Dominick Cruz bashes USADA for IV ban

Sooo he's upset that he can't dehydrate himself to the point of needing an IV? What I got from this is he's afraid of 145ers.
no, IVs were even safer

yea i've been wondering. how do they actually know if you used an iv or not?

An IV drip leaves behind traces of the plastic bag that can be picked up from USADA testing. From what I understand tho the plastic used is pretty widespread, so not sure how they discern. Sounds like a question for @dimspace lol

Giant weight cutters like Cruz will finally start fighting at their more natural weight classes. Can't wait for the new CA ban

LOL @ all these kids who have never done a sport in their life cry about weight cutting

The IV ban wasn't the greatest of idea's I agree, that wasn't the right move

The right move in my opinion is the banning of weight cutting and we are starting to see that take place in some places. There is no advantage to be gained from it if nobody is allowed to do it and we won't see guys drawn out on fight night trying to gain a size advantage anymore

I like Dom and he is a very intelligent fighter, but I don't agree with anything he said. He even said that being able to cut a lot of weight is part what makes you a champion, I'm sorry but that's bullshit. He said himself that he learned how to perfect the weight cut with years learning about his body and struggling, that shouldn't be necessary in the first place for someone to fight.
That shouldn't be necessary, but you are talking in theory, he's dealing with reality. And the reality is If you don't master weight cutting you are getting your ass kicked. There is no easy solution to this.

An IV drip leaves behind traces of the plastic bag that can be picked up from USADA testing. From what I understand tho the plastic used is pretty widespread, so not sure how they discern. Sounds like a question for @dimspace lol

They were putting together a test for plasticizers (the chemicals used to soften plastic) DEHP. Test got abandoned a couple of years ago, WADA pulled funding. issues with the fact that DEHP is found in food packaging, water bottles, plastic wrap etc.

Theres no validated test for "plastics" at the moment. But there are ways of detecting IV use, mainly in the blood profiling part of the bio passport.

I knew I had read about the common presence of the compounds. Thanks as always man. You deserve a job running this shit lol

Fight people your own size

I hate watching two 170 fighters fight when they each weigh 190+

Your example is two people fighting people their own size! By your logic if someone chose not to cut weight, they would weigh in at 170, and still weigh 170 by fight time, but the opponent that did cut weight will be weighing 190 by fight time? Good plan!

Speaking both as a former fighter and a paramedic familiar with starting IV's on myself for fluids:

The IV ban is fucking stupid. Of all the shit to ban, fucking saline shouldn't be one of them.

They were putting together a test for plasticizers (the chemicals used to soften plastic) DEHP. Test got abandoned a couple of years ago, WADA pulled funding. issues with the fact that DEHP is found in food packaging, water bottles, plastic wrap etc.

Theres no validated test for "plastics" at the moment. But there are ways of detecting IV use, mainly in the blood profiling part of the bio passport.

So they can tell for sure and suspend you if you used IV?

Wouldn't that make them the same size?

Pretending to fight for a weight class they don't belong in.
It's a fucking lie.

Two of the best 155lbs fighters in the world... NOPE.

Maybe Dom's ligaments wouldn't be so fucking brittle if he weren't dehydrating to make weight?

Wouldn't that make them the same size?
That's not the point. Don't talk about you're the WW champ but you weigh 195 when you're actually fighting. I hate weight cutting and have been an advocate of same day weigh ins for a while now. I'm not hating the players either. Guys that cut big amounts of weight are just playing the game. But don't call a guy a midget than turn into a starving Ethiopian trying to make weight to fight him.

That's why guys like Frankie and Machida should be respected. They want walk around at the weight they fight at. Or at least they use to anyway when they were fighting at 155 and 205.

First time I've disagreed with Cruz. I know he cuts weight but I figured he would be against it and just did it because everyone else did.

Why are guys so terrified of fighting at their walk around weight if everyone else will be doing the same?

Your example is two people fighting people their own size! By your logic if someone chose not to cut weight, they would weigh in at 170, and still weigh 170 by fight time, but the opponent that did cut weight will be weighing 190 by fight time? Good plan!
No my plan would be same day weigh ins. Ban cutting more than 10 pounds of their walk around weight. People shouldn't fight at 170 if on weigh in day they have to kill themselves to make 170 than at the actually they weigh 190+. Fight at MW stupid.

I'm all for seeing guys fight at natural weights.

Back