• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does anyone skateboard?

I did for 10 years, lost motivation and interest after breaking my foot. The youth are so lucky these days there are skateparks everywhere now, all I had was a 6ft+ steel rusty half pipe that was 5km away and some shitty street spots.

The overall quality is way better too, we had a skatepark in my state in a small country town that was literally just flat circle with not a single obstacle.

I used to when I was 12, like every other kid back in the early 2000s. But my knee is shot.

I did for 10 years, lost motivation and interest after breaking my foot. The youth are so lucky these days there are skateparks everywhere now, all I had was a 6ft+ steel rusty half pipe that was 5km away and some shitty street spots.

The overall quality is way better too, we had a skatepark in my state in a small country town that was literally just flat circle with not a single obstacle.

there’s a YouTube series by David Gravette/Bronson called worst skatepark ever where he travels the country trying to rip shitty parks it’s really funny.

After the Iraq War destroyed my body....i dont skate the way I used to. Im also not as indestructable as i used to be. When i eat shit....i usually stay down a little longer.

When i was a kid, all we did was Skate. We were too poor for anything else. Lol

that’s cool, never experienced this kind of skate culture. You get any clips at any of these legendary spots?
Because styles make tricks just like how styles make fights, I think the greatest skater to tame Hubba is Jeremy Wray; no-one front flips or 360 ollies like Jeremy. Here he is at Hubba with some timeless grinds and slides – enjoy: (time-stamped)

El Toro is still largely untamed, IMO, because not many tricks by even the best have been thrown down and ridden off bolts (meaning cleanly stuck landing). In skating (flat, not vert), there are two main styles or skater DNA, to say: technical, and gap. The newer breed of gap skater is embodied by guys like Brandon Westgate or Chris Joslin. Here's the latter trying to tame the beast and failing to meet the objective:

If you like drops in general, Jamie Thomas' leap of faith still inspires all these years on: (time-stamped)

41 years old now. Started skating in around 1995. Skated hard from 1995-2003. I was sponsored by a skateshop. Partied a lot and barely skated from 2003-2008. Didn't skate at all from 2008-2015 and started back up at around 33 years old.

It's funny looking back because I was one of the best skaters in a college town around 2000ish. When I see what those kids are doing now, it's hilarious how much better they are. Everything has progressed so much.

Because styles make tricks just like how styles make fights, I think the greatest skater to tame Hubba is Jeremy Wray; no-one front flips or 360 ollies like Jeremy. Here he is at Hubba with some timeless grinds and slides – enjoy: (time-stamped)

El Toro is still largely untamed, IMO, because not many tricks by even the best have been thrown down and ridden off bolts (meaning cleanly stuck landing). In skating (flat, not vert), there are two main styles or skater DNA, to say: technical, and gap. The newer breed of gap skater is embodied by guys like Brandon Westgate or Chris Joslin. Here's the latter trying to tame the beast and failing to meet the objective:

If you like drops in general, Jamie Thomas' leap of faith still inspires all these years on: (time-stamped)

Want to peep some of these spots with my own eyes. Only legendary spots I’ve seen in person were Brooklyn banks and sunset car wash.

Want to peep some of these spots with my own eyes. Only legendary spots I’ve seen in person were Brooklyn banks and sunset car wash.
I feel that, definitely. Respect.

Another (relatively) nearby nug for you that doesn't translate well over camera is the Hollywood High 16; worth an in-person visit to lay eyes on. The drop on that stairwell is unconventionally scary and has daunted the best for years with an iron gate cordoning the area off for very difficult ride-away. Andrew Reynolds in the past had crushed it there, uniquely.

e/ Found something nice for you there from Andrew: (time-stamped)

Have skateboarded most of my life. Made flow team for deck company in early 2000s but wasn't able to break into am; a spot never opened and I didn't want to travel to compete. Getting banger footie for company reels especially at famous nugs like El Toro, Hubba Hideout, and Hamburg's Congress Centre, then placing in comps are how you get tracked for team pro spot, typically. Teams will vibe-check you as you come up from flow and am, to add, so it's important you've potential to get along or fit a kind of attitude local to that team.

Have skated with former Blind teams, Geoff Rowley, Gershon Mosley, Donger, Ed Templeton, Ronnie Creager, Chet Thomas, and some others.

