Does lifting really makes your stronger ?

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm a judo guy, started at 5 yr old and won third twice in jr nationals, failed at adult nationals and won a couple of California state games. Anyways the fact of the matter is that ive athletic my entire life but never lifted anything ever until 8 months now, im bigger and more bulky and I started this just for looks.

I guess this is not a question but just a confirmation that at least in my case I don't feel stronger at all whatsoever. I look stronger but I'm not i can promise you that, I don't feel any extra advantage in Judo or BJJ.

It depends on the program you use but regardless you should see some difference otherwise you aren't doing it correctly.

The most likely explanation is you aren't going heavy enough - low reps/high weights like 5x5 are a solid starting point.
Stick to compound movements and use weights that will cause you to fail towards the end of your session. If you are doing say 5 reps aside from the first or second set you shouldn't be able to do a 6th rep if you tried.

There are a lot of good options here: https://legionathletics.com/strength-training-plan/

Most high level judokas I know (infact all of them) strength train, I'm guessing there is a good reason for that. All things being equal and all that....

If you lifted for vanity and used a bodybuilding split then it's no real surprise you aren't seeing a lot of carryover into your skilled training. Something more sport specific or at the very least geared towards strength gains over hypertrophy would have benefited you a lot more.

I'm a judo guy, started at 5 yr old and won third twice in jr nationals, failed at adult nationals and won a couple of California state games. Anyways the fact of the matter is that ive athletic my entire life but never lifted anything ever until 8 months now, im bigger and more bulky and I started this just for looks.

I guess this is not a question but just a confirmation that at least in my case I don't feel stronger at all whatsoever. I look stronger but I'm not i can promise you that, I don't feel any extra advantage in Judo or BJJ.

What specifically do you do for strength training?

Can you give us the split you use, exercises, sets/reps, etc...doesn't have to be exact...

Some people think doing a few sets of high rep curls and push ups a couple times a week counts as a strength training program.

I've lifted and did jits for years and even my sensei said I was always strong but the difference in rolling was noticeable when I started taking lifting more seriously. Granted you shouldn't begin grappling using only strength and ditching technique because you're stronger. Use strength to augment your technical game and you'll demolish people.

focus on progessive overload and you will get a lot stronger

Train like 99% of the people in commercial gyms and you will only get slightly stronger, unless you use steroids

When it came to boxing, I didn’t notice any carryovers from strength training. I would front squat, overhead press, and deadlift. I definitely got stronger, but I felt way too stiff for boxing.

When it came to boxing, I didn’t notice any carryovers from strength training. I would front squat, overhead press, and deadlift. I definitely got stronger, but I felt way too stiff for boxing.

You know those things aren't related, right?

I guess I'm the only one. Went up from 180 to 200 in muscle weigh and I don't feel any difference from my previous strength

Unless you gained nothing but fat, you should have gotten proportionately stronger gaining 11% of your bodyweight.

How did you go about gaining weight? What did you do?

Did you have a way to measure/compare your gym strength gains(lift numbers) versus your judo performance(wins/finishes)?

I guess I'm the only one. Went up from 180 to 200 in muscle weigh and I don't feel any difference from my previous strength

I dont know what to say dude. I workout all the time and Im strong as fuck. Works for a lot of people.

Seriously though if this is true you have been following a shit routine probably one of the worst ever. Im not shitting you, if you've trained for 8 months, gained 20 pounds and are not stronger, its a shit routine and you owe it to yourself to educate yourself and get a better program going.

Unless that's just a weird camera angle, FFS switch it up by using your left hand sometimes.

879985d3199f0cb0753287b9d6cd12f2.jpg

Back