Dorticos vs Gassiev - Saturday 3rd February

You could be right, but Usyk does get hit, especially if a guy can cut the ring on him.
Yeah true but I don't think Gassiev is that great at closing down his opponents. Dorticos made it easier for him by standing in front of him. Usyk won't do that.

4hrs until the Top Rank card on ESPN.
FYI

- How do you see the fight going, do you think Jay-Z will be there, and will you say hello to your mother for me?
- *translator speaks* Yes.

I like thank promotors for good fight and nice crowd. He velly tough good fight. Spasibo balshoi Sochoi! Spaconi noche.

What an amazing fight. I am surprised that Dorticos landed so many left uppercuts and big hooks and didn't go down once - at least, until the 12th. Dorticos couldn't land anything of significance after he gave up trying to go for the body, his winging right hands would just land of the gloves of Gassiev.

I can't wait for Usyk vs Gassiev, Ukraine vs Russia! A rivalry that will never end. I hope Gassiev can work on his ring work, not getting trapped against the ropes.

Breidis caught Usyk to the body and he clearly didn't like it. Usyk never looked like hurting Breidis.

I think Gassiev will punish Usyk badly. And I really like Usyk.

I don't think Usyk will be able to hurt Gassiev but I think he will out land him over the course to 12 rounds. Gassiev just seems to slow on his feet to get to Usyk unless Usyk makes a mistake of letting Gassiev go toe to toe with him.

I don't think Usyk will be able to hurt Gassiev but I think he will out land him over the course to 12 rounds. Gassiev just seems to slow on his feet to get to Usyk unless Usyk makes a mistake of letting Gassiev go toe to toe with him.

Usyk will have to be on his toes all night to pull it off. Should be fascinating. What an awesome competition.

Really good fight. That Gassiev left hook was explosive. I figured Dorticos was done after it landed and Gassiev was walking away but that guy is game af. Sturdy chin that he kept tucked and took some hard shots to the body fine too from one of the hardest punchers in the division. It was clear to me that Gassiev was really pacing himself to turn it up at the end, which he did.

Usyk will have to be on his toes all night to pull it off. Should be fascinating. What an awesome competition.
Yeah it's a great finale to what has been a great competition! And we have the super MW finals to look forward to as well.

There's something special about Gassiev.. At 24 years old, he's way ahead of his time. He already has Lebedev's, Wlod's and Dorticos' scalp. These guys were/are champs.

There's something special about Gassiev.. At 24 years old, he's way ahead of his time. He already has Lebedev's, Wlod's and Dorticos' scalp. These guys were/are champs.

His birth certificate says 24 but his face says "I served in the Soviet–Afghan War"

He's an Ossetian, those guys are born fighting. He said in a pre-fight documentary that he was used to fighting three times a day as a kid and for his breaks he'd go play football with his mates. These guys are indoctrinated into fighting from an early age.

Correct. And he show another level against Usyk.

Sportsmanship

Gassiev's amateur career only consisted of 25 bouts according to his Wiki page. I knew his am career was short but didn't know it was that short. He's been learning on the job which is impressive when you consider that he doesn't have hundreds of amateur bouts to his name at or near the highest levels before he turned pro in September 2011.

How much can Gassiev really improve, actually?
Abel Sanchez took away Golovkin's biggest attributes and Golovkin hasn't shown TACTICAL improvement in the last 5 years.

Gassiev is a guy with a short ammy career, and is showing a lot for a relatively short career. Don't be so hard on the guy, or the gym he is at. All things considered, he's about the best any one of us could do for such a short amount of time. Sanchez and Golovkin actually work really well together. He hasn't taken anything away from him; he tailored a style of body-hitting and aggression that is pushed through a sound Eastern-bloc skillset. If anything, Sanchez gave Golovkin a few new wrinkles to his game.

Gassiev is a guy with a short ammy career, and is showing a lot for a relatively short career. Don't be so hard on the guy, or the gym he is at. All things considered, he's about the best any one of us could do for such a short amount of time. Sanchez and Golovkin actually work really well together. He hasn't taken anything away from him; he tailored a style of body-hitting and aggression that is pushed through a sound Eastern-bloc skillset. If anything, Sanchez gave Golovkin a few new wrinkles to his game.

I'm not sure that Sanchez has added anything to Golovkin. He arguably showed more wrinkles early in his pro career before teaming up with Sanchez.

Sanchez and Golovkin actually work really well together. He hasn't taken anything away from him; he tailored a style of body-hitting and aggression that is pushed through a sound Eastern-bloc skillset. If anything, Sanchez gave Golovkin a few new wrinkles to his game.

I agree. Golovkin has one of the most effective jabs in the game, and that wasn't the case before Sanchez.

Tremendous fight. Gassiev is a patient killing machine.
The final is perfectly set up, can't wait.

Gassiev won?

Don't blast me for asking: but was it a legit win? Or was the deck stacked against Dorticos?

Back