Do you wash your belt?

why does anyone consider this an interesting topic to talk about?

why does anyone consider this an interesting topic to talk about?

Probably because if people would just wash their gear in general, most of us would get ringworm less often.

This thread is funnier than most troll jobs in the heavies. Lol

And for the record I have never once washed the belt or the gi...

I train no-gi, but I do wash all my gear afterwards.

I also use sulfur soap. I don't like infections

At least spray it down with lysol. Your belt comes in contact with dudes skin, sweat, and the mat just as much as any other part of you/your gi.

No never Staph, ringworm and general dirtiness for all. No of course I do, and it also makes my Blue belt look older =)

Wow that's terrible... but who actually puts their belt back into the plastic bag? That stuff growing on there didn't necessarily come from training, just the moisture alone trapped in the bag will be a breeding ground for mold.

Yeah not sure if the guy kept it in there or put it in there after seeing the mold.

Regardless, its almost a no-brainer to wash your belt.

only when it starts smelling like cured italian meats and cheeses

Yes, with the blood and sweat of my enemies.

joking

Yeah dude, wash your belt. Don't be the stinky kid in class.

Probably because if people would just wash their gear in general, most of us would get ringworm less often.

probably has more to do with you not bathing yourself than the belt being dirty.

probably has more to do with you not bathing yourself than the belt being dirty.

We take reasonable steps to keep ourselves clean like showering when we get home. Therefore, you dirty bastards should also take reasonable steps to keep yourselves clean like washing your gear. Only in your twisted minds is washing a regular piece of cloth in the regular washing machine a crazy idea.

Nobody is advocating some sort of radical bubble boy environment. Just wash your stuff after use like you wash anything else after use.

Do you guys realize how ridiculous it is to refuse to wash a piece of athletic equipment that is easily washed? Before anyone chimes in with the stupid tradition comments, read my earlier posts.

Nobody is saying that you have to go out of your way and inconvenience yourself to wash your belt. Just put it in the wash when you wash your other stuff. It takes zero extra effort and saves everyone unnecessary exposure to communicable disease.

If you end up washing your belt every couple of times because you wear the same belt with multiple gis that you launder all at once, whatever. Nobody is flipping out about that. But straight up refusing to wash your belt ever is disgusting and has no basis. It's actually funny to what lengths you guys will go to justify your illogical and superstitious practices in the face of overwhelming factual evidence to the contrary.

Just be glad that you guys walked into a BJJ school before you walked in an Aikido one because you already have the silly TMA mindset ready to be exploited.

We take reasonable steps to keep ourselves clean like showering when we get home. Therefore, you dirty bastards should also take reasonable steps to keep yourselves clean like washing your gear. Only in your twisted minds is washing a regular piece of cloth in the regular washing machine a crazy idea.

Nobody is advocating some sort of radical bubble boy environment. Just wash your stuff after use like you wash anything else after use.

Do you guys realize how ridiculous it is to refuse to wash a piece of athletic equipment that is easily washed? Before anyone chimes in with the stupid tradition comments, read my earlier posts.

Nobody is saying that you have to go out of your way and inconvenience yourself to wash your belt. Just put it in the wash when you wash your other stuff. It takes zero extra effort and saves everyone unnecessary exposure to communicable disease.

If you end up washing your belt every couple of times because you wear the same belt with multiple gis that you launder all at once, whatever. Nobody is flipping out about that. But straight up refusing to wash your belt ever is disgusting and has no basis. It's actually funny to what lengths you guys will go to justify your illogical and superstitious practices in the face of overwhelming factual evidence to the contrary.

Just be glad that you guys walked into a BJJ school before you walked in an Aikido one because you already have the silly TMA mindset ready to be exploited.

guy don't call me a dirty bastard; i never said i didn't wash my belt, i just said that you people take it way, way too seriously (you know, to the point of calling people dirty bastards)

guy don't call me a dirty bastard; i never said i didn't wash my belt, i just said that you people take it way, way too seriously (you know, to the point of calling people dirty bastards)

I meant in the general sense for the people who don't. Hence the plural. But I can see the confusion since I replied to your comment.

If you wash your belt, then it doesn't apply. But for anyone who doesn't, he is, by any reasonable definition, a dirty bastard.

I wash it everyonce in a while...

Every couple days... I only have one belt and several gis which get hung outside in the sun immediatly after class/wash.

Back