Does COVID-19 change MMA and sports forever?

i hope it makes mma go away so sherdog can go back to being a nice hapkido forum

We've had up and downs in the economy for ever regardless of reasons for it. In most cases the economy recovered even stronger. Short term effects, of course. Long term say a two years from now, it will be like nothing happen for most.

no, not forever. when enough of the world population is immune, either through infection (assuming long-term immunity can be established) or a future vaccine, large gatherings will be just as they were before. its just going to be quite some time until that is the reality.

this isnt the first pandemic humanity has faced. just that for much of the current population, this is the first pandemic that has seriously effected their day to day lives.

Not forever, economically the problems have nothing to do with Covid. They were coming regardless but the strangulation of the market by the disease has just sped the crash up by a year or so in 3 months.

Jiu jitsu is a sport of passion so I doubt it will sway too many away from it in the end. But financially more people are going to be strapped but that applies to every industry. 10 million in a america out of work already, 20 - 40% of SMEs closing in the next 2-3 months. 160 million were employed. The sovereignty of currencies around the world is gone.

"Look at the Spanish Flu and tell me we couldn't have a repeat of that"
I won't tell you that but I will tell you that Sweden is doing ok There was a local baseball legend a couple of towns over from who dropped dead at 30. During these things you will have a few 'outliers' like that but mostly it's the sick and elderly. I'm sorry for his loss and your co-worker. I'm for a more measured approach.
Sweden are doing OK for now, but they haven't flattened the curve and thus we don't know what sort of scenario, they'll end up in. Things in Sweden aren't bad, but they are getting worse day by day.

A few people that I know in the BJJ world with schools are really concerned that it will change the business forever. Even when things begin to reopen, less people will go to BJJ class because it has so much physical contact. People will also be hurting financially and wont have as much time to pay for BJJ.

I guess this applies to MMA gyms, boxing gyms, or anything that has heavy physical contact.

Public gatherings might be limited. Shit they are already talking about stopping hand shaking.

If gyms start to close down, then less fighters will be able to participate in the sport. There are enough gyms and fighters currently to keep things running for a while, but what about 5 years from now? A mix of these things could lead to a downscaling of the sport. Less cards, smaller venues, smaller talent pool.

a good friend of mine and the owner of the gym i train at posts every day about how hes worried about the future of the gym and other gyms. its definitely not looking good.. i thik when the dust settles the adult classes with return to somewhat normal levels.. but the kiddie classes which is a huge part of the income will definitely lose alot of students.

From everything I read it's an orderly society. I won't defend my point in detail because it's impossible to do without causing a firestorm. I will say we don't have that here in the U.S.

I'm from the UK and live in London, multiculturalism doesn't work. It does absolutely nothing for commonality and just creates ghettos.

Forever is a long time. There have been worse epidemics and pandemics in human history than COVID-19, yet up till COVID-19 hit the world developed as it did. I think things will get back to pre-COVID-19 normalcy eventually. Maybe it'll take a year or two though. People are highly social creatures, the majority of them live and are active in areas and arenas where there are a lot of people around, so they'll naturally gravitate towards going back to living the kinds of lives they were living before COVID-19. It may be a slow and cautious return, but that's the direction it will go. That is our nature, and that is how our societies and systems are set up.

Of course things will eventually return to some kind of normalcy, but if it takes a year or two, there are a lot of gyms/orgs that may not survive. UFC will, but could be hit hard if there isn't a quick bounce back.

Also, a lot of folks are gonna find they're permanently unemployed at the end of this when the places they work for go under. That means fewer people to pay for casual training at MMA/boxing/martiial arts gyms, fewer people with expendable money for seats at events, or to buy PPVs or subscriptions. This is gonna take a chunk out of the US and global economy long term, regardless of the stimulus packages governments pass.

Condit and Conor were visionaries in applying social distancing measures to counter a global pandemic.

diaz-brothers-ufc.jpg

Sweden are doing OK for now, but they haven't flattened the curve and thus we don't know what sort of scenario, they'll end up in. Things in Sweden aren't bad, but they are getting worse day by day.

