Does COVID-19 change MMA and sports forever?

I'm not trying to start an argument here...or "troll"...but your post describes the yearly flu exactly. For some reason, people think dying from the flu is a walk in the park compared to the corona-cold.
does it make you feel better to call the covid-19 disease a cold?

edit: not picking on you because you didn't post it disrespectfully but covid-19 is not a cold.

If I were a business owner of a BJJ (or any) gym, I'd be really worried too. On a micro level, their business is in real risk.

But on a macro level....virtually no change. Consider, if 3/4 of the gyms in my city go out of business, 11-22 year olds who really want to make a go of this thing will still find a gym to train in.

does it make you feel better to call the covid-19 disease a cold?

edit: not picking on you because you didn't post it disrespectfully but covid-19 is not a cold.
coronaviruses are colds

"The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.[29][30] Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%),[31][32] "

for what it's worth...

If I were a business owner of a BJJ (or any) gym, I'd be really worried too. On a micro level, their business is in real risk.

But on a micro level....virtually no change. Consider, if 3/4 of the gyms in my city go out of business, 11-22 year olds who really want to make a go of this thing will still find a gym to train in.
personally i don't think the bjj demographic is going to be the one the most impacted from behavioral changes from a virus threat...

But on a micro level....virtually no change. Consider, if 3/4 of the gyms in my city go out of business, 11-22 year olds who really want to make a go of this thing will still find a gym to train in.
I am sure you meant to write macro the second time.

I think that our generation will have to deal with these viruses.
We have no wars and we live in relative prosperity, but we will have viruses.

Mother Nature want us dead, we are already 7,5 billion and growing.

This one is called SARS COV-2, but we can be sure that at some point there will be SARS COV-3 and so on.

personally i don't think the bjj demographic is going to be the one the most impacted from behavioral changes from a virus threat...
Well, a lot of those Gracie franchise gyms with ridiculous franchise fees are sure gonna go out of business....but that's probably about it. And they probably should anyway.

coronaviruses are colds

"The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.[29][30] Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%),[31][32] "

for what it's worth...
sorry, that does not mean covid-19 is a cold. some flu's are characterized as colds too.....that doesn't mean if you have the flu you have a cold.

if you want to rely on wiki:
Six species of human coronaviruses are known, with one species subdivided into two different strains, making seven strains of human coronaviruses altogether. Four of these strains produce the generally mild symptoms of the common cold:

1. Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43), of the genus β-CoV
  2. Human coronavirus HKU1 (HCoV-HKU1), β-CoV, its genome has 75% similarity to OC43[39]
  3. Human coronavirus 229E (HCoV-229E), α-CoV
  4. Human coronavirus NL63 (HCoV-NL63), α-CoV
Three strains (two species) produce symptoms that are potentially severe; all three of these are β-CoV strains:

1. Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
  2. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV)
  3. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
some coronavirus cause colds. one causes the disease covid-19.

I'm still paying my BJJ gym fees even though I can't train because I know if I don't I won't have a gym to go back to. A lot of people are doing the same I think. My job isn't in any danger though, if I'd lost my income it'd be a different story.

Doctors are mostly incompetent. They are killing people by putting them on ventilators.

sorry, that does not mean covid-19 is a cold. some flu's are characterized as colds too.....that doesn't mean if you have the flu you have a cold.

if you want to rely on wiki:
Six species of human coronaviruses are known, with one species subdivided into two different strains, making seven strains of human coronaviruses altogether. Four of these strains produce the generally mild symptoms of the common cold:

1. Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43), of the genus β-CoV
  2. Human coronavirus HKU1 (HCoV-HKU1), β-CoV, its genome has 75% similarity to OC43[39]
  3. Human coronavirus 229E (HCoV-229E), α-CoV
  4. Human coronavirus NL63 (HCoV-NL63), α-CoV
Three strains (two species) produce symptoms that are potentially severe; all three of these are β-CoV strains:

1. Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
  2. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV)
  3. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
some coronavirus cause colds. one causes the disease covid-19.
I don't want to "rely" on wiki...that's why I said "for what it's worth." If you prefer that I call Coldvid-19 "the flu" or a "bad cold" instead, I have no problem with that.

You've already missed the point of my post with another member...his descriptors of the illness fit the flu exactly.

"If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck."

A few people that I know in the BJJ world with schools are really concerned that it will change the business forever. Even when things begin to reopen, less people will go to BJJ class because it has so much physical contact. People will also be hurting financially and wont have as much time to pay for BJJ.

I guess this applies to MMA gyms, boxing gyms, or anything that has heavy physical contact.

Public gatherings might be limited. Shit they are already talking about stopping hand shaking.

If gyms start to close down, then less fighters will be able to participate in the sport. There are enough gyms and fighters currently to keep things running for a while, but what about 5 years from now? A mix of these things could lead to a downscaling of the sport. Less cards, smaller venues, smaller talent pool.

Life Lesson 101: If you want financial security, make sure your vocation = what people NEED (e.g., food, gasoline, medicine, transportation, etc.).

If your vocation is a "want" ... or "an accessory" ... these superfluous baubles are the first things people will DROP in the time of crises.

I don't want to "rely" on wiki...that's why I said "for what it's worth." If you prefer that I call Coldvid-19 "the flu" or a "bad cold" instead, I have no problem with that.

You've already missed the point of my post with another member...his descriptors of the illness fit the flu exactly.

"If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck."
i'd prefer you call it covid-19, which is the official name of the disease caused by the sars-cov-2 virus. it's not a cold, it's not the flu. it's a unique. any other characterization is unfair. sars was not a cold. mers was not a cold. covid-19 is not a cold.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...ase-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

i'd prefer you call it covid-19, which is the official name of the disease caused by the sars-cov-2 virus. it's not a cold, it's not the flu. it's a unique. any other characterization is unfair. sars was not a cold. mers was not a cold. covid-19 is not a cold.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...ase-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it
You've sidestepped my points entirely. Is it deliberate? Your argument is akin to not referring to a specific model of Mercedes Benz convertible as a car because it's unique. Any other characterization is unfair.

By your logic, every mutation of the flu should also be referred to by its official name. Thus, whenever you have a cold I would prefer you refer to it as having "HCoV-OC43."

I'd also enjoy hearing your argument as to the differences among a "cold," the "flu," and a "disease."

You've sidestepped my points entirely. Is it deliberate? Your argument is akin to not referring to a specific model of Mercedes Benz convertible as a car because it's unique. Any other characterization is unfair.

By your logic, every mutation of the flu should also be referred to by its official name. Thus, whenever you have a cold I would prefer you refer to it as having "HCoV-OC43."

I'd also enjoy hearing your argument as to the differences among a "cold," the "flu," and a "disease."
you seemed to miss that hcov-0c43 is listed as a coronavirus that causes colds.

except covid-19 is not a type of "cold". don't refer to a mercedes benz e300 as a boat when it's a car.

mers was a strain of coronavirus. it killed over 30% of the people who got it. is there any point in associating it with a common cold just because some coronavirus cause colds?

you seemed to miss that hcov-0c43 is listed as a coronavirus that causes colds.

except covid-19 is not a type of "cold". don't refer to a mercedes benz e300 as a boat when it's a car.
You continue to not address the linguistic concept that a signifier leads to a signified.

Umm, its already changed everything. Like 9/11, there is pre-Corona and there is going to be post-Corona.

Back