DrBdan Presents: Operation Bench Press (2013)

Along with the team I've also been slumping somewhat in the second half of the season:

First 4 games: 7 goals, 2 assists (team is 2-1-1)
Last 5 games: 3 goals, 1 assist (team is 0-5)

Pull your socks up brutha. Team's counting on you...

I feel like I'm still playing well and getting chances but not as many are going in. Part of it is that the goaltending has been better in these last 5 games. I'm making better use of my teammates and setting up some good chances but they aren't scoring either.

Last season we had 6 guys scoring over 1 point/game and this season only two of us are. I'm scoring roughly at my usual pace but our leading scorer from the last two seasons (he averaged over 2 points/game) only has 9 points in 8 games this season.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I was on a hot streak to begin the season while other people weren't scoring and it was enough to carry the team but now that I've cooled off our scoring has disappeared.

More stats: In the first 4 games we averaged 4 goals for and 3.2 goals against per game. In the last 5 games we have averaged 2.8 goals for and 5.2 goals against per game.

As long as your getting chances, you should be out of the slump soon. When the chances stop coming is when your fucked.

Also, 10 goals, 3 assists? Learn to pass the puck, man. (I was hoping for a coach Bombay/egg joke here but it wasn't gonna fit)

I pass the puck a lot, it's just that people aren't scoring this season so I'm not getting many assists. For example in the Winter season I had 18 goals and 13 assists so not nearly as lopsided.

It something I always try to keep in mind because once I get over the other team's blueline I'm always looking to get a shot which can sometimes mean overlooking a teammate that is open for a better shot.

I'm going to be running Madcow 5x5 now (http://madcow.wackyhq.com/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm):

Changes I am making are:

- Chins instead of rows on Mon/Fri. I will be doing them in short sets during squats and bench. I'm starting with 50 reps total minimum and will be increasing that weekly. The difference between Mon and Fri will be that on Fri I will do more reps/set and fewer sets. e.g. this week I will do sets of 4 on Monday and sets of 6 on Friday.

- The program specifies a 2.5% increase on Friday but I'm going to 5 lb instead to make the increases consistent and easy to figure out. I don't like using % for increases because then the jumps get bigger as you get stronger.

- On Wednesday I will be doing strict press

- On Wednesday, for deadlifts I will do the top set of 5 as singles with short rest (~30 seconds) between them.

For the first couple weeks I'm going to do a 10 lb jump for squats. Today I'm starting with 235x5. Let's do it.

Mon July 15, 2013

Holy fuck is it ever hot today and it's going to be like this all week. Blargh.

Madcow - Week 1

C2 rower, dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
155x5
175x5
195x5
215x5
235x5

- Bench
45x10
75x6
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
180x5

- Chins
13 sets of 4 throughout the session (52 total)

Hot weather, a cold, and 6 hours of sleep last night combined to make this entire session harder than it should have been.

I pass the puck a lot, it's just that people aren't scoring this season so I'm not getting many assists. For example in the Winter season I had 18 goals and 13 assists so not nearly as lopsided.

It something I always try to keep in mind because once I get over the other team's blueline I'm always looking to get a shot which can sometimes mean overlooking a teammate that is open for a better shot.

I was just busting your balls. I don't pass much either. If I have the puck in the offensive zone, I will take the outside and drive the net every time. As an 6'2 220 (when I was in season) unskilled player, I figure that's my best chance.

If you have a decent look, it's not a 2-1 and the second man isn't driving the net, take the shot every time, I'd say.

Wed July 17, 2013

- Strict press
45x10
45x5
60x5
75x5
90x5
115x5

Couldn't get a squat rack so I started with these. Easy.

- Deadlifts
45x5
135x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
275x1
315x1
335x5

I realized at the end that I'm supposed to be ramping the deadlifts and not just working up to a top set of 5. Next time I guess.

After this I still couldn't get a squat rack so I did some front squats

- Front Squats
65x5
95x5
115x5
135x5

I'm pretty limited since my power clean is weak but I at least got some work in.

Fri July 19, 2013

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
155x5
175x5
195x5
215x5
245x3
185x8

245 felt solid. I decided to make the back-off set 185 instead of 195 since 195 is a bit above 80% of my working set from Monday. I was getting tired and some of the reps were sloppy. I could feel that I was leaning a bit to my right on the last couple reps.

- Bench
45x10
75x6
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
185x3
135x8

These felt solid even though I wasn't feeling energetic at all.

- Chins
4 sets of 6 throughout the session (24 total) but I was really drained by the end so I didn't do any more sets.

As I mentioned on Monday the extremely hot weather, a cold, and lack of sleep has me feeling pretty lethargic this week. The heat is supposed to break tomorrow and since it's the weekend I get to sleep in.

