Dragon Ball Xenoverse.

My "review":

http://steamcommunity.com/id/prmaguiar/recommended/323470/

A quick "first-impressions" piece since I have no idea how people can give this game so many positive reviews.

First things first. Dragon Ball Xenoverse is supposed to be an MMO of sorts. Exactly how is something I have not yet learned, since I can't connect to the game's servers, and the only way to be able to play it is by starting Steam in offline mode, even just for the single-player campaign and local matches.

But that's just a minor problem in the grand scheme of things...

All game modes - campaign, versus, etc. are accessed through a hub world. You create your character (the customization options are quite nice, by the way) and walk very long distances to talk to a non-playable character just to play a simple versus match. This is absolutely ridiculous, one of the worst design choices I have ever seen. Why can't I just jump into a match from the main menu screen like in every other fighting game?

Well, I guess that might be because this... is not "really" a fighting game. It's more like a brawler. And boy, is the gameplay repetitive... Rush to your enemy, smash the two hand-to-hand combat buttons, finish the combination with a little special attack (which completely lacks the spectacle seen in Budokai 3, for instance), repeat. Or just spam throws and hope for the best.

Enemies in the campaign are glorified damage sponges that take a very long time to take down. In order to have the smallest of chances of beating the game, you must first grind your way to higher levels by completing redundant "parallel quests" - just a cute name for side battles that are not really part of the main story.

I wouldn't even bother with the campaign, since the plot is so lazy and uninspired, if not for the fact that you need to play it to unlock every character for versus mode. Yet another abysmal design decision.

On the bright side: it is a decent PC port, connectivity issues aside.

I'm a huge, huge Dragon Ball fan since the mid-nineties, so reading that Xenoverse was coming to PC was a dream come true, as the platform has been historically neglected by the franchise. It's just a shame that the game turned out to be such a disappointment.

I can't disagree with what you are saying, but I still very much so enjoy the game. The constant walking is definitely something that gets tiring, I agree. There's no main menu for anything. Even if I'd want to do a 1V1, I am forced to do so through the hub. Thats shit.

The story is the best part.

One of the better Dragon Ball stories told in a while.

I'm really enjoying this, it's becoming one of my favorite DBZ games.

I only played through the first Raditz fight and the first parallel quest. Hate the hub already, lol. I don't feel like the combat is as deep as Tenkaichi. I loved comboing, tripping a guy, grabbing the foot and throwing them, following up with a dash into another combo or hitting em with a huge blast

I played a little over the weekend. I agree with some of the cons of the game but I think they did enough to make it fun while not having a whole lot of competition for the DBZ nostalgia at the moment (plus I haven't played a DBZ game in a long time).

I'm not that far in, haven't unlocked online vs mode.

Question - I signed up to have Piccolo mentor me. Should I follow all the way through with him or jump to another mentor? I mean the only other one I've seen is Krillin but still just wondering.

Question - I signed up to have Piccolo mentor me. Should I follow all the way through with him or jump to another mentor? I mean the only other one I've seen is Krillin but still just wondering.

Yeah I have a lot of questions like that about this game, I guess I need to read a guide. I also feel like I must be doing something wrong, because I mostly just attack people in melee and hardly use any supers. When I do, it's like they do less damage than a good combo so they almost aren't worth it

However, when I fight people who do those explode enemies away from them moves I do get into some trouble

It probably due to your stats and character build. Weight, Height, it all has effect on the type of damage you do.

I completed story mode. It was fun, a nice change. I dont know if I will continue playing right away. I think I will want to see the servers fixed before I start grinding for levels. I've not spend a minute online yet because of their servers.

I got a backlog anyway. Need to get through some games before Final Fantasy and Bloodborne come out.

It probably due to your stats and character build. Weight, Height, it all has effect on the type of damage you do.

I completed story mode. It was fun, a nice change. I dont know if I will continue playing right away. I think I will want to see the servers fixed before I start grinding for levels. I've not spend a minute online yet because of their servers.

I got a backlog anyway. Need to get through some games before Final Fantasy and Bloodborne come out.

Yeah I started out putting points in everything, and it just seemed like basic attack had the most payoff. I just beat Freiza though, and wowsers he had some nasty ki attacks. He would shoot this one twice that would drain most of my stamina with the first one then blast through my guard and do like a quarter of my life with the second. There has to be a way to like dodge or interrupt those ultimates, but I haven't figured it out yet

How long do you think the story took you?

Yeah I started out putting points in everything, and it just seemed like basic attack had the most payoff. I just beat Freiza though, and wowsers he had some nasty ki attacks. He would shoot this one twice that would drain most of my stamina with the first one then blast through my guard and do like a quarter of my life with the second. There has to be a way to like dodge or interrupt those ultimates, but I haven't figured it out yet

I used after image for that. Forgot where I got that move, but check all the evasive/defensive skills you have there should be something there to help you.

Ugh. Fucking server issues. I played fine, defeated Vegeta and cre cleared some PQs for items and skills... Then disconnected and can't get back in. Over an hour now

Damnit I want to go Super Saiyan

Ginyu in Goku's body is kicking my ass. Sucks starting with 1/4 health. And then Guldo keeps focusing me.. when VEGETA IS SUPPOSED TO FUCKING FIGHT HIM.

At least I want to get Kaioken. Learning the transformations has got to be the most annoying thing to unlock.

For those having trouble with certain battles. There's a Z-Soul called "I'm neither Kami nor Piccolo" or something like that, it's OP as hell and carried me through the game. It perma-regens your health as long as your ki is at max. It also boosts several stats. Obviously it favors builds that don't rely exclusively on ki blasts.

People who play PVP are going crazy over it, lol.

Speaking of PVP, I've just pwnd a level 70 dude with my brand new Vegito, and I'm only 62. Spirit Sword ftw. For all my criticism of the game it can be quite satifying, a shame that the servers are just AWFUL. Really, probably the worst servers I've seen in a game.

P.S.: I think that Z-Soul can only be obtained from the mixing shop

So would you guys say the game is worth the 60 bucks, or should I hold off to see if server issues get resolved and such?

At least I want to get Kaioken. Learning the transformations has got to be the most annoying thing to unlock.
I just got Kaioken x 3 from one of the 2 Star PQs.
For those having trouble with certain battles. There's a Z-Soul called "I'm neither Kami nor Piccolo" or something like that, it's OP as hell and carried me through the game. It perma-regens your health as long as your ki is at max. It also boosts several stats. Obviously it favors builds that don't rely exclusively on ki blasts.

People who play PVP are going crazy over it, lol.

Speaking of PVP, I've just pwnd a level 70 dude with my brand new Vegito, and I'm only 62. Spirit Sword ftw. For all my criticism of the game it can be quite satifying, a shame that the servers are just AWFUL. Really, probably the worst servers I've seen in a game.

P.S.: I think that Z-Soul can only be obtained from the mixing shop

I'll check out the mixing shop then! Thanks for the tip.

Back