Does lifting really makes your stronger ?

Seriously though if this is true you have been following a shit routine probably one of the worst ever. Im not shitting you, if you've trained for 8 months, gained 20 pounds and are not stronger, its a shit routine and you owe it to yourself to educate yourself and get a better program going.

If by stronger you mean if I can lift more, then yes or course I can lift more weight now.
What I mean is that the people who I cant beat i still can't. The people who I beat i still beat in the same manner. I haven't notice any difference in my performance, thats what I'm trying to say

If by stronger you mean if I can lift more, then yes or course I can lift more weight now.
What I mean is that the people who I cant beat i still can't. The people who I beat i still beat in the same manner. I haven't notice any difference in my performance, thats what I'm trying to say
Without wanting to appear rude, maybe the people you can't beat are just better at judo than you?

Did you forget to also get better at judo while you were getting stronger?

You know those things aren't related, right?

Hes right though that there isnt that much carry over to striking from strength training (more help in grappling)

That being said doing some once in a while might not hurt either

This tread is fucking disgusting.

I'm a judo guy, started at 5 yr old and won third twice in jr nationals, failed at adult nationals and won a couple of California state games.

I guess this is not a question but just a confirmation that at least in my case I don't feel stronger at all whatsoever.

If this really is truth, just change your S/C advisors/ trainer. ASAP.
& S/C training for grappling is specific and is done with special programms, in this level there should be normal trainers available too.

From another point, if a guy with high achievments in juniors/ youth intially can't won in adults division it isn't shame: it is different to compete with experienced mature adults if you are joungster 17-18-19-20 years old. You get some 25-27 y.o guy with considerably more experience on the mat and then.
---
Like with boxers, sorry, one stuff is to be junior champ, but when this guy get some 26 years old mature boxer in ring, this guy won him by points.
Also exibition style bout with 17 y.o vs 26 y.o boxer, older guy with experience had won this bout, despite this younger guy had better power.

When it came to boxing, I didn’t notice any carryovers from strength training.

I definitely got stronger, but I felt way too stiff for boxing.
Yes, some exercises make hands slower, but this can be well balanced, pros/ cons.
Strength sometimes wins boxing fights too and it matters a lot.
Ofc, if fight is in- out type, speed advantage is serious bonus.
Strength advantage comes as a bonus in close fight, clinches etc.
Like if shorter guy prefer to make close fight with his taller opponent in order not to allow him get enough space to use reach advantage.
With considerably phyiscally weaker opponent to press close fight too is common solution if he isn't worse and isn't slower, then strength advantage is stuff that remains to try to use.
Like with guy's gas tanks, if he does have high power but bad gas tank, solution is to work out his gas tank without getting damaged and then start real pressure- bang him.
If his gas tank is not worse than your, or God help if better, then this tactique isn't advisable.

Last edited:
Also there depends from pairs.
If one really is some 3rd or 5 th in level and there tournament is like with preliminary, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and final.
If they gave you some guy that is maybe 10 th in real level for preliminary, you manage to go to 1/8 and if there get a guy that is 6 th in real level, you again get to 1/4 and if there will get a guy that is some 7 th, you are in 1/2 final, this means usually bronze medal already. Or at least to compete for bronze medal with another guy.
--
If they gave in preliminary some 2 nd or 1 st guy, guy that really is even 3 rd didn't won him, and then………. Ok, there sometimes are so called chance bouts after this too, but if a guy is already tired and gets not bad opponent...
In large countries at nationals usually at least 16, most likely 32 or 64 judokas are competing, might be even more, for example in Japan...

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only one. Went up from 180 to 200 in muscle weigh and I don't feel any difference from my previous strength

OP really isn't as bad as some are saying. Re. strength, if you've been doing bro splits like I did when I used to compete Judo, you've increased strength in chest, shoulders, bis, tris, upper back, but that has limited carry-over to Judo if you're already strong from grappling IME. I didn't lift for an entire season and it didn't affect my performance. Those lifts will make you look better and feel more confident but that's about it, because gi grips nullify that advantage. Those lifts will have more carryover in no gi.

Lifts that WILL improve Judo performance are squats, deadlifts and the Olympic lifts if you can do them. I started doing them after I was done competing (BJJ hobbyist these days) and I really really wish I had done them when I was younger. The ability to easily squat 1.5 x bw makes throwing a guy your size a cakewalk. I feel much more stable and confident on my feet than before. And there's a reason pro fighters and elite grapplers do Olympic lifts. The improved explosion from cleans + increased strength you build from squats and DL will make entries and explosion into throws more effective.

Only thing that doesn't add up to me is 20 extra pounds not having ANY impact. Even if that was 100% fat gain, as long as you have solid fundamentals that should make you harder to takedown and give you 20 more pounds of ass to TD and control uke, as long as your cardio didn't fall off a cliff.

Last edited:
Hes right though that there isnt that much carry over to striking from strength training (more help in grappling)

To a certain point there is. I wouldn't hit as hard as I do if I never lifted weights. Of course skill training is of most importance for sports but weight lifting can be a good supplement.

To a certain point there is. I wouldn't hit as hard as I do if I never lifted weights. Of course skill training is of most importance for sports but weight lifting can be a good supplement.

For me it didnt have any effect on punching power.

Mainly i was able to take hits better

For me it didnt have any effect on punching power.

Mainly i was able to take hits better

IMO the most underrated benefit of lifting weights. All else being equal, a strength-trained dude is more durable and resistant to injury. Even ignoring the obvious benefits of being stronger, a dude who lifts weights is fucking hard to put away by any means, whether by KO, slam or submission.

It doesn’t take much investment to be strong enough for combat sports. Anything past newbie gains is fantastic but just focusing on increasing the weights is usually a bad idea past a certain point(very early maybe a few months of proper barbell training)

Once strength requirments are met yes you still want to do strength training but you will want to include explosive work, aerobic capacity work and befor competitions you will want to peak and deload the strength work while increase your alactate capacity.

In short you don’t train like a bodybuilder .org strength athlete for optimal performance in combat sports.

He mentioned he was stiff. That's what I commented on.

Everyone in this thread can lift more than Ryan Hall, but none of you are gonna beat him in a MMA fight.
tuf22fin_09_hall_vs_lobov_008.jpg

Re bolded....lifting weights doesn't make you technically better at grappling. Seems like more mat time/drilling/sparring is what you need

Seconded ...going from zero to 3 days a week ive noticed improvements in grip strength, pulling, and leg strength

But again if he's added lifting at the expense of mat time then the trade off isn't worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back