Dominick Cruz bashes USADA for IV ban

No my plan would be same day weigh ins. Ban cutting more than 10 pounds of their walk around weight. People shouldn't fight at 170 if on weigh in day they have to kill themselves to make 170 than at the actually they weigh 190+. Fight at MW stupid.

I'm all for seeing guys fight at natural weights.

Good luck enforcing that.

First time I've disagreed with Cruz. I know he cuts weight but I figured he would be against it and just did it because everyone else did.

Why are guys so terrified of fighting at their walk around weight if everyone else will be doing the same?
Trust me when I say stuff would be a lot different. Guys would have different records, we'd have different champs, the entire sport would be changed.

I like Dom and he is a very intelligent fighter, but I don't agree with anything he said. He even said that being able to cut a lot of weight is part what makes you a champion, I'm sorry but that's bullshit. He said himself that he learned how to perfect the weight cut with years learning about his body and struggling, that shouldn't be necessary in the first place for someone to fight.
is he a champion?

Weight cutting is stupid, look at the story w/ Big Rig v. Wonderboy.

"OMG CAN BIG RIG MAKE WEIGHT?????"

That's like a waste of a headline. Thank the lord it's now replaced with,

"OMG BIG RIG GOT OUTCLASSED LIKE RONDA"

At least that is newsworthy, rather than seeing if Big Rig could follow a Jenny Craig diet.

So they can tell for sure and suspend you if you used IV?

IV detection isnt really an exact science, but certainly introducing large amounts of liquid into the bloodstream will effect your blood profile and so would show up on the biological passport, but suspension and charge would be more likely on a "biopassport variation" basis than "you used an iv" basis.

In other words, athlete is told, your blood numbers are screwy, they shouldnt look like this, you are being charged with a blood passport violation unless you can explain the numbers.

There is rumours that USADA has been working on a new plasticizer test, but if they are its self funded, not wada funded, and nothings been made public yet.

Good luck enforcing that.
If I was a millionaire and could start my own promotion I would. But I'm not. I'm a regular guy that in hs weighed 173 and wrestled 187 and had fun tossing bigger guys.

Did not expect Cruz to be one of the fighters complaining about this tbh.

Like it or not, the time for them to start fighting at their natural weight classes is coming, and I for one am all for it.

Trust me when I say stuff would be a lot different. Guys would have different records, we'd have different champs, the entire sport would be changed.

I think one big thing people don't mention would be how different the bodies would look. Guys aren't going to look like models and bodybuilders anymore. You're going to have some body fat and a lot of people might be turned off by that. Your average person might look and think MMA fighters aren't "real" athletes anymore because they aren't shredded. Guys are shredded because they are dehydrated and then put back on a ton of weigh the next night. That look doesn't last.

Expect a lot of Gunnar Nelsons (who doesn't cut) if the IV and dehydration ban goes nationwide.

UFCGunnarNelson.jpg

Weight cutting is stupid, look at the story w/ Big Rig v. Wonderboy.

"OMG CAN BIG RIG MAKE WEIGHT?????"

That's like a waste of a headline. Thank the lord it's now replaced with,

"OMG BIG RIG GOT OUTCLASSED LIKE RONDA"

At least that is newsworthy, rather than seeing if Big Rig could follow a Jenny Craig diet.

Cruz is right though. If you don't even know how to cut weight properly then you're not going to be a champ for a very long time.

They would most likely strip you for missing weight in a championship fight too.

First time I've disagreed with Cruz. I know he cuts weight but I figured he would be against it and just did it because everyone else did.

Why are guys so terrified of fighting at their walk around weight if everyone else will be doing the same?

Because there's no such thing as "walking around weight". The weight these guys walk around out varies so much from fighter to fighter it's a meaningless term.

And everyone wouldn't be doing the same, or rather, everybody would be doing whatever was necessary to fight the smallest guys they could. Come up with a system, people are going to game it.

If two fighters are the same weight, I'd rather watch them fight without the added rigor of a tough weight cut immediately prior to the fight. If two fighters are not the same weight, then one of them is in the wrong weight class.

I understand the incentives for weight cutting. As a fan, it diminishes either the quality of the parity of a fight, or both.

I like Cruz but he can't see the forest for the trees here. Weight cutting is a pointless exercise, an utter waste of energy. Just because he's good at it and it gives him an advantage doesn't mean that it's part of being a champion, that's horseshit.

What a week!!!!!!

Totally agree with a Diaz, couldn't disagree more with Cruz.

What the hell has happened?????

The IV ban wasn't the greatest of idea's I agree, that wasn't the right move

The right move in my opinion is the banning of weight cutting and we are starting to see that take place in some places. There is no advantage to be gained from it if nobody is allowed to do it and we won't see guys drawn out on fight night trying to gain a size advantage anymore

Weight loss vs weigh cutting is impossible to test for.

iv ban means you cant drop weight as hard. It means people will cut less and that is important because that is where people get seriously hurt.

He can still cut as much as he did previously it just means he will recover worse and thereby the weight cut is less advantageous.

according to who? you? lol oh ok

Most people actually.

If he's talking about wrestling, great, bring in the weight cutting regulations that are in place in amateur wrestling, which don't exist in MMA. Hydration testing, establishing a minimum safe weight for each fighter...

Interesting . I had no idea wrestling had any type of weight cutting rules or guidelines.

Interesting . I had no idea wrestling had any type of weight cutting rules or guidelines.

Over 10 years ago 3-4 wrestlers died from excessive weight cutting in one year. They didn't eliminate weight cutting, but they brought in a lot of regulation to make it as safe as they could without totally fucking over the sport. Cuts like Rumble's to WW, or Conor to FW simply wouldn't fly.

I really wish they had the fighters step on a scale while they are getting Vaseline rubbed on their faces so we could see that after all of the dehydrating and rabbit food both fighters are the same fucking weight and we can put an end to this stupid nonsense.

I like Dom, but he's wrong. Massive weight cuts should have no place in the sport. If he's talking about wrestling, great, bring in the weight cutting regulations that are in place in amateur wrestling, which don't exist in MMA. Hydration testing, establishing a minimum safe weight for each fighter...

USADA has an IV ban for PED masking reasons, not because of the weight cut.

Didn't know this.

Back