Does COVID-19 change MMA and sports forever?

Once decent treatments and ultimately an effective vaccine are available, life will get slowly back to normal

Well I'm not going out and exchanging saliva with random chicks at raves, whilst high on MDMA anymore, well at least till the situation has calmed down.

I've had the virus anyway.........it's not nice......

Not forever. A vaccine is probably 10-12 months away (if they get past clinical trials quickly).

Once a vaccine is widely available, everyone will be able to do all the same close contact activities they used to without much fear.

In the short term though, before that, yes, many businesses are fucked, and not just limited to MMA and combat sports. We are going to go into a massive global recession and depression because of Covid-19.

One way to help contact sports and activities before a vaccine is here, is easy availablelity for a Covid-19 test that anyone can pick up from a chemist or drugstore. If everyone can take a quick test before training in gyms or dojos (and everyone has to declare the result), that should go a long way to making people feel safer and less exposed.
"We are going into a massive global recession and depression because of Covid-19. No we aren't. We are going into a massive recession and depression because of the response to Covid-19. Sweden is doing fine. The businesses are open and nobody is panicking. They are taking precautions (especially the elderly and sick) but things are almost normal there. The economics of this is a bigger issue and not for this board. The vaccine will make some people a lot of money (Bill Gates?) but vaccines aren't great for viruses (the flu vaccine sucks). It will make all the panicky people feel better and allow the U.S. and other countries to return to a more "normal" state of affairs. I guess if the panicked feel better and people profit off it that's what has to happen here. The bailouts associated with this are also "Number One Bullshit". Adam Smith is rolling over in his grave. The only fun thing to happen in this process is watching that Evil Mouse from Orlando take out his penis and pee all over Dana.

Probably not forever but I don't think we will have any major sports at least in the United States for another two years or more. I don't know if the UFC can survive that kind of drought and most of the fighters will probably have moved on.
no way it takes that long

A few people that I know in the BJJ world with schools are really concerned that it will change the business forever. Even when things begin to reopen, less people will go to BJJ class because it has so much physical contact. People will also be hurting financially and wont have as much time to pay for BJJ.

I guess this applies to MMA gyms, boxing gyms, or anything that has heavy physical contact.

Public gatherings might be limited. Shit they are already talking about stopping hand shaking.

If gyms start to close down, then less fighters will be able to participate in the sport. There are enough gyms and fighters currently to keep things running for a while, but what about 5 years from now? A mix of these things could lead to a downscaling of the sport. Less cards, smaller venues, smaller talent pool.
Everything is affected by this FUCKING Virus

it will be business as usual as soons as the next season start, same with everything, as soon as bars and restaurants re open they will be pack 24/7,
i don't they really think there is a lot of people who are actually scared of this, people stay inside because they've been told too, as soon as they're told it's okay to go back out, they will

Even when things begin to reopen, less people will go to BJJ class because it has so much physical contact. People will also be hurting financially and wont have as much time to pay for BJJ.
You're talking about a few months after the virus is gone - at most a year.

To consider that people would be scared of physical contact "forever" is a massive overreaction.

It will change many aspects of life, including MMA in the short term. But eventually, a vaccination will be developed and it will become much less a threat.

Not forever, but in the immediate future yes it will, the effect could last for 2 years, but after that the world will move in like always and will be a distant memory

Sports in general will take a huge hit.

Movie streaming platforms and video games are gonna thrive though as primary sources of cheap and safe entertainment.
I hear fatness overload. We're gonna need people to not be as active and stay inside in front TV.

I have no respect for pussies scared of a fucking cold.
I have no respect for people who call others pussies, but won't even show their face or give their name when they do so. The real coward is the man who hides behind a tree while shouting "pussies" at strangers.

You used the word "forever," then picked five years as your long-term range. I suppose you have to realize how hyperbolic you're being?

Already people are ignoring social distancing guidelines, and the virus is still in full force. Everyone is itching to get back to normal life. Businesses may take a couple of quarters to bounce back financially, but I guarantee you not only will people be patronizing them, but we'll see a boom as soon as the lockdown restrictions are lifted and people rush out to binge all the things they couldn't do before. If the effects of this last beyond 2020, I'd be surprised.

Even if things changed for a decade, or a century, that's still nowhere near forever.

"We are going into a massive global recession and depression because of Covid-19. No we aren't. We are going into a massive recession and depression because of the response to Covid-19. Sweden is doing fine. The businesses are open and nobody is panicking. They are taking precautions (especially the elderly and sick) but things are almost normal there. The economics of this is a bigger issue and not for this board. The vaccine will make some people a lot of money (Bill Gates?) but vaccines aren't great for viruses (the flu vaccine sucks). It will make all the panicky people feel better and allow the U.S. and other countries to return to a more "normal" state of affairs. I guess if the panicked feel better and people profit off it that's what has to happen here. The bailouts associated with this are also "Number One Bullshit". Adam Smith is rolling over in his grave. The only fun thing to happen in this process is watching that Evil Mouse from Orlando take out his penis and pee all over Dana.

Someone in my work place was killed by Covid-19, he was close to retirement but he was in good enough shape to recover from a bad Flu but Covid-19 got him, killed him in 11 days.

Governments are not as worried about this version of it, it's what it might mutate into, it could go either way.

Look at the Spanish Flu and tell me we couldn't have a repeat of that.

This is not the worlds first pandemic it's probably the first most of us as been through, although I was around for SARS and that was scary too but it didn't shut things down the world globally like this. COVID-19 I think will change how we act socially for awhile but for sports I don't see much change, I think the change will come from those who are watching and attending.

Last edited:
This thing will eventually become another form of the flu. It won't become a constant worrisome thing. Vaccines and immune systems improve with time. Short-term impact will show, already does.

vaccines aren't great for viruses (the flu vaccine sucks).

The reason the flu vaccine isn't perfect is because there are a number of viruses that cause flu symptoms, and each year the "flu vaccine" is just a cocktail of vaccines that represent health professionals' best guess as to which strains will be most dominant that year.

Compare that with COVID-19, which is a very specific strain of coronavirus (as the name indicates). A vaccine for that is going to be as effective as a vaccine for any other specific virus; measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, rabies and plenty more are all viruses, and their vaccines work overwhelmingly well.

Someone in my work place was killed by Covid-19, he was close to retirement but he was in good enough shape to recover from a bad Flu but Covid-19 got him, killed him in 11 days.

Governments are not as worried about this version of it, it's what it might mutate into, it could go either way.

Look at the Spanish Flu and tell me we couldn't have a repeat of that.
"Look at the Spanish Flu and tell me we couldn't have a repeat of that"
I won't tell you that but I will tell you that Sweden is doing ok There was a local baseball legend a couple of towns over from who dropped dead at 30. During these things you will have a few 'outliers' like that but mostly it's the sick and elderly. I'm sorry for his loss and your co-worker. I'm for a more measured approach.

"Look at the Spanish Flu and tell me we couldn't have a repeat of that"
I won't tell you that but I will tell you that Sweden is doing ok There was a local baseball legend a couple of towns over from who dropped dead at 30. During these things you will have a few 'outliers' like that but mostly it's the sick and elderly. I'm sorry for his loss and your co-worker. I'm for a more measured approach.

Maybe the Swedish don't have problems following basic rules, pity some other cultures can't do the same.......;)

Last edited:
Maybe the Swedish don't have problems following basic rules, pity some other cultures can't do the same.......;)
From everything I read it's an orderly society. I won't defend my point in detail because it's impossible to do without causing a firestorm. I will say we don't have that here in the U.S.

Back