• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doctor Sleep was one of the best Horror movies ever

You have the wrong Wonka in your avi, stick to your own generation.
8cf11479f0e946db48cda84a6be07b93.jpg

I refuse to acknowledge that remake as authentic.

I don't remember how I felt about part 1, but part 2 was terrible.

IT chapter 1 was riding that 80s Stranger Things/Goonies kids theme that was really big in 2016-2017. It had some entertainment value there though highly flawed.

Chapter 2 was so bad I almost turned it off. All of the redeeming qualities of the first one were gone.

The aggravating thing is Chapter 2 made more money in it's opening day than the entire run of Dr Sleep.

Saw it last night. Definitely good. Exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

Horror though? That's a tough one. There are definitely horrific elements to it, but I think it fits more with dark fantasy. It was like a very twisted X-Men flick.

I agree with all of this. I was really disappointed that the bad guys just went down when you shot them, I mean this isn't Tombstone.

I think that was fine, but they really failed to emphasize how weak the group had become, that would leave them so vulnerable. There are nuggets here and there, but I don't think they conveyed it to the audience all that well. I think under good circumstances, they just naturally heal from most wounds, but they were all essentially starving and weak as shit. Again though, I don't think the movie conveyed that as well as it could have.

There is a plot hole that had been bothering me a bit. Was watching the Shining and I am like why didn't those ghosts/monsters pester the head chef "Dick Hallorann"? At the end of Dr. Sleep all these spirits bum rushed and killed a powerful Rose so why couldn't they do that against Dick while he was working there? Also he taught Danny the box trick to trap these spirits. Why the hell didn't he use that when he was working at the hotel to trap all those ghosts?

Was that explained in the books? Methink I might have to read them...

I watched it last night, it wasn't bad at all. The fx were chintzy and I wish they called it anything else but steam but it was enjoyable.

There is a plot hole that had been bothering me a bit. Was watching the Shining and I am like why didn't those ghosts/monsters pester the head chef "Dick Hallorann"? At the end of Dr. Sleep all these spirits bum rushed and killed a powerful Rose so why couldn't they do that against Dick while he was working there? Also he taught Danny the box trick to trap these spirits. Why the hell didn't he use that when he was working at the hotel to trap all those ghosts?

Was that explained in the books? Methink I might have to read them...
my memory is fuzzy, but Danny has a particularly strong shine which may have triggered the ghosts/monsters harder than Dick. The box trick was a completely random new device introduced in Dr Sleep.

Book-wise, Dr Sleep was a huge let down coming off of The Shining. For me, Dr Sleep is one of those uncommon examples of where the film adaptation is superior than the novel.

my memory is fuzzy, but Danny has a particularly strong shine which may have triggered the ghosts/monsters harder than Dick. The box trick was a completely random new device introduced in Dr Sleep.

Book-wise, Dr Sleep was a huge let down coming off of The Shining. For me, Dr Sleep is one of those uncommon examples of where the film adaptation is superior than the novel.

Ahhh so the box trick wasn't in the books... damn.. whatta cop-out...

Dr. Sleep isn't worth reading then... grrr…

I may just read the Shining then. Never read it.

Ahhh so the box trick wasn't in the books... damn.. whatta cop-out...

Dr. Sleep isn't worth reading then... grrr…

I may just read the Shining then. Never read it.
no i mean, it was in the Dr Sleep book, but there wasn't anything like that in the book for Shining. It was introduced in Dr Sleep, but if you're looking for a backstory about the box, you're going to be disappointed. It was just sorta like.. "Here, I got this box, use it"

Dr Sleep isn't worth reading regardless, Shining is worth the read. Shining is pretty neat b/c there are significant differences b/w the book and film, but both stand on their own and are great respectively.

Last edited:
Sequel to the shining novel

God damn, it was so good.
Brilliantly written, highly intelligent, phenomenal acting and just straight up chilling.

Came out at the end of 2019.
People slept on this movie HARD.

easily one of the best films of the last 10 years

I'm watching it now partly because of this thread. Love it so far. Midway through.

Edit : 'Ka's a wheel'. Nice dark tower reference.

Last edited:
Back