Does Nick Quitting Tarnish The Diaz Bros Image ?

The topic is dicey

one only has to look at Roberto Duran

was he one of the greatest to ever do it? Absolutely

but we’ll always remember ‘no mas’
Duran suffered from psychological problems like Diaz does.

Nate always had more heart. Nick was better but could never have rallied after the beatings Nate took. He's essentially given up before, just nowhere near as obviously as this.

no, i don't believe that nate has more heart than nick. just go back to the diaz vs. daley fight. nick dug deep to come back and win.

nick just didn't want to be in there. i immediately knew he'd lose once he completely forgot to shake his team's hand or hug while they were putting vaseline on his face. he looked lost out there. and even still, he fought well for two rounds. pretty impressive given the fact that he hadn't fought in a long time. but i also have to be real. he looked a lot worse than i thought he'd look.

the guy has fought for a long time. it's time to hang up the gloves, and do something else.

No, not at all

Both bros are legends and legit bad ass. It's just the nature of the sport. You cannot get out for a few years, be in your late 30s and come back.

If you dont have that fire anymore, It's going to look bad. I consider this fight for Nick almost the same way I do for that stupid Liddell Ortiz fight a couple years ago. Shouldnt have happened but it doesnt tarnish their legacy at all.

GSP did it and won a title and he has a much softer reputation for being tough than Diaz does.

I think the Diaz Bros have alot of mental issues and Nick wasn't prepared to come back.

they are basically seen as badass tough guys with no quit in them; kill or be killed types who always give it 100% <{JustBleed}>

that's the image their fans have in their minds when thinking about the Diaz bros legacy in MMA.<{natewhut}><209Bitch>

does Nick quitting last night affect that perception of them at all? <{titihmm}>

no cause they go cry on twitter that they really won while losing an the diva army will eat it up.

Yes, Nate is now proven to be the superior Diaz Brother (I’ve thought Nate has had better wins and also is paid more) but Nate also basically goes into fights knowing he will likely lose and doesn’t seem to mind, while Nick gave in after throwing over 100 strikes each round and just got caught in the nose (reminded me or Rory) I don’t think that’s really quitting if your body just won’t respond.

I never understood the "toughness" foolishness. What is so tough about a fighter retiring early with brain damage and other serious injuries because he endured a vicious beating in a fight he was going to lose anyway. I would prefer to see more fighters and corners stopping fights where it is obvious the fighter has no chance. It is better to quit a round early and have a longer fight career than unnecessarily take a beating for a round or two.
No kidding. But some people here think they're fighting for Sherdogs approval lol

he looked overweight, fat, and slow. but he put up a good fight for as long as it lasted. he did as well as expected for the amount of time he's been gone from the sport.

if anything he put up a good showing and robbie looked good from it too. win win.

I blame the fans, they put nick on a pedestal. Let nick be nick
It’s not just his fans. It’s members on this site. They sit around licking thier lips for other fan favorites to lose at some point because their favorite fighter was on the wrong end of a highlight reel loss and just waiting to give it back. MMA fans are some of the worst fan bases around. We are all guilty in some sort though.

Yes, Nate is now proven to be the superior Diaz Brother (I’ve thought Nate has had better wins and also is paid more) but Nate also basically goes into fights knowing he will likely lose and doesn’t seem to mind, while Nick gave in after throwing over 100 strikes each round and just got caught in the nose (reminded me or Rory) I don’t think that’s really quitting if your body just won’t respond.
Yeah I think all that partying and shit wouldn't be good for a fighter's durability.. people pretend that was the same guy from back then in there.

what image?

they have given up before too

This wasn't fight shape Diaz. Nick's dad bod and bloated face along with the don't want to be here expression on his face made me fully expect him to just give up, even earlier. If Nick gets motivated and gets back in shape, we'll see a different version than what we just saw.

Yes. He failed to live up to his tough man persona.

He went out sad <36>

Back