stick. You should also know the basics of mechanical workings of a car.

I learned how to drive in a manual. But I'm way too lazy to shift and only buy automatics.

I drive stick. My squats havent affected my ability to do so...

Of course I drive a stick, and it's about time that you learned :wink:

Yes, after you work legs it sometimes hurts, but you suck it up.

/thread.

Pfffft, you americans and your girly autoshifted cars.

Just lol at you Hillbillies not being able to drive stick.

You can learn how to drive a manual in a few hours, assuming you have even a smallish amount of coordination.

The only draw back to manual transmissions is that it makes stop-and-go traffic that much more annoying.

Thats so weird that people dont know how to use a stick...
Our women are great with the stick, too. I think it's the only real non-related activity with a real life carry over...

Or if you have a vagina, then you could buy a muscle car with an automatic.

Except that an automatic is faster than a stick, at least in quarter-mile

That was the point i was trying to make, not new, had a stiff clutch but wasn't bad when you got used to it. Although you would try and kick the pedal into the engine bay of a civic if you tried driving one after...

Very true. I drive a 97 TransAm, and just about put my foot through the floor in my friend's Honda.

I will say that, my next vehicle will be automatic. Stop and go traffic pisses me off, and I've had times where I've had a leg/knee injury and couldn't drive my car. In fact, after hernia surgery It was two weeks before I could shift the damn thing.

This is true, at least in the high end with modern cars. Fully built automatic transmission is next to perfect, from a shifting perspective. It more than makes up for the additional weight and slight power loss with perfect shifts every time and just barely kissing the redline with no fear of blowing something up.

But yeh, I'm pretty sure now that my workouts wont hamper my ability to buy a stick, so I guess I'll go ahead and buy one. Maybe I'll post pics in the O/T once I get it.. though I guess I never posted pics of my vert either.

Ummmm no? There are a couple exceptions but they usually involve very high horsepower cars with very good traction/launch control and forced induction where the computer will do WOT upshifts for you. (examples: 911 turbo, R35 skyline)

For the average joe car the stick is always much faster.

Ummmm no? There are a couple exceptions but they usually involve very high horsepower cars with very good traction/launch control and forced induction where the computer will do WOT upshifts for you. (examples: 911 turbo, R35 skyline)

I do not how to drive a manual. When my uncle brought his truck I had to move it off our driveway so he let me. It was this really really old mazda truck. I for whatever reason could not get it going down the driveway. I thought I was doing it right but it just kept stalling. I turned on the car, put my foot on the clutch, changed gears and released the clutch the while I started to press the pedal. Is taht not how you do it?

I do not how to drive a manual. When my uncle brought his truck I had to move it off our driveway so he let me. It was this really really old mazda truck. I for whatever reason could not get it going down the driveway. I thought I was doing it right but it just kept stalling. I turned on the car, put my foot on the clutch, changed gears and released the clutch the while I started to press the pedal. Is taht not how you do it?

If the truck kept stalling you were probably letting the clutch out too fast.

I can do squats and drive my tractor-trailer around the cities, which is decidedly more difficult clutch-wise than any car, so I doubt you'll end up so hobbled you wouldn't be able to drive a Mustang.

I grant you that I don;t squat 700 lbs, but still...

If the truck kept stalling you were probably letting the clutch out too fast.

I'm supposed to engage the accelerator before I let go of the clutch? So basically I can start driving normally then let go?

You are wrong. I imagine you've never built, or driven a fast car. I have done both. Autos win over standards every time.

Ummmm? Dumbass. What racer still rows a 4-speed or 5-speed? No one. An auto is faster than a stick - always- in 1/4 mile. A hard-shifting valve body and a higher stall convertor is all thats needed. A fully manual valve body is also preferable- a clutchless standard, if you will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back