Does lifting really makes your stronger ?

Without wanting to appear rude, maybe the people you can't beat are just better at judo than you?

Obviously they are better. I'm just saying that they are beating me the same way and the people I used to bear i still beat them the same way no difference

Did you forget to also get better at judo while you were getting stronger?

Started at 5 and I'm 36. Trained with the bestz trained in tsukuba University for 6 months. My room for improvement is over, this is my limit and of course I'm not ashamed about it, not elite level but pretty damn good that's for sure.

From another point, if a guy with high achievments in juniors/ youth intially can't won in adults division it isn't shame: it is different to compete with experienced mature adults if you are joungster 17-18-19-20 years old. You get some 25-27 y.o guy with considerably more experience on the mat and then.
---
Like with boxers, sorry, one stuff is to be junior champ, but when this guy get some 26 years old mature boxer in ring, this guy won him by points.
Also exibition style bout with 17 y.o vs 26 y.o boxer, older guy with experience had won this bout, despite this younger guy had better power.

Yeah I couldn't transition well, that's pretty common though.

OP really isn't as bad as some are saying. Re. strength, if you've been doing bro splits like I did when I used to compete Judo, you've increased strength in chest, shoulders, bis, tris, upper back, but that has limited carry-over to Judo if you're already strong from grappling IME. I didn't lift for an entire season and it didn't affect my performance. Those lifts will make you look better and feel more confident but that's about it, because gi grips nullify that advantage. Those lifts will have more carryover in no gi.

Lifts that WILL improve Judo performance are squats, deadlifts and the Olympic lifts if you can do them. I started doing them after I was done competing (BJJ hobbyist these days) and I really really wish I had done them when I was younger. The ability to easily squat 1.5 x bw makes throwing a guy your size a cakewalk. I feel much more stable and confident on my feet than before. And there's a reason pro fighters and elite grapplers do Olympic lifts. The improved explosion from cleans + increased strength you build from squats and DL will make entries and explosion into throws more effective.

Only thing that doesn't add up to me is 20 extra pounds not having ANY impact. Even if that was 100% fat gain, as long as you have solid fundamentals that should make you harder to takedown and give you 20 more pounds of ass to TD and control uke, as long as your cardio didn't fall off a cliff.

Don't get me wrong I was already physical strong, ive always squat and japanese pushups,. several ones and on the daily basis. Yes I'm doing deadlifts and Olympic lifts as well. All I'm saying is there I look stronger and much bigger but I don't feel a difference in judo nor bjj.

Not likely, if he added 20 lbs with lifting, most likely at least 10 lbs from these are muscles.

I have very little fat almost none. Im in a carnivore diet so I use all my fat for energy

Re bolded....lifting weights doesn't make you technically better at grappling. Seems like more mat time/drilling/sparring is what you need

Lol I never said I sucked. I said that I don't feel a difference in applied strength

I guess I'm the only one. Went up from 180 to 200 in muscle weigh and I don't feel any difference from my previous strength

Gaining mass isn't the same thing as gaining strength. If you stayed at 180, but had stronger movement patterns you would have noticed a difference.

Imagine how shitty your programming must be to even ask this question.

You're 36 years old and went from 180 to 200 lbs in 8 months and it was all muscle?

Yeah, sounds pretty typical.

There is really no sense is saying strength has no carryover to athletic movements. If you want to be a weaker human then just don't lift weights and the problem will solve itself. The only way strength becomes a detriment is if the acquisition of that strength is overriding your ability to recover from sport practice or you are devoting too much time to strength and not on other important qualities.

they are beating me the same way and the people I used to bear i still beat them the same way no difference
What does this mean? You've said this several times and I'm confused about what you mean by it.

Also my guess is your lifting regimen could use a tune up, what program are you using? How much have your lifts improved over the last 8 months? Let's look at some specifics.

Building strength is only as useful as being able to apply it. If you get significantly bigger and stronger but it doesn't improve your ability, the key variable there is you.

Seems like TS is getting a little needlessly attacked for relaying his personal experience. He lifted weights, including squats and oly lifts apparently, got stronger in the lifts but didn't see any carryover to his sport. It happens, sometimes there simply isn't much of a carryover especially if you're a strong dude who's been training your entire life.

Lifting weights is beneficial for a variety of reasons, but it's not a magic bullet and sometimes the transfers are minimal depending on the sport and attributes of the athlete. Obviously, someone who really knows what they are doing could make an individually tailored program, but even with that there are cases where the effects on performance are marginal. And I say that as someone who would always advocate for some sort of strength training no matter who you are.

Last edited:
Back