I also changed some of the vents in our house so we get maximum A/C in the main bedroom so now I can close the door and keep our cats out which will stop them from waking me up at 6:30 every morning.

Sun July 21, 2013

Hockey
Last night was a heck of a game and we finally broke our losing streak! It was another fast-paced game but this team was a bit slower than our last few opponents so we were able to keep up.

The first period was full of action as we traded goals back and forth and we ended the period up 4-3. We made it 5-3 in the first minute of the second period and they pulled to 5-4 a few minutes later. We carried the lead into the third period and they scored early to tie it 5-5. We traded chances back and forth until finally we scored with about 3 minutes left to take a 6-5 lead. We held them off after that to get the win!

The entire team played really well. It was probably our best passing game of the year as we were able to put together multiple passes to break out of our own end and setup good rushes.

Personally I had a great game with a goal and two assists. The other team had two solid centers but I did a good job of winning face-offs. Last time we played them one guy beat me almost every time so I was happy to go about 50/50 this time.

This was the last game of the regular season so now we have two round robin playoff games. We play this same team again next week and we really need to win because our second game is against the first place team and it will take a miracle to beat them.

Mon July 22, 2013

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
150x5
170x5
195x5
220x5
245x5

Not bad, form felt pretty solid.

- Bench
45x10
45x8
75x6
95x4
115x5
135x5
150x5
165x5
185x5

The reps of 185 were tough but smooth. I feel like my bench reps are more consistent now than they were last year which helps me miss fewer reps.

- Chins
5x4 (20 total) throughout session

I'm still continuing my bad habits of eating poorly and not sleeping enough so I felt pretty tired going into this workout. I'm actually surprised that I played so well at hockey last night since I didn't eat much all day and spent most of the afternoon working on my bathroom reno. Anyway, point being I didn't have a lot of energy to do chins between sets and I ran out of time at the end so I didn't do more.

Wed July 24, 2013

treadmill, dynamic stretching. Treadmill sucks for warming up so I did extra dynamic stuff

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
150x5
170x5
195x5
195x5

These all felt solid as they should.

- Press
45x8
45x5
60x3
75x5
90x5
105x5
120x5

Last rep of 120 was slow, partially because I'm not getting my head through fast enough and partially because I'm weak :)

- Deadlifts
45x8
135x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
255x3
285x3
315x3
345x5

I decided to ramp up as triples today instead of 5s to give me a bit of a chance to get used to the deadlift volume. 345 was harder than expected. Remind me to never take time off from deadlifting again.

- Chins
13 sets of 4 (52 total), various grips. Normally I don't do chins on Wednesday but since I skipped them on Monday I wanted to get them in today.

Fri July 26, 2013

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
150x5
170x5
195x5
220x5
250x3

Solid. I skipped the set of 8 to give my legs a bit of a rest since I have hockey playoffs on Sunday. Or maybe I was just being a wimp... YOU DECIDE!! :)

- Bench
45x10
75x6
95x4
115x5
135x5
150x5
170x5
190x3
150x8

Everything up to and including 170x5 felt really good. The first two reps of 190 were good but on the last one my elbows flared and the bar got a bit crooked. I think I probably should have taken another minute or so of rest. 150x8 was good except for the last rep that got squirrelly too.

- Chins
5 sets of 6 during bench warm-up then 1/2/3/4/3/2/1 (46 reps total).

Other than Wednesday's lifting and last Sunday's hockey I've been having a complete lack of energy over the past 2 or 3 weeks. It's a combo of the extreme heat (which finally broke last Sunday), not enough sleep, and having to devote too much time to bullshit (stuff at work, shit with contractors at home). At least I'm still getting the work in but it's felt like a grind the last few weeks.

Have you not done any Muay Thai since May? Or just not been logging it, or is my reading comprehension not what it should be?

No you are correct, I'm on hiatus right now. Due to scheduling issues I wasn't able to spar much and I was getting tired of doing pad work all the time. There were a lot of new people at the gym so the intermediate-level classes were pretty basic. Years ago they would include more defensive tactics, counters, clinching, and light sparring but for the past 6 months they were basically a few different combos and maybe some basic blocking drills. Basically I got bored and since I'm only doing it for recreation I decided I'd take a break.

It also took up a lot of time and since I'm always busier in the Summer it's nice to have those 2 or 3 nights/week free. It also means I can focus more on lifting hence giving Madcow a try.

I start Madcow in a week, gonne do Squat/Bench/Power Clean Mon/Fri and Squat/Press/Dead Wednesday. Chins/Pullups on Mon/Fri and Dips/Hypers on Weds for assistance. Thoughts?

I'm coming off Juggernaut so I feel like it's going to be a big drop in volume.

Never take time off deadlifting again.

Sounds good to me. How will you program the PCs? Same as squats? 5RM on Mon and 3RM on Fri?

Back