douche at gym

If you train, I hope this is sarcasm. If this isn't sarcasm, please never train.

Intentionally trying to keep someone from learning is on par with deliberately trying to injure someone in my book. You are training partners. You are teammates. You should be helping each other learn, not trying to sabotage one another in an effort to get better than the other guy.

What are you talking about? Again, I mentioned both talking to his partner and the professor before resorting to just working around him in a way that does not make training miserable, painful, or unduly injurious. If, by some chance, the OP is doing something wrong then what I outlined above would lead to the OP being set straight by the professor.

That aside, this adult, at least by the OP's description (which may be skewed), appears to be going out of his way to hurt a 14yr old and ignoring said 14yr input on the matter. And, you're upset that I don't care if he learns or not after having gone through the steps I outlined above?

I'm sorry, but a teammate is not someone who trains at the same gym--that's primitive tribal talk, and I'd like to think that we're quite a few generations out from that. Someone being a teammate is a set of actions, and those actions are a two way commensal street.

And, if this guy IS a huge douche, do we really want huge douches like that representing BJJ? If you'd rather train and support douchebags simply because they choose to fly the BJJ banner rather than assess each individual by their character and bring only those of good character into your circle of BJJ friends, then I sure as hell hope you don't train.

What are you talking about? Again, I mentioned both talking to his partner and the professor before resorting to just working around him in a way that does not make training miserable, painful, or unduly injurious. If, by some chance, the OP is doing something wrong then what I outlined above would lead to the OP being set straight by the professor.

That aside, this adult, at least by the OP's description (which may be skewed), appears to be going out of his way to hurt a 14yr old and ignoring said 14yr input on the matter. And, you're upset that I don't care if he learns or not after having gone through the steps I outlined above?

I'm sorry, but a teammate is not someone who trains at the same gym--that's primitive tribal talk, and I'd like to think that we're quite a few generations out from that. Someone being a teammate is a set of actions, and those actions are a two way commensal street.

And, if this guy IS a huge douche, do we really want huge douches like that representing BJJ? If you'd rather train and support douchebags simply because they choose to fly the BJJ banner rather than assess each individual by their character and bring only those of good character into your circle of BJJ friends, then I sure as hell hope you don't train.

The partner is the OP is a new 18-19 year old student, and TS is a 14 year old white belt with only a couple of months of experience. They partnered once. Based on that, you're prepared to tell TS to interfere with this guy's learning so TS can "beat him and he'll feel like an idiot".

Yeah, I have a huge problem with that.

For starters, the kind of behavior described in the OP is part & parcel of what happens when newbies partner with newbies. The brand new guy goes full spazztard, and the slightly more experienced newbie often gets butthurt if he gets dominated. Newbies go too hard, they screw up demonstrated techniques, they get too competitive in rolls, they try stuff when they don't know what to do in a given situation. That's how this stuff happens, and it's why newbies shouldn't pair off with other newbies. Yet for some reason, you and TS are prepared to brand him as some sadist that simply enjoys hurting smaller guys. :rolleyes:

Secondly, the behavior you suggest is incredibly disrespectful. You're free to choose your friends in whatever manner you see fit. However, when you step onto those mats in class, you need to respect that it is a learning environment. That sort of cutthroat competitive mindset and notion of retaliatory douchebagginess have absolutely no place in the gym. You are there to learn and to be a good training partner, regardless of whether you like your partner or not.

To put it simply, it's not your call (as a student) to decide who is allowed to train there. It's definitely not your call to decide who is worthy to "represent BJJ". As such, it's extremely inappropriate to try to sabotage someone's progress, let alone suggest this as an option to someone else. Like I said before, that kind of violation of trust is on par with deliberately trying to injure a training partner IMO.

And as to your pedantic point about "teammates", you don't get to arbitrarily change the meaning of the word. Teammates are members of the same team. A person can be a good teammate or a bad teammate, contrary to your suggestion otherwise. When you pair up with them, they are your training partner. I see very little value in playing the game of "we are on a team together, but are we truly teammates?" because it's nothing but semantics. The point stands that there is absolutely no justification for trying to prevent a fellow student from learning.

Syncopizer, I think you should follow my method for dealing with this particular situation:

madgrappler said:
Hereafter you will be ignored. You have said nothing of value or worthy of respect.

A guy trolling a troll thread. Why bother. If he's not a troll the above applies. Ignore that which does not matter and makes no contribution to the universe, my friend.

Syncopizer, I think you should follow my method for dealing with this particular situation:

A guy trolling a troll thread. Why bother. If he's not a troll the above applies. Ignore that which does not matter and makes no contribution to the universe, my friend.

Sync, you should definitely listen to this guy. He's an accomplished street fighter from parts unknown, where men fight him for no reason, and friendship means standing idly by while your buddy gets beaten up.

Artist's rendition:
THE_GREEN_BASTARD_by_MalevolentNate.jpg

Last edited:
As others have said, just tap. I was put in a nasty neck crank last night, instantly tapped.. still sore today. :mad:

As others have said, just tap. I was put in a nasty neck crank last night, instantly tapped.. still sore today. :mad:

This happened to me at the gym today. Guy I don't particularly like but don't particularly dislike almost rolled me off the top but I posted and we got sideways, he threw a leg up and almost got to triangle position, we were paused there waiting on each other (he wanted to get that other leg under me for the triangle and just needed a crack to push it through, so I had to wait before coming back on top to stop that leg) and he just started pushing my head and pulling his leg behind my neck - it hurt like hell. It also pissed me off. I tapped after a second, shook hands and went to find another partner. I'll avoid him in the future and tap early and often if I there aren't any other big guys there to prevent injury. I'll also be tempted to pull on subs a little harder and longer than necessary from now on - but I hope I've outgrown that phase of life. There's nothing to be gained there.

Back