• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does being an MMA fan give you an innate advantage in street fights?

if you've never actually been hit for real you aren't going to be as composed after.
Al Bundy, with 4 TD's in one game, would likely be a real problem.​

If you've EVER been hit from a real man with bad intent, you WOULD understand after you woke up.

A very slight advantage, understanding the concept of mount could win the day , a lot of street fights look like a monkey fucking a football when they hit the ground .
This very very slight advantage would be easily surpassed by someone with 2 months of actual Bjj training
I could not disagree more strongly with this. Mount is an extremely difficult position for an untrained person to maintain. Conversely, closed guard is not a particularly effective position for an untrained person. Half guard (bottom) is a completely ineffective position for an untrained person.

If you want to know what happens when an unskilled person takes the mount, watch Jason Delucia vs Scott Baker from UFC 2. The fighters comically pass to mount over and over, only to get instantly reversed and restart the sequence.

I could not disagree more strongly with this. Mount is an extremely difficult position for an untrained person to maintain. Conversely, closed guard is not a particularly effective position for an untrained person. Half guard (bottom) is a completely ineffective position for an untrained person.

If you want to know what happens when an unskilled person takes the mount, watch Jason Delucia vs Scott Baker from UFC 2. The fighters comically pass to mount over and over, only to get instantly reversed and restart the sequence.
I’m going to have to disagree with you , we’ve all seen steet fight videos on YouTube where both untrained jackasses tire very quickly and one of them ends up sitting on the others chest pounding away .
I agree with an untrained person not being able to utilize guard or half guard , but that would make it easier for someone with a size advantage to attain mount .
But it’s all relative to the people in the confrontation

Bobby is the Palhares of the streets

<{jackyeah}>

Bobby wins by submission (kneebar) 0:53 over Palhares

cat-high-five.gif
I'd have to hit Paul Harris with a brick or some shit, and it's debatable whether or not that would slow him. It's a topic that frowned upon today, but we will say he doesn't know his own strength

As someone who actually competes im going to say no. If you try to mimic shooting a take down or slipping punches without actually training it you're going to fail miserably. And trust me, if you've never actually been hit for real you aren't going to be as composed after.

I could see this being the case for a lot of people: https://www.theonion.com/report-average-male-4-000-less-effective-in-fights-th-1819576624
This is a troll post. No way anyone who is interested in fighting could possibly ask that.

Sorry I think watching pride is better I walk around with chain links and howl at the sky randomly. Haven't had anyone bother me.

The best offense is a good defense. I've won 100% of would be street fights with this method.

images.jpg

A completely untrained person is screwed no matter what. Closed guard is what allows any weakling to defend themselves against a stronger idiot attacker though. It doesn't take much training or brains to be able to apply an arm bar from guard when the untrained attacker starts trying to punch your lights out.

The irony is that every untrained person has the exact mindset as the OP, which is a massive overestimation of their actual skill level and a complete ignorance of how actual fights play out in practice.

But it's okay, because he watches UFC in the weekend and regurlarly does 'shadow grappling'.
And a serious underestimation of people that fight on the streets. You would want to watch A LOT of ufc before you ran in to Tank Abott.

A completely untrained person is screwed no matter what. Closed guard is what allows any weakling to defend themselves against a stronger idiot attacker though. It doesn't take much training or brains to be able to apply an arm bar from guard when the untrained attacker starts trying to punch your lights out.
You don't fight on teh streets much do you...

A very slight advantage, understanding the concept of mount could win the day , a lot of street fights look like a monkey fucking a football when they hit the ground .
This very very slight advantage would be easily surpassed by someone with 2 months of actual Bjj training
On daTech Street you easily might get from brawl type fight vs one guy till 1 guy attempting to fight with you 1 vs 1 in front TILL this plus for example such guy plus some other 2-3 guys throwing, kicking and puncing + use everything awailable to hurt you.
So definitely " belt " etc will " help " a lot.
Especially if you will get stabbed or shot from behind...cinema in morgue might happen.

This is a troll post. No way anyone who is interested in fighting could possibly ask that.
Most likely. While watching fights might help for guy to see potential set ups for attack opponent will do etc. Especially if guy is watching this at 0,5 speed or 0,25 speed and set ups are very important.

However even basis for SD might be taught only in person ....not in internet ....and mandatory stuff is to have normal instructors and ....episodes with completely uncooperative, actively resisting/ attacking opponent ....there is 0 way other than this. Even to learn basics...

On daTech Street you easily might get from brawl type fight vs one guy till 1 guy attempting to fight with you 1 vs 1 in front TILL this plus for example such guy plus some other 2-3 guys throwing, kicking and puncing + use everything awailable to hurt you.
So definitely " belt " etc will " help " a lot.
Especially if you will get stabbed or shot from behind...cinema in morgue might happen.
IMG_1980.gif

sure dont
Smart man. It's a shit idea. On a side note most people seriously underestimate "street" fighters. Most real "streetfighters" have a background in legit fighting. Check out the history of English doormen or the gypsys. I guarantee you don't want to take on one of them lads lightly.

I always wonder why guys are thinking that if they will have conflict " on the street " or in pub then opponent always will be ALONE ONE vs you till end of fight, will be not trained and without experience and this beauty adventure will be unarmed 1 vs 1....
daTech Street isn't description for not sanctioned fight....it is rough street etc reality.

Maybe. I feel like most people would hurt themselves trying some shit they saw in a mma fight lol. I definitely have some buddies who think they can get out of submissions because they saw a fighter do it a couple times.

But I'd say it's better to recognize what good fighting looks like and understand where people are positionally weak or strong

All these years and I would have just had to be a fan of Paco de Lucia to play guitar.

Someone who writes about street fights in the header has a whole set of other problems in his life than fighting. Imprisoned in his teenage years.
Maybe its just my impression from training but the guys coming to training wanting to learn "street fight" often with a thuggish appearence were the weakest mentally by far.
couldnt deal with adversity.

All these years and I would have just had to be a fan of Paco de Lucia to play guitar.

Someone who writes about street fights in the header has a whole set of other problems in his life than fighting. Imprisoned in his teenage years.
Maybe its just my impression from training but the guys coming to training wanting to learn "street fight" often with a thuggish appearence were the weakest mentally by far.
couldnt deal with adversity.
I think more they are ...dreaming.
BTW when you are young and a bit dumb it is easy to get criminal record...and it isn't end of life, some from these guys actually appeared trustable, normal and hardworking.

Ofc big difference is why they had get criminal record. Some does have small record while ....they had row with fraud cases under belt ....or long row with robberies in group.
Some maybe had ....did even worse things.
Someone might appeared just had some conflict and had beaten opponent enough properly....till ICU or morgue.
It is big difference.........
And these who really had a lot of shit IMHO rarely are starting threads about this theme.

Back