Sweden isn't doing better than Norway or Denmark.
Their excuse about care homes you can believe or not but it's not like Sweden is business as usual. Gatherings of 50+ are banned, secondary schools and universities are closed. Social distancing is advised.

A few people that I know in the BJJ world with schools are really concerned that it will change the business forever. Even when things begin to reopen, less people will go to BJJ class because it has so much physical contact. People will also be hurting financially and wont have as much time to pay for BJJ.

I guess this applies to MMA gyms, boxing gyms, or anything that has heavy physical contact.

Public gatherings might be limited. Shit they are already talking about stopping hand shaking.

If gyms start to close down, then less fighters will be able to participate in the sport. There are enough gyms and fighters currently to keep things running for a while, but what about 5 years from now? A mix of these things could lead to a downscaling of the sport. Less cards, smaller venues, smaller talent pool.
It has to. I think businesses like this will be hit even harder than bars and restaurants. Like you said, discretionary income will fall sharply and the health concerns make it too risky.

I feel really bad. TKD and Karate mom and pops will be hit just as hard

We let the elites use a low grade virus to fundamentally change our society and take our rights away. The lot of you should be embarrassed and ashamed of yourselves. A bunch of subservient pussies.

I feel the same way. Until there is some type of vaccine out there, going to huge sporting events is out of the question for me. If and when sports comes back, I’ll just watch it at home but going to a place that has tends of thousands of people? Not a chance.

Sweden isn't doing better than Norway or Denmark.
Their excuse about care homes you can believe or not but it's not like Sweden is business as usual. Gatherings of 50+ are banned, secondary schools and universities are closed. Social distancing is advised.

No, they aren't doing better than Denmark and Norway. In fact, they are doing a lot worse, because both Denmark and Norway have not only flattened the curves, but seen a steady drop in cases. Things in Sweden aren't bad, but they are getting worse day by day. In Norway and Denmark things are for the moment getting better.

Maybe the Swedish don't have problems following basic rules, pity some other cultures can't do the same.......;)

I'm from the UK and live in London, multiculturalism doesn't work. It does absolutely nothing for commonality and just creates ghettos.

What like queuing up 2m apart?

Who were the people filmed in London parks? The rule breakers all looked pretty white to me so your point is moronic. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11326800/coronavirus-lockdown-advice-ignored-sun/
It's not like The Sun would miss an opportunity to shit on immigrants if they could.

I don't know or really care where you live in London but 'multiculturalism' seems to work just fine on my street anyway. Gentrification > ghettos, look at Peckham and Deptford now.

You don't eat Indian, Chinese, Italian, Mexican...... right, multiculturalism doesn't work. It's not like Christianity (or broadly Christian beliefs) is an British thing either, it was brought here by immigrants and the English language is just a mash up of French, Latin and Norse.

History proves you wrong.

Until a vaccine is available, it will change the way we socialize with other people and how we react if someone's having a infectious disease. We don't know for sure how long it will take but for sure it is changing the way we socialize.

One of the local high end wrestling clubs that charges 500 for a kid for the season is doing Zoom practices to avoid having to give refunds right now. My kids aren't old enough to join but I'd be so bitter if my kids were in it. Beings they aren't, oh well, hope it helps them keep afloat.

That "cold" is killing family members. That's the problem with this thing. It's a basically a lottery as to how hard it can hit you. A family of 4 can all get it....3 of them might get mild symptoms or none. But the 1 unlucky family member that gets it hard can end up in ICU, being intubated and fighting for their life.

The virus is mutating as well. When it was hitting China first, we were mostly hearing that only over 70's and those with underlying health conditions were fatalities. Now we are seeing much younger people and those with no known underlying health conditions dying.

People do not want to risk getting this virus and giving it to someone who it may hit hard.
I'm not trying to start an argument here...or "troll"...but your post describes the yearly flu exactly. For some reason, people think dying from the flu is a walk in the park compared to the corona-cold.

can anyone dictate the future? (hint: no)

Its gonna be overboard,when the bars and shit start opening again

people gonna be fucking in the streets.

NYC is going to be insane
i'll be there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back