DrBdan Presents: Operation Bench Press (2013)

Sun Dec 15, 2013

Hockey
Crappy game yesterday. The team we played is pretty physical and we got caught up in complaining about penalties instead of playing our own game. They had a 1-0 lead going into the third period when we completely lost focus. Our leading scorer got himself kicked out and we just couldn't focus on our own game. We only have a few scoring chances and they scored 3 more unanswered goals to win 4-0.

I did my best to calm people down and at least get some scoring chances in the third period but it was to no avail. Every time they scored a goal our team seemed to lose more focus and played worse. This season we've been playing some consistently good hockey but yesterday we returned to our old, bad habits. Our forwards were pressing too much on offense but not getting scoring chances and then not helping out on defense and our defense were getting pummeled in our own zone.

This was the first game this season that was simply not fun to play. Hopefully next week will be better since it's our last game because the Xmas break.

Mon Dec 16, 2013

C2 rower, dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
165x5
195x5
225x5
250x5
280x5

My form felt off today but 280 was solid. My knees were bothering me again, hopefully they just need some rest.

- Bench
45x10
75x8
95x6
115x4
135x10
140x8
125x5
125x5
125x5

These felt great. My form felt really good and the reps were pretty easy.

That's all. I was feeling really unmotivated today so I was surprised that I didn't struggle with anything. I need more quality sleep. Back work to be done at home tonight.

Dec 18, 2013

- Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
255x1
285x1
315x1
355x1
385x1x6 (singles)

Solid. Good bar speed.

- DB Rows
30x10
65x10
100x8
100x8
100x8

That's it for today.

Dubebro, we're working with the same squat and deadlift weight. I'm going to hitting 5 reps at 280 tomorrow. And DL is 390 for 5 next time I can actaully deadlift.

Nice, we can push each other in the New Year. I made decent progress this year and then a few minor injuries scrapped my plans for hitting PRs. Hopefully those PRs will roll over into next year and I'll have a good year.

Nice, we can push each other in the New Year. I made decent progress this year and then a few minor injuries scrapped my plans for hitting PRs. Hopefully those PRs will roll over into next year and I'll have a good year.

I agree.
I am still using Madcow. I'm going to apply a more autoregulatory progress in the new year though. On my 5's days I am going for AMRAP same as my 3 days. If I hit more than 8 on 5's and 5 on 3's I increase by 10 the next time. If I can only hit my rep range then increase by 5. If I cannot make it I'll stay the same weight.

I haven't been getting nearly enough sleep this week so I'm feeling crappy today. Blargh.

Fri Dec 20, 2013

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
165x5
195x5
225x5
255x5
285x3

Skipped the back-off set because of a lack of energy. The sets of 5 felt like doing cardio.

- Bench
45x10
65x8
85x6
105x4
125x8
125x8
125x8

- DB rows
25x10
50x10
50x10
50x10
50x10
50x10

I supersetted the rows with the bench because I needed to get back to the office. A bunch of our co-ops are heading back to school after Christmas so we had a short meeting to say thanks and good bye and give them going away gifts (Tim Horton's gift cards). The supersetting was like cardio too.

Sun Dec 22, 2013

Hockey
We had a big ice storm in Toronto on Saturday night and power was knocked out all across the city. I had to go out to get some stuff (food, road salt etc) so I decided I would swing by the rink to see if the games were still on. My team had been emaling around about the game but I didn't get any of them because my power had been out since Saturday night. We could have had 7 or 8 skaters but people wouldn't commit to coming so other people dropped out.

We ended up with only 4 skaters but we grabbed a goalie from another team and our opponents agreed to play 4 on 4 so the game counted. Of course with no subs we got smashed (the other team had 12 skaters) but it was better than not playing.

The final score was 8-3 and had a goal and an assist. I thought the four of us played pretty well considering we were gassed by the second period. At the very least I got a few points to pad my stats.

Now we're off for a weekend with our next game on Jan 5. I'm probably going to play a game of pick-up with some friends on Friday and I might play shinny at a local outdoor rink on the weekend.

I feel like shit today so I'm not lifting which means I'm done lifting for the year.

I played pick-up hockey with some friends on Friday night. We rented ice for an hour but since there was no one after us so we got about 90 minutes total. We also only had 9 skaters (and two goalies) so we had tonnes of ice time.

I was going to play shinny this morning but I overslept so I didn't go. It's also freezing cold out so I might not have played for long anyway.

So yeah I haven't been very active since starting vacation but I'll get back to it on Jan 2 when I'm back to work. I'd like to figure out a new program/schedule to incorporate some conditioning work because I feel like I'm slowing down at hockey. Losing a few pounds would help too.

End of year stats:

Weight: 217 lb
Squat: 340 lb
Bench: 215
Deadlift: 455

Goals for June 2014:

Weight: < 205
Squat: 355
Bench: 225
Deadlift: 475

I would also like to improve my general conditioning and for my hockey team to make it out of the playoff round robin for the first time in a Winter season. We've made the finals and semi-finals in the Summer season but that's when competition is weaker. Another general/unofficial goal is to get out to shinny on weeknights occasionally so I can get more ice time than just playing on Sundays.

Happy New Year!

Fri Jan 3, 2014

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
155x5
175x5
200x5
225x5

- DB Bench
20x10
30x10
40x8
40x8
40x8

- DB Rows
40x10
40x10
60x10
70x10

This was just a light session to work off the rust after the holidays. My sleep schedule is really out of wack so getting up for work was rough and I had zero energy at the gym.

I still haven't figured out my program for the new year nor have a I figured out a name for a new log but I guess I should do that this weekend before lifting "for real" on Monday.

Back