Does cold water immersion after a workout hurt gains?

King Joffery

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I see conflicting info on this and was wondering if anyone has had any experience and whether it should be avoided after a workout and if so for how long?

I'm not doing ice-bath immersion or anything just cold water swimming (not super cold, about 55 degrees for about 45 mins) so would that be enough to inhibit gains after a workout? Would it be best to do it on alternating days?

Its ok during deload weeks. Its vastly overrated though as sleep and calories are much more important.

I see conflicting info on this and was wondering if anyone has had any experience and whether it should be avoided after a workout and if so for how long?

I'm not doing ice-bath immersion or anything just cold water swimming (not super cold, about 55 degrees for about 45 mins) so would that be enough to inhibit gains after a workout? Would it be best to do it on alternating days?
55 is around ice bath temperature.

55 is around ice bath temperature.
Is it? just assumed it was lower. That's the temperature of sea here and it doesn't feel too cold but then again I am swimming and have been slowly acclimatizing to it so that probably helps.

Interested in info also. Ice baths and cold plunging keeps popping up. Heard a few of them say don't do it on heavy lifting days. Pool is dropping but it's not in the low 50s like an ice bath.

There is some systemic and local inflammation that's needed after a hard workout to kick start the recovery process. I wouldn't want to impede that personally, so doing it immediately afterwards makes no sense to me. I rinse off in cold water after my showers every night for about 5mins, but that's mainly to stimulate my vagus nerve for better relaxation and digestion.

I think cold water immersion helps recovery. Especially on hot days

Seems like I sleep better too when I did it

Is it? just assumed it was lower. That's the temperature of sea here and it doesn't feel too cold but then again I am swimming and have been slowly acclimatizing to it so that probably helps.
It ranges from around 50-60 although some experienced folks might take it around the 40-50 range. Water freezes at 32. Hypothermia begins in any water temperature lower than 70.

A few strongmen are heavily into it, aswell as alternating hot and cold. But usually thats later on in the day instead of straight after a workout. Luke Stoltman is a big fan of cold water therapy and regulary goes for swims very early in the morning when its cold, especially as he and his brother live quite high up in Scotland so its quite cold up there later on in the year.

The ideal temperature can be up for debate. As can the benefits.
But 55 degrees is not an ice bath. No ice is required to reach that temperature, just turn the cold tap on in your bath tub. Iced water will generally be around 5 degrees C.
You don't recommend below 50 to someone who is starting out. Do you ever partake in this? You started out at low 40s?

You don't recommend below 50 to someone who is starting out. Do you ever partake in this? You started out at low 40s?
I think the effects are negligible but if I've had a hard game or workout and it's very hot out and I have an ice tub available to me then I'll use it. It's particularly nice if I'm beat up and bruised. Temp in the 40s for sure.

Workouts cause inflammation, which cause growth.
Cold reduces inflammation.

It's acceptable to deduce that cold would reduce growth caused by workouts.

I wonder if ice baths through reducing inflammation would support greater volume in training per cycle.

Maybe the adaption per session would be less due to the reduction, but overall you would be able to train more.

I know if when I was lifting 3 times a week, stand up work 5-6 times a week and running a few times a week, I would have accepted some reduction of efficiency per session to increase my recovery in between each session.

Workouts cause inflammation, which cause growth.
Cold reduces inflammation.

It's acceptable to deduce that cold would reduce growth caused by workouts.
Is inflammation the cause of growth or just a byproduct of the process? I would be really surprised if using a cold tub had any noticeable effect .

Is inflammation the cause of growth or just a byproduct of the process? I would be really surprised if using a cold tub had any noticeable effect .
There's this study at least.

I wonder if ice baths through reducing inflammation would support greater volume in training per cycle.

Maybe the adaption per session would be less due to the reduction, but overall you would be able to train more.

I know if when I was lifting 3 times a week, stand up work 5-6 times a week and running a few times a week, I would have accepted some reduction of efficiency per session to increase my recovery in between each session.
Ice baths will probably enable you to train slightly more, so they might be helpful if you do a lot of skill training or have intense sparring/fights/games/... that are hard to recover from but you need to recover from asap.

I've read that ice baths are a benefit to athletes who need to train their skills frequently, but detrimental to muscle growth. I am not a scientist.

I've read that ice baths are a benefit to athletes who need to train their skills frequently, but detrimental to muscle growth. I am not a scientist.
This. The inflammatory process is essentially the point of resistance training, the only reason you'd want to shut it down is if it was after skills type training session so you can fit in more training volume or compete.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4594298/ "These data suggest that CWI attenuates the acute changes in satellite cell numbers and activity of kinases that regulate muscle hypertrophy, which may translate to smaller long-term training gains in muscle strength and hypertrophy. The use of CWI as a regular post-exercise recovery strategy should be reconsidered."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24552795/ "Long-term strength training adaptations in trained subjects can be negatively affected by CWI. However, effects were small, and the practical relevance relative to possible recovery effects needs to be considered in a sports practical setting."

Back