Do you wash your belt?

I am amazed people still think washing your belt washes away your knowledge.

if its true than Jordan must of been one stinky motherfucker.

I didn't know that was the reason you're not supposed to wash it, my teacher just told me that you are not supposed to. I figured it was a tradition like bowing. Well, at least I got promoted and am not wearing that stinky sweaty white belt anymore. :icon_chee

yup, everytime.. If im throwing in my Gi, might as well throw my belt in too

And if he isn't, then he's an asshole.

We all are blessed and cursed with the right to chose what we'll be....good or an asshole.

He's chosen.

I feel like choosing whether or not to wash a two inch piece of fabric dangling from one's waist is a pretty weak criterion for drawing the line between "good" and "asshole".

I feel like choosing whether or not to wash a two inch piece of fabric dangling from one's waist is a pretty weak criterion for drawing the line between "good" and "asshole".

I appreciate your thoughts.

I wouldn't say that it makes him a global asshole....just a dirty belting having asshole.

That's a subclass, so it's not so all encompassing.

Oh I know. I respect my training partners. I do right by them.

But unless his school is going to go on a witch hunt, he's going to have to be the one to police himself. And if he isn't, then he's an asshole.

We all are blessed and cursed with the right to chose what we'll be....good or an asshole.

He's chosen.

dude you realize your up against centuries worth of tradition.

back in the old days students were given a white belt only. and it was through time training and not washing the belt that all of the blood sweat and tears turned the white belt black. and of course generally there is a positive correlation between the slow time it took the white belt to turn black and the skills of the martial artist fighting to increase. this is the spirit that is preserved when not washing your belt.

so the hell with you and your punk ass ideals ideals of washing the belt.

back in the old days students were given a white belt only. and it was through time training and not washing the belt that all of the blood sweat and tears turned the white belt black. and of course generally there is a positive correlation between the slow time it took the white belt to turn black and the skills of the martial artist fighting to increase. this is the spirit that is preserved when not washing your belt.

That's a myth. You have a bacteria farm aroud your waist for a lie.

They didn't have washing machines and they didn't have micro-scopes.

Obviously, we don't do this anymore....because they sell damned black belts....already freaking black.

People used to not bath but once a year, because they thought it was dangerous. You want to go back that?

I typically dont think to wash it... but I do often.

I hate the tape falling off though. Gets annoying.

They didn't have washing machines and they didn't have micro-scopes.

Obviously, we don't do this anymore....because they sell damned black belts....already freaking black.

People used to not bath but once a year, because they thought it was dangerous. You want to go back that?

bathing the body is different than washing a sacred piece of item

i don't wash my belt i don't know anybody else that does. i've been training for years and years and years and not once have i seen anybody gotten sick from an unwashed belt.

bathing the body is different than washing a sacred piece of item

i don't wash my belt i don't know anybody else that does. i've been training for years and years and years and not once have i seen anybody gotten sick from an unwashed belt.

I have plenty of sacred things and wash them with care.

You're talking about a silly superstition.

Most people can't scrape the crap off their body, point at it and say "yep, this came off a belt" or "no, this here is foot fungus...left toe."

If anyone at your gym has ever gotten a skin infection, you can't say for sure that it wasn't the dirty belt.

Lol

You realize that ranking belts did not even exist at all until 1886 right? Jigoro Kano made them up for his new Judo system.

Martial arts systems have existed for many centuries as you said, but none of those ever used ranking belts. Period. No white belts, no black belts, no brownish sweaty/bloody/teary dirty belts, no colored belts of any meaning at all.

You know nothing about martial arts history, and you infect your training partners on the side as well. Talk about being a punk ass.

Also, I hope you realize that the current BJJ belt system was invented in the 1970s.

When Helio and Carlos first started teaching, the student ranks were white belt for beginner student and blue belt for advanced student. Instructors wore a darker kind of blue belt. So I guess after years of blood, sweat, and tears, their white belts would eventually turn...blue?

So much for your centuries of tradition when it is literally like 40 years old.

no fucking way, ill keep my bjj knowledge thank you

no fucking way, ill keep my bjj knowledge thank you

Why do they give you a new, clean belt when you get promoted?

Wouldn't that entirely defeat this purpose?

Do you have any idea how retarded this is?

Back