Don’t forget, you have to beat the champion convincingly.

Not so sure about either of those examples.

Dom was still basically considered the uncrowned Champ having never lost the belt as well as being regarded as the best in the division and Bendo clearly won the first Frankie fight, he clearly lost the rematch though, haha.

Speaking of Frankie, if Grey didn't beat him convincingly in their second fight ( first for the belt) I don't know what beating a Champ convincingly looks like.

Round 1 should have been a 10-7, RD.2 a 10-8. Yeah Frankie came back and out volumed him in the second half if the fight but not enough too make up for the shit kicking he took in RD.1 or the 1 sided beating in RD.2.

Nobody ever really talks about that fight but it's got too be one of if not the biggest Robbery in title fight history.

I agree many fans would have considered Dom an uncrowned Champ but I very much doubt that any of the judges would have been operating with the same perspective. They observed TJ entering the ring with the belt and as a result would have viewed him as champion and Dom as the challenger and still Dom was able to edge that very tight contest.

And I agree that Bendo won the first fight against Frankie but it was certainly close enough to justify a Frankie win based on this notion that you have to defeat the champ more than he has to defeat the the challenger which I just don't see.

You last point I agree with. The thing is the fight game has a scoring system but people prioritize different components of the scoring system based on their preference and that's were the variation comes in. I don't think there is any bias for champions among judges and would link reigning champions tending to win close fights to the difference in championship fight experience and knowledge of reigning champions that most often have a better understanding of how to subtly steal rounds, what types of shots to throw to catch the judges eye, knowing when they need to go for take downs, knowing how to pace themselves and control a fight, knowing when they can take time off to rest and win they need to push etc.... Imo Its the difference in championship level experience and fight IQ that wins these close fights. Dom vs Cruz is a very good example of this actually.

Back