• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doctor Sleep was one of the best Horror movies ever

I'm a huge fan of horror. I watch every horror movie I can, read horror novels and I've had a few short stories published as well. I've read almost everything King wrote.

Lately King is writing more thrillers and supernatural thrillers than actual horror, that's where I'd place Dr. Sleep. Very good movie but it straddles the line between supernatural thriller and horror.
agreed it like 80% superhero movie.

I thought it was fairly run of the mill, tbh. I think I enjoyed it as much as I did out of sentimentality.
I recently watched The Wailing, which for my money, is a far superior horror film.

It was ok, returning to the hotel was sort of dumb and hurt the story imo.
i feel the exact opposite, the first 2/3rds were 'ok fine..' for me, then the 'it's time to go back to where it all started..' shot my interest up 800%.. but i'm a major mark for the original book and movie.

Considering also, how easy it is to make a terrible movie nevermind a Shining sequel, I think Dr Sleep beat expectations.

Even if done right (it wasn’t) I wouldn’t like the ending. Danny beat the house as a child. His shine was decent, and the house wanted to take him, but couldn’t. I really don’t even think that’s a fitting end for that character.

And again, some explanation for the shine of the hotel should have been in there. A better reason for returning etc... The spirits should have been released and allowed to be at peace once the house was destroyed. The house turned souls sour.

As a writer, I would have done something for the fans in explaining the house. Hell, make it a Stephen king shared universe and have Pascow from pet cemetery tell Danny “the ground is sour” or something along those lines. The lore of the hotel would have been more interesting than the plight of the soul sucker gang etc...

The reason for returning to the hotel really was non-existent. Destroying the hotel should have released the souls. The little girls murdered weren’t likely “evil” etc...

I just know I could have written it more interesting than what the movie showed.

I actually went to the theater to see this, and I thought it was just okay. Way too long, and Rose the Hat wasn't a strong villain. I liked that the movie was being it's own thing apart from just being a clone of The Shining... that is until the last 30 minutes where it's all just a giant nostalgic retread. I wanted to like this more than I did.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of horror. I watch every horror movie I can, read horror novels and I've had a few short stories published as well. I've read almost everything King wrote.

Lately King is writing more thrillers and supernatural thrillers than actual horror, that's where I'd place Dr. Sleep. Very good movie but it straddles the line between supernatural thriller and horror.
Yeahit's not really a horror

Definitely more of a supernatural thriller

Sequel to the shining novel

God damn, it was so good.
Brilliantly written, highly intelligent, phenomenal acting and just straight up chilling.

Came out at the end of 2019.
People slept on this movie HARD.

easily one of the best films of the last 10 years

I'll admit I just saw it recently. Originally ignored it because quite frankly The Shining wasn't my generation and even though I've seen it, I always found it a little hokey. Maybe it was cool back when you would have been burned as a witch for producing an iPhone, but it was kind of lame to me.

So I got bored enough to finally watch Doctor Sleep and I immediately loved it. Super cool idea for a plot and with modern CGI, everything looked really sharp. I imagine this is how old people felt about the original back when it was fresh.

So yeah I recommend it!

I'll admit I just saw it recently. Originally ignored it because quite frankly The Shining wasn't my generation and even though I've seen it, I always found it a little hokey. Maybe it was cool back when you would have been burned as a witch for producing an iPhone, but it was kind of lame to me.

So I got bored enough to finally watch Doctor Sleep and I immediately loved it. Super cool idea for a plot and with modern CGI, everything looked really sharp. I imagine this is how old people felt about the original back when it was fresh.

So yeah I recommend it!

You have the wrong Wonka in your avi, stick to your own generation.
8cf11479f0e946db48cda84a6be07b93.jpg

There's a lot of little nuggets lost on people who say this I feel

It is the sequel to a Kubrick film after all, they were not fucking around when it comes to nuance, subtly, symbolism.

Gotta love the whole “if you don’t agree with me you just aren’t smart enough to get it” attitude displayed here.

Gotta love the whole “if you don’t agree with me you just aren’t smart enough to get it” attitude displayed here.
Nuance, subtly and symbolism tends to go over most people's heads, especially in a Kubrick film. He is known to go a lot deeper than many care to look.

Often times people arent very bright in general, a concept I'm sure you know quite well.

You should probably leave the thinking to others. We've already clearly established it isn't your strong suit.