Skating is medicine; it's healing. The pain and pride of every trick, every line, every session tunes you in to that very moment, zooming your mind out of all your yesterdays and possible tomorrows. The sound and feel of your wheels rolling over street as soon as you drop your deck and shove off is...like nothing I've ever experienced. I close my eyes and I'm there. It's forever.

As an entry point to MMA, I could see it from a pain tolerance as well as balancing standpoint and catching yourself, or intuitively self-correcting when imbalanced (like stuffing a single-leg), then in turn manipulating your opponent's balance. Have done judo myself under an Argentine (judo is all about balance conversion – yours and your opponent's) and felt as an extension to skating that I'd learnt transitioning/falling really fast despite being great at getting my butt kicked elsewhere.

Isn't it crazy to look back on the skill level then vs. now on what it would take to be sponsored? I was only sponsored by a local shop, but skated with a few guys who made am. If we were skating a flatbar for example, you'd be considered good if you were doing something like a backside lipslide, smith grind, maybe a kickflip front board, etc. All of that is pretty basic for the good kids nowadays and they are doing shit like noseblunts, kickflip b/s smith, etc. Skating a set of 7 or so stairs, if you mainly did the basics (180s, kickflip, nollie, etc.) and were able to add something like a 360 flip or frontside flip, that was solid. I've seen these kids warming up with big spins down it, switch heelflip, etc. I remember being in a game of SKATE competition sponsored by our shop. I made it pretty far with just basic stuff (360 flip, switch heelflip, hardflip, b/s flip, b/s heelflip, halfcab flips, etc.) That stuff is warmup for the good kids nowadays.

Nope!

I did as a teenager. I tried a few times in my 20s and even then falling as a full grown man hurt too much. I could brush it off when I was a kid but when you can't walk properly to work as an adult because you keep falling doing a hobby it's not worth it

Isn't it crazy to look back on the skill level then vs. now on what it would take to be sponsored? I was only sponsored by a local shop, but skated with a few guys who made am. If we were skating a flatbar for example, you'd be considered good if you were doing something like a backside lipslide, smith grind, maybe a kickflip front board, etc. All of that is pretty basic for the good kids nowadays and they are doing shit like noseblunts, kickflip b/s smith, etc. Skating a set of 7 or so stairs, if you mainly did the basics (180s, kickflip, nollie, etc.) and were able to add something like a 360 flip or frontside flip, that was solid. I've seen these kids warming up with big spins down it, switch heelflip, etc. I remember being in a game of SKATE competition sponsored by our shop. I made it pretty far with just basic stuff (360 flip, switch heelflip, hardflip, b/s flip, b/s heelflip, halfcab flips, etc.) That stuff is warmup for the good kids nowadays.

I watch skate videos almost daily and am constantly shocked to learn some of these guys ripping haven’t turned pro yet.

I watch skate videos almost daily and am constantly shocked to learn some of these guys ripping haven’t turned pro yet.

I like watching the videos of just a normal day of skating. It's crazy how consistent they are. Tom Asta is a good example of that.

I recently did 41 tricks on my 41st birthday. I gave myself a week which was about 3 days of skating for an hour or so. I bet these guys could do all of it without warmup without missing!

What does everyone skate for deck and shoe brands?

I’ve been skating Limosine decks because I like the graphics and Max Palmer is a skater whose style I enjoy. But Real decks are actually my favorite shape.

Last Resort for shoes. Stylish enough to wear out and not plastered with logos but they still have some quality control issues they are ironing out. Almost there with their newer versions.

Current favorite skater is Rowan Zorilla. Has an almost effortless smooth style and a zen-like oneness with his board. Always seems to be having fun and not taking himself too seriously.

I like watching the videos of just a normal day of skating. It's crazy how consistent they are. Tom Asta is a good example of that.

I recently did 41 tricks on my 41st birthday. I gave myself a week which was about 3 days of skating for an hour or so. I bet these guys could do all of it without warmup without missing!

that’s a fucking impressive bag of tricks. I’ve never been that coordinated with my feet. Excelled at all these jock sports like rugby and combat sports but would trade that talent in to be better at skating.

Real or Antihero for deck. I either skate ES Accel Slim or something similar.

that’s a fucking impressive bag of tricks. I’ve never been that coordinated with my feet. Excelled at all these jock sports like rugby and combat sports but would trade that talent in to be better at skating.

It included really easy warmup stuff though, and I also used my ledge, rail, and quarterpipe. It was still a struggle lol

Back