Don't be fooled kids, it's not up to DJ whether he fights TJ or Cody, it's up to the UFC

Rum

Champion of Champions
@Silver
Reaction score
Buncha Sherbabies have their knickers in a twist over this when it's really much more simple than they realize.

DJ's negotiating tactic is to say he doesn't want to sign to fight TJ or Cody at 125 until he knows they can make the weight, so he doesn't waste his time preparing for a fight which wouldn't count as a defense if his opponent misses on the scales and which wouldn't take place at all if his opponent is pulled, like several fighters have been due to bad weight cuts.

The UFC can easily mitigate this by having a standby challenger for if TJ misses weight, guaranteeing DJ a legit defense. They can also pay guarantee him his payday. If they do this DJ has much less reason not to take the fight. (I say "much less" rather than zero, because he would essentially have to prepare for two different opponents, TJ and the alternate, but they could mitigate this also by having the alt be a lower ranked opponent, and possibly one DJ has already beaten, and thus someone DJ's already prepped for before.)

Anyone who thinks an 11-defense champion owes any 1-defense champion any kind of favour is a naive sucker.

Buncha Sherbabies have their knickers in a twist over this when it's really much more simple than they realize.

DJ's negotiating tactic is to say he doesn't want to sign to fight TJ or Cody at 125 until he knows they can make the weight, so he doesn't waste his time preparing for a fight which wouldn't count as a defense if his opponent misses on the scales and which wouldn't take place at all if his opponent is pulled, like several fighters have been due to bad weight cuts.

The UFC can easily mitigate this by having a standby challenger for if TJ misses weight, guaranteeing DJ a legit defense. They can also pay guarantee him his payday. If they do this DJ has much less reason not to take the fight. (I say "much less" rather than zero, because he would essentially have to prepare for two different opponents, TJ and the alternate, but they could mitigate this also by having the alt be a lower ranked opponent, and possibly one DJ has already beaten, and thus someone DJ's already prepped for before.)

Anyone who thinks an 11-defense champion owes any 1-defense champion any kind of favour is a naive sucker.

TL; DR - fighters are not matchmakers.

/thread.

TLDR MM doesn't want to fight

I'm over this anymore. rather have dillashaw (or cody) fighting moraes, assunção and so on

they definitely can't force him to fight TJ, he's not a employee

I dont really care if he ever fights TJ anymore. Just get the hell out of here with that P4P shit if he insists on rematching people he has already beaten before instead of looking for the next legit challege.

Yeah, as an indentured servant to WME he MUST continue to fight until he dies. It’s the gladiator code, bro!

Half of MM title defense are Vs Bums.

Facing TJ(or Cody) for the 135lbs strap wouldn't take any money away from him.
I don't know why he doesn't push for that fight tbh.
(Catchweight of 130lbs could work too)

TL; DR - fighters are not matchmakers.

/thread.
200w.gif

Most of those things are what DJ was trying to negotiate the first time but UFC only wanted him to do it as a regular fight. Since it was his fight to break the record he wasn't interested in training for two different opponents.
It's weird. When we have a situation like Ortega vs Max people on here say fighters should negotiate for those types of things in their contract but when a fighter does that they get shit on for it.

"DJ's negotiating tactic is to say he doesn't want to sign to fight TJ or Cody at 125 until he knows they can make the weight, so he doesn't waste his time preparing for a fight which wouldn't count as a defense if his opponent misses on the scales and which wouldn't take place at all if his opponent is pulled, like several fighters have been due to bad weight cuts."

If that was the case why did he come out now saying he accepted the fight? I agree with the fact that he had said that TJ should have a fight at 125 first but if DJ had actually accepted a fight with TJ at the time; he would have been pushing for the fight to happen in social media or interviews or even streaming Fortnight. The whole thing just makes it look like he's ducking TJ for easier competition.

DJ's negotiating tactic is to say he doesn't want to sign to fight TJ or Cody at 125 until he knows they can make the weight
Johnson wants $1-2 million for the fight, weight is irrelevant.

/thread

We know fighters are not matchmakers and have little say in who they will fight. But hating on MM is almost an inside joke already.

I was fooled up until reading this thread. Thank god for this thread. Saved me from my own naivety.

MM already asked for guarenteed financial compensation if TJ was to miss weight. He said do that and the fight is on.

The UFC said no. Probably don't want to set a precedent and give fighters more leverage during negotiations.

And just because you beat someone over one way doesn't mean if you fight them again the fight will play out the same way. IIRC the first Jones/DC fight played out in the clinch for the majority of the fight. The second fight was mostly a stand up fight.

Catchweight or 135, that's the only circumstance I'd care about MM vs TJ.

"It's up to the UFC"

Meanwhile DJ's list of a demands to fight TJ...

PresentMelodicAfricanparadiseflycatcher.gif

"Negotiating tactic"

What, to make less money and be in a lower spot on the exact same card? What a power move by DJ!

Extremely skilled fighter but c'mon who can respect that? Hope Cejudo kicks this guys ass.

No one gives a shit about Mighty Mouse or his shitty turbomanlet weight class.

If he did man up and fight TJ that could have changed a little, but he didn’t so his loss.

Back