Nuance, subtly and symbolism tends to go over most people's heads, especially in a Kubrick film. He is known to go a lot deeper than many care to look.

Often times people arent very bright in general, a concept I'm sure you know quite well.

You should probably leave the thinking to others. We've already clearly established it isn't your strong suit.

And out come the passive aggressive “I’m smarter than you” digs. You’re literally making my point. Also Doctor Sleep isn’t a Kubrick film.

I actually liked it better than the original. Mind you I read the books for both and actually felt The Shining had too many dragged out portions.

And out come the passive aggressive “I’m smarter than you” digs. You’re literally making my point. Also Doctor Sleep isn’t a Kubrick film.
Meant to say sequel to a Kubrick film.

I argued with you and you're like a brick wall with no critical thought of your own. You want the easiest answers, it's not me who has the issue for calling out your oversimplistic thought process.

Nothing passive aggressive about it, pretty straight forward.

Do you really think I care if I'm smarter than someone like you?

Just move on dude. Nobody gives a shit what you think.

You waste my time with every response i have to type out. I dont have the patience or energy. Come with something real or move along.

Whoa, hold up. It was entertaining. A bit cheesy at times but I enjoyed it overall. As the Shining is my favorite all time movie, I enjoyed the detail that was put into recreating the Overlook.
But one of the best horror films of all time?? Like, up there with the Shining, Rosemary’s Baby, Halloween...?
Absolutely not. No way. If I was ranking best horror films, Dr. Sleep would be like #237 (see what I did there)?

Meant to say sequel to a Kubrick film.

I argued with you and you're like a brick wall with no critical thought of your own. You want the easiest answers, it's not me who has the issue for calling out your oversimplistic thought process.

Nothing passive aggressive about it, pretty straight forward.

Do you really think I care if I'm smarter than someone like you?

Just move on dude. Nobody gives a shit what you think.

You waste my time with every response i have to type out. I dont have the patience or energy. Come with something real or move along.

I absolutely do not. I asked for more evidence that 2Pac was killed by some higher powers than some cheap documentary made by his bodyguard which lets be honest no one would care about unless it made some wild claims. You refused to do this. I wasn’t arguing just repeatedly asking for some more evidence which you failed to provide. So respectfully why don’t you take your own advice and “come with something real”.

I absolutely do not. I asked for more evidence that 2Pac was killed by some higher powers than some cheap documentary made by his bodyguard which lets be honest no one would care about unless it made some wild claims. You refused to do this. I wasn’t arguing just repeatedly asking for some more evidence which you failed to provide. So respectfully why don’t you take your own advice and “come with something real”.
theres a lot of alternative theories and evidence. It's a matter of putting the time and effort in to consider every side of the argument instead of blindly accepting the most obvious and mainstream answer like the sheep you are.

I said more than enough. I threw out a few Pearls.

If you arent willing to do your own homework, there's nothing more I can say.

I dont have the time or patience to accept and support such intellectual laziness. Someone who cant be bothered to do basic research before speaking with absolute conviction.

Waste someone else's time. I don't have anything to talk about with someone like you.

theres a lot of alternative theories and evidence. It's a matter of putting the time and effort in to consider every side of the argument instead of blindly accepting the most obvious and mainstream answer like the sheep you are.

I said more than enough. I threw out a few Pearls.

If you arent willing to do your own homework, there's nothing more I can say.

I dont have the time or patience to accept and support such intellectual laziness. Someone who cant be bothered to do basic research before speaking with absolute conviction.

Waste someone else's time. I don't have anything to talk about with someone like you.

Once again absolutely zero evidence of any kind. Thanks for making my point.

Once again absolutely zero evidence of any kind. Thanks for making my point.
Much was said, but you cant be bothered to fact check or put the pieces together yourself.

I dont have the patience to hold someones hand to every answer.

You're a guy who took the paid testimony of Orlando Anderson's uncle as gospel and does nothing to question beyond this.

Like 2 guys confessed to shooting Tupac. Do we believe them too?

That's evidence? But a 90 minute documentary detailing in depth, all the circumstances surrounding the night of the shooting and prior by his own body guards is irrelevant. A documentary you cant even be bothered to watch before writing it off entirely.

A lot was shown on that documentary. At the very least, it paints a very clear picture that this wasnt something that happened in the spur of the moment. It was planned well in advance.

Theres more. A lot more. But if you cant even be bothered to do that, why would I possibly waste my time?

What a joke.